Time for a new G-Man?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Time for a new G-Man?

Post by Meds »

Per wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:59 am I don't really see the need to panic.

Pretty much every team is going to have a hard time adjusting when their starting goalie goes down.
Demko is a great backup and a great prospect, but he is not ready to carry the team.
We just pissed away a 9 point wildcard cushion in under a month. Markstrom has only missed the last couple weeks.

Last night we lost 2-1 to an opponent that came out of the gate and quite obviously had zero legs by the 5 minute mark.....and Demko still had to play outstanding to keep us in the game at times.

This has nothing to do with losing our starting goaltender. This has everything to do with a team that still mails it in and demonstrates no killer instinct far too often.

I believe we have a mix of players that, with one or two exceptions, have within them the "killer instinct" necessary to push the pace and be successful on a regular basis.....what we don't have is a coach that stokes that fire. The only time we've had that coach in the last 20 years was when Tortorella was here for a season, and that was wasted because we had a soft team at the time that was declining from a place of league dominance and didn't respond well to a fiery bench boss.

Show Green the door, replace him with someone who won't tolerate shitty efforts, and then move out the pieces that wilt because someone said a mean word.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:26 am
Micky wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:55 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:43 am 18 straight games now with no even strength goals from Bo Horvat. That’s putrid
He should have more other then on the PP for sure but his second line partners generally consist of a washed up but rich, 34 yr. old overrated
Swedish player and a fairly heavy set X-LAer who has an on and off switch that no one can find. Not even himself.

But your right. It's unbelievable that in my whole life I wasn’t exposed to team sports. However I was one of the best tether ball players in my neighborhood and I heard other folks discuss team sports.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Mëds wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:41 pm
Per wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:59 am I don't really see the need to panic.

Pretty much every team is going to have a hard time adjusting when their starting goalie goes down.
Demko is a great backup and a great prospect, but he is not ready to carry the team.
We just pissed away a 9 point wildcard cushion in under a month. Markstrom has only missed the last couple weeks.

Last night we lost 2-1 to an opponent that came out of the gate and quite obviously had zero legs by the 5 minute mark.....and Demko still had to play outstanding to keep us in the game at times.

This has nothing to do with losing our starting goaltender. This has everything to do with a team that still mails it in and demonstrates no killer instinct far too often.

I believe we have a mix of players that, with one or two exceptions, have within them the "killer instinct" necessary to push the pace and be successful on a regular basis.....what we don't have is a coach that stokes that fire. The only time we've had that coach in the last 20 years was when Tortorella was here for a season, and that was wasted because we had a soft team at the time that was declining from a place of league dominance and didn't respond well to a fiery bench boss.

Show Green the door, replace him with someone who won't tolerate shitty efforts, and then move out the pieces that wilt because someone said a mean word.
Agree Mëds, this team for years has lacked that attitude which was why Rousell?beagle were brought in were they not?

Ferland as well but he seems to be damaged goods.

JB needs to address this somehow in the off season.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Mëds wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:41 pm Show Green the door, replace him with someone who won't tolerate shitty efforts, and then move out the pieces that wilt because someone said a mean word.
Reefer2 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:46 pm Agree Mëds, this team for years has lacked that attitude which was why Rousell?beagle were brought in were they not?
Ya; A real butt kicker! Who cares if his ties' straight and his images is all prim and proper at the effing podium. We play two absolutely atrocious
games vs the Bluejackets and both times Green says, "I liked our game." ---- or his favorite, "there was a lot I liked and a lot I didn't like".
Very creative.
How many times do we come out flat in the first period at home?
Travis disciplines mediocre efforts by demoting or restricting ice-time. That is not a very good teacher. It is a very simplistic method. If
anything, it will make some guys squeeze the sticks too hard. Panic if I make a mistake, sort of thing. What does this do? Not much.
If someone doesn't want to work or work to improve, then you let him know what the consequences will be behind a closed door meeting.
"evolution"
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Micky wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:34 am
Mëds wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:41 pm Show Green the door, replace him with someone who won't tolerate shitty efforts, and then move out the pieces that wilt because someone said a mean word.
Reefer2 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:46 pm Agree Mëds, this team for years has lacked that attitude which was why Rousell?beagle were brought in were they not?
Ya; A real butt kicker! Who cares if his ties' straight and his images is all prim and proper at the effing podium. We play two absolutely atrocious
games vs the Bluejackets and both times Green says, "I liked our game." ---- or his favorite, "there was a lot I liked and a lot I didn't like".
Very creative.
How many times do we come out flat in the first period at home?
Travis disciplines mediocre efforts by demoting or restricting ice-time. That is not a very good teacher. It is a very simplistic method. If
anything, it will make some guys squeeze the sticks too hard. Panic if I make a mistake, sort of thing.
What does this do? Not much.
If someone doesn't want to work or work to improve, then you let him know what the consequences will be behind a closed door meeting.
I don't see any consistency here, Mick. On the one hand you're advocating for a fiery, kick 'em in the ass type, but on the other, you think Green has them in an unnecessary panic. I agree that they might be squeezing the sticks too hard, but I'm not sure a screamer is going to be a better approach. He might haul the team into the playoffs, but is it the right guy for next year and the year after?
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

SKYO wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:44 pm
Lancer wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:19 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:43 am 18 straight games now with no even strength goals from Bo Horvat. That’s putrid
Green apparently has decided to use Horvat as his 'shut-down' guy. He was put against MacKinnon all night against Colorado.

