NHL Season suspended - Now what?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

NHL Season suspended - Now what?

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: NHL Season suspended - Now what?

Post by Strangelove »

Zamboni Driver wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:48 pm Will there be playoffs?
I can't see it.

Will the 2020-21 season start on time?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:55 pm
Zamboni Driver wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:48 pm Will there be playoffs?
I can't see it.

Will the 2020-21 season start on time?
Sure hope so but that's a much better question imo. I do not foresee playoffs being played.

Of course who really knows though...
el rey del mambo
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Amusingly, the Canucks haven't had time for the previously-scheduled March swoon, so they're still in the playoffs #8 spot. (Barely)
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Zamboni Driver wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:08 pm Amusingly, the Canucks haven't had time for the previously-scheduled March swoon, so they're still in the playoffs #8 spot. (Barely)
I we lose the pick without actually playing playoff games it won't go over well around these parts I don't think.

I know I won't be thrilled about it myself.
el rey del mambo
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

I'm choosing to believe we give up the pick in 2021...
Cherry Picker wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:49 pm I’m thinking there is better than 50% chance the season and playoffs are done. If that happens the interesting questions for the Canucks are do they surrender their first round pick if they don’t make the playoffs? If there are no playoffs they can’t have made them. And secondly who is a lottery team if no one makes the playoffs? Does this open the possibility of another lottery with every team getting balls, like the Crosby lottery? Wouldn’t that be the precedent?
Hmmm...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_NHL_Entry_Draft
The lottery was held on 22 July, the same day that the new CBA was approved. The top-rated prospect in this draft was Sidney Crosby, and it was widely assumed that he would be the first overall pick by whichever team won the lottery, so it became known colloquially as the 'Sidney Crosby Sweepstakes'.

Teams were weighted based on playoff appearances in the last three completed seasons, and first overall picks in the last four drafts.Three lottery balls each were assigned to teams which had not qualified for any of those playoffs and received no first overall picks in that period. Teams which had one playoff appearance or first overall pick in those years were given two lottery balls. All other teams received one lottery ball.
OH BABY! :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Aren't all the players in the right age group to just play it out online? There has to be multi-player version of NHL20 out there, right?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:17 pm .
I'm choosing to believe we give up the pick in 2021...
Cherry Picker wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:49 pm I’m thinking there is better than 50% chance the season and playoffs are done. If that happens the interesting questions for the Canucks are do they surrender their first round pick if they don’t make the playoffs? If there are no playoffs they can’t have made them. And secondly who is a lottery team if no one makes the playoffs? Does this open the possibility of another lottery with every team getting balls, like the Crosby lottery? Wouldn’t that be the precedent?
Hmmm...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_NHL_Entry_Draft
The lottery was held on 22 July, the same day that the new CBA was approved. The top-rated prospect in this draft was Sidney Crosby, and it was widely assumed that he would be the first overall pick by whichever team won the lottery, so it became known colloquially as the 'Sidney Crosby Sweepstakes'.

Teams were weighted based on playoff appearances in the last three completed seasons, and first overall picks in the last four drafts.Three lottery balls each were assigned to teams which had not qualified for any of those playoffs and received no first overall picks in that period. Teams which had one playoff appearance or first overall pick in those years were given two lottery balls. All other teams received one lottery ball.
OH BABY! :D
That was the Bourdon draft.

I think this is a terrific way to do the draft. I might weigh the balls a little differently. Like 3 balls of you missed last year, 2 if you missed the year before, one a year before that so a team missing the playoffs has a 7 times better chance of getting #1 overall. But I like the could get lucky system, and I don’t think tanking is good for hockey. I also think there’s a big difference between 4th overall and 9th overall, but not a huge difference between being the fourth worst team and the ninth worst.
Hono_rary Canadian
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I’d be ok with any of Lafreniere, Drysdale or Byfield
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Yes but Tampa would protest and say % wise we’re are a playoff team so therefore they should get our pick. Bettman would agree. So we would win the lottery but the pick would go to Tampa.

Just saying the hockey gawds are not kind to us.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Seems like the NHL will one way or another make the Cup happen.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Hockey Widow wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:11 pm Yes but Tampa would protest and say % wise we’re are a playoff team so therefore they should get our pick. Bettman would agree. So we would win the lottery but the pick would go to Tampa.

Yeah, Buttman definitely isn't a Canucks fan...
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:11 pm

:(
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:11 pm Yes but Tampa would protest and say % wise we’re are a playoff team so therefore they should get our pick. Bettman would agree. So we would win the lottery but the pick would go to Tampa.

My guess is that's exactly what will happen. Even if no more play happens anywhere, globally, the draft will happen via phone on time.

My other guess is the draft will happen without a lottery on this occasion. That part makes sense, I think.
"evolution"
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Hypothetically, the Canucks make the playoffs that don’t happen, and according to HW they have to give up their pick.
But the trade was lottery protected if they missed the playoffs.
Let’s say their pick wins the “Crosby style” lottery for the first overall pick.
Then do they still have to give up the pick because they made the playoffs that never happened?
That doesn’t make any sense. Even Bettman wouldn’t dare, would he?
Or let’s say the Canucks just move up a few spots to a top 15 pick in a “Crosby style” lottery, then what happens?
If there are no playoffs and the Canucks are in a lottery of any kind, they shouldn’t have to concede their pick if they don’t want to. If there are playoffs, and the Canucks are in them, and there isn’t a league wide lottery, only then should the pick be lost.
If the Canucks don’t have total control over whether or not the pick is given up, some negotiations will need to happen.
I guess a compromise might be needed that if they win a top 15 pick they can keep it. If it is 16 or higher they give it up.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.