Time for a new G-Man?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
CC Legend

Time for a new G-Man?

Post by Meds »

The Canucks just tumbled all the way to the last wild card spot and are only there because they hold a game in hand on the team they lost to in an epic bed shitting. To top it off, Vancouver is 4-5-1 in their last 10 and on a 4 game losing streak.

Las Vegas was still in playoff position when they fired Gallant in a very puzzling move.....they are now first in the Pacific having gone 9-1-0 in their last 10.

If Gallant is interested (and he's a decent coach), should the Canucks consider making a similar bold move at this late juncture and send Green packing in favor of a guy who coached an ensemble of cast-offs to the Stanley Cup Final in their first year in the league?

Personally, I'd do it. Time to get cut-throat in Vancouver.
SKYO
CC Legend

Re: Time for a new G-Man?

Post by SKYO »

Aquilini's might force their hand on this one, saying OK Jim, it's either you or the coach, you pick.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

If Green is on the way out, it’s his own stubbornness/loyalty that was his undoing.
Too many vets getting passes, and not experimenting with younger players.
Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is a sign of insanity.
Defensively either the personnel or the system has been weak without many injuries this season.
Stecher has cost the team a number of games this month without repercussions.
I like Green and wish he would succeed, but I’m losing faith that he and Baummer will get the job done defensively.
If a change is made now, I wouldn’t complain.
We are all Jim Benning.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

It's prob too late to get a new coach now, but if we miss the playoffs, I think Greener will get the axe. JB prob gets one more chance and this time around, u would think he has to go with an experienced bench boss.
Megaterio Llamas
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Early bird shopping, I like it. Hopefully Mr Aquilini allocates sufficient funds to hire an experienced NHL coach this time. Say a Gallant or a Laviolette.

Benning deserves the opportunity to hire one real NHL coach to see how good the team is.
el rey del mambo
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Would be nice to have a coach with a jaw and a backbone.
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:10 am Would be nice to have a coach with a jaw and a backbone.
The way the team has played recently I'd be fine with a coach who was a raving lunatic wearing neon spandex and rocking a bleached skullet.....at least that would be somewhat entertaining.
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The untimely Markstrom and Boeser injuries, the positives - Miller trade, Hughes and Pettersson draft picks etc., will save Benning his job. With what’s gone on lately, the recent bed shitting, the continued upward trajectory of the overall is still there which is why Benning stays, but then again, it’s the Aqualini’s, not exactly loyalists. The Ferland, Beagle, Eriksson, Sutter contracts may be enough to get him fired if the bed shitting continues. We all know that Linden was right - the need to be patient, the problem is, the owner isn’t patient, they are a bit Harold Ballard like, Benning is a combination of knowing how to appease the owner to save his job and a bit impatient himself

Green is his own worst enemy as like every coach, but the panic and stress we are seeing in him is not good for a coach. It affects the players. Times like these when you don’t want to see your boss panicking, you want the opposite
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Defensively this team is a mess. The Coyotes and the Islanders play a similar game. The Islanders were shit the season before Trotz was hired. Green has to make changes to the teams “Team defence” it’s absolutely shit right now and move to the Trotz style of shoot the puck in and forecheck style instead of trying to maintain possession entering the zone and the coughing it up. It’s not working when you don’t have Markstrom to save your hide
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Green doesn’t rotate anyone in the line-up. Utica kids never see the ice even for a couple of games here or there.
Tim Schaller was constantly thrown out there, and would have been in the line-up still if Benning hadn’t traded him away.
With another organization he was quickly sent to the AHL, so it’s not like we were wrong about Schaller’s value.
The same is true with Eriksson, and Roussel. Is there anything wrong with rotating Roussel in and out of the line-up when he is recovering from a major knee injury and isn’t producing? Giving Bailey, Lind, Bouchard, Baertschi or others a couple of games to see what they have or at least wet their appetites would be a good idea wouldn’t it? Stecher has had a number of bad games this month, but he never rests. Why not sit him and have Benn and Fatenburger in the bottom pairing for a couple games. Why not try Rafferty? His defense probably isn’t any worse than Stecher’s right now, and his offence is better. Stecher might develop into a better player if he sits out occasionally, and comes back with more focus and energy. The Canucks have a farm team for a reason. It shouldn’t always be injuries that dictate when it is used.
We are all Jim Benning.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Cherry Picker wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:30 pm If Green is on the way out, it’s his own stubbornness/loyalty that was his undoing.
Too many vets getting passes, and not experimenting with younger players.
Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is a sign of insanity.
Defensively either the personnel or the system has been weak without many injuries this season.
Stecher has cost the team a number of games this month without repercussions.
I like Green and wish he would succeed, but I’m losing faith that he and Baummer will get the job done defensively.
If a change is made now, I wouldn’t complain.
I have been saying this for 2 years, said it about AV as well (but differently). I understand that a GM should not influence who the coach plays but JB is TG boss so there needs to be some input/discussion and a couple WTF talks. TG seems to want to be liked as a coach, majority of his players do not fear him or fear making a mistake unless your name is JV or JB.