Hard to get even-strength points when you're trying to shut down the opposition. Opportunities to poach on a top-line's mistakes in the neutral zone are few these days.

So if you're going to have your '2nd line' be your 'shut-down' line, WTF are the other lines supposed to do?? If Sutter isn't a shut-down centre, what the hell is his role in the team?
What? it's no different than Patrice Bergeron line vs MacKinnon's line.
With four Selke Trophies already on his loaded resume, Patrice Bergeron is no stranger in going toe-to-toe with some of the most dynamic lines in the NHL — with the B’s center often tasked with taking draws against the likes of Connor McDavid, Sidney Crosby, John Tavares and Auston Matthews while shutting down some potent forward trios.

It’s that two-way ability that has lifted Boston’s top line of Bergeron, Brad Marchand and David Pastrnak into the conversation as the best forward group in the league, with the trio just as prone to lighting up an opposing defense as it is stymieing scoring chances down the other end of the ice.
https://www.bostonsportsjournal.com/201 ... days-bout/
Only difference is Boston's coach also put's the best wingers with Bergeron as well, while Green puts checking wingers on Bo's line well notably Loui Eriksson. Pearson at least is putting up respectable points (45) with 21 goals so far.

Beagle/Sutter are the depth penalty kill beasts to help alleviate some of the hard minutes PK'ing, blocking shots etc so Bo can get more scoring opportunities. Beagle, Sutter, Motte currently take the lions share of penalty kill minutes for forwards, arguably some of the hardest minutes in a game.

I'm guessing a different coach would put Virtanen or Toffoli with Pearson-Horvat full time or even Boeser when he returns, Toffoli actually has proven to be a superb two-way responsible winger while providing excellent scoring ability. Pearson-Horvat-Toffoli line would an exemplary scoring/checking line vs the MacKinnon's, McDavid's etc.
I have no idea why Green doesn’t go with Toffoli-Horvat-Pearson and put Virtanen with Pettersson and Miller. Miller has been a good mentoring influence on Jake. Management must have some kind of accord with Eriksson and his agent because the whole ‘Eriksson is more defensively dependable than Virtanen’ argument ignores some other viable options in the top-6. Guarantee you if Boeser gets healthy before the season’s over that Toffoli will be put with Pearson and Horvat, so why wait??
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Lancer - easy answer - Green is an idiot.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I would guess that it's no because Green is an idiot, but because they are thinking long term.

Miller and Pete have chemistry.
Bo and Pearson have chemistry.
Boesser has chemistynwith Bo and Petey..

Toffoli and Pearson had chemistry. When Brock went down and Toffoli fit in there, when borckmco,es back,it makes sense to,ease him back into the lineup with Bo. (No pressure on Brock). Once (perhaps: "if") everyone's is healthy at the same time, you can swap Toffoli and Brock around to shake things up, but no need to rush things.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:41 pm I would guess that it's no because Green is an idiot, but because they are thinking long term.

Sheeee-yit. I just wrote a variation of this somewhere else. Almost word for word.
If you need air...call it in
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:41 pm I would guess that it's no because Green is an idiot, but because they are thinking long term.

Toffoli and Pearson had chemistry. When Brock went down and Toffoli fit in there, when borckmco,es back,it makes sense to,ease him back into the lineup with Bo. (No pressure on Brock). Once (perhaps: "if") everyone's is healthy at the same time, you can swap Toffoli and Brock around to shake things up, but no need to rush things.
Do Bo and Pearson actually have chemistry?

I recall that Brock and Bo also had some chemistry last year?

So it would make sense to put Brock with Bo and Pearson with Bo.....so why not Pearson-Bo-Brock?
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Mëds wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:46 pm

Do Bo and Pearson actually have chemistry?

I recall that Brock and Bo also had some chemistry last year?

So it would make sense to put Brock with Bo and Pearson with Bo.....so why not Pearson-Bo-Brock?
... you know that's what TG did, right???
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Man Green had his shit together tonight. Isn't that how it works? Lose he is an idiot. Win and man he is a gawd.
The only HW the Canucks need
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

depends who you follow on twiter.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:42 pm Man Green had his shit together tonight. Isn't that how it works? Lose he is an idiot. Win and man he is a gawd.
I still think he’s on thin ice regarding his job next year. I think he’s an ok coach. But this team needs a good coach moving forward. Some of his moves and lineup decisions have been a bit baffling.

He may become a good coach, but it may take a bit longer to get there. The Canucks don’t have that time. Big post season or not looming for the team and maybe more so for Green
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:27 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:42 pm Man Green had his shit together tonight. Isn't that how it works? Lose he is an idiot. Win and man he is a gawd.
I still think he’s on thin ice regarding his job next year. I think he’s an ok coach. But this team needs a good coach moving forward. Some of his moves and lineup decisions have been a bit baffling.

He may become a good coach, but it may take a bit longer to get there. The Canucks don’t have that time. Big post season or not looming for the team and maybe more so for Green

There will ALWAYS be seemingly baffling moves by a coach on any team. As fans, we don't get to see daily interactions with players, undisclosed (but playing through) injuries, agendas by GM's or owners, etc.. I don't think it's fair to judge a coach (Or a GM for that matter) on a single thing, but they have to be measured on their body of work.

Can't judge on "why I still Erickson playing with bo, or even in the lineup??", but we have to judge on "the team wanted to be in a playoff spot (or fighting for one) all season. Are we there or not?"

Without knowing the behind closed doors conversations, hard to say he gets the axe because fans are upset.

IMO, Travis has done as expected with the lineup he had. No need to gas the guy because he has met expectIons.