A decision needs to be made now and dont fuck away this season because Vancouver Canucks want to be seen a a "nice" team.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:49 am Defensively this team is a mess. The Coyotes and the Islanders play a similar game. The Islanders were shit the season before Trotz was hired. Green has to make changes to the teams “Team defence” it’s absolutely shit right now and move to the Trotz style of shoot the puck in and forecheck style instead of trying to maintain possession entering the zone and the coughing it up. It’s not working when you don’t have Markstrom to save your hide
Agreed. The Canucks allow way too many shots per game. 40 shots to Arizona? A team we're battling with for a playoff spot?
Unacceptable if we want to be a contender. Question is, is this a personnel problem or the way they are coached? I think it's on the coach and his system, or lack of system.
dangler
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dangler »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:49 am Defensively this team is a mess. The Coyotes and the Islanders play a similar game. The Islanders were shit the season before Trotz was hired. Green has to make changes to the teams “Team defence” it’s absolutely shit right now and move to the Trotz style of shoot the puck in and forecheck style instead of trying to maintain possession entering the zone and the coughing it up. It’s not working when you don’t have Markstrom to save your hide
+1 The Dude nails it, unfortunately by the time they figure it out their season will be lost
Puck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Puck »

I agree on the system comments. When you give up 40 shots/game it's the system, not just the defence. I don't know if they should abandon trying to enter the zone with control because that seems to suit them offensively but you should be able to maintain a high-pressure attack without completely ignoring your own. However, I'll leave that to those more qualified to comment.

Regarding what is or isn't being said and done by Green, what makes you guys think the players don't 'fear' him? And further to that, what makes you think fear is the right motivator? It's possible that they are tense enough with the recent slide that what they really need to get over this is to go out and have fun. I doubt we have any idea what's really going on between the players and coaching staff. They don't appear to have quit on Green, so I think he gets the rest of the season to get them back on track. It's too close to the end to make a change now. Sink or swim as a team... coach included.
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

It is too late in the season to remove Green. Is it too late to change other suits behind the bench? Green and Brown, (sounds like whole wheat bread going moldy), were caught on camera arguing in the third period last night. Geez guys, take it behind closed doors.
Wonder how often the players are hearing differences in game and system philosophies? That aint good.

In the loss vs the Coyotes last night, there were a plenitude of sloppy changes and just plain confusion in regards to attempting to get the line
matches desired. This is on home ice!

No--Travis doesn't make adjustment quick enough. On many a night, he is being out-coached by his adversary. Sure, some of those games we win.
We have some real good character on the team and that helps big. Camera picks that up often. Making their own adjustments, when possible.

Not gonna lie, IMO, Markstrom is solely responsible for wins in no less then 4 games minimum. Where are we in the standings with 8 lees points?

Has the way TG coaches been subject to or altered by the knowledge your goalie will hold the fort down? I think so.

Most coaches definitely have favorites and it shows. Maybe somewhat more with TG. Seems like it to me. Well the next three weeks tells all.
"evolution"