Canucks add Toffoli (Schaller, Madden, 2nd, cond 4th)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks add Toffoli (Schaller, Madden, 2nd, cond 4th)

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Well, when you look at the league, with the parity that's out there, the logic behind the move is simple to see.

Understand any team can beat/upset any other team in a 7 game series.

We can (and should) win any 7 game series when facing a pacific opponent.

So, if we line up against any pacific opponent in the first round, and win:

We play a pacific opponent in the second round. We should win that and then:

Then, it's simply upset the Blues or Colorado for the western conference:

Boom. We are in the SCF. Anything can happen then.

This will (strategically) be the easiest path to the WCF we have seen out of the Pacific division since 2011. (Then it was of dominance, now it's because everyone else sucks too).

Not a bad time to trade some chips for your shot at the plate (so to speak)
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:46 pm Not a bad time to trade some chips for your shot at the plate (so to speak)
There’s hardly any chips left to trade. Can’t wait to see the D man they target.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

The best thing about this trade is I don't have to see Leivo get gifted a spot when he's ready to return to sit in the press box.
theman wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:37 pm In isolation I have no problem with it but I do hate not having, potentially, a 1st and 2nd rounder in the next draft.
Well, look at it this way... you have a proven 1st liner in the lineup right now in JT Miller and for at least another 3 years after this.

If the Canucks work their way to becoming true contenders in the next 2-3 years, it won't hurt as much not having that 2nd rounder toiling in Utica. Especially because you should definitely see already developed guys like Podkolzin and Juolevi in the lineup and also maybe guys like Hoglander, Lind, Woo and more.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:54 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:46 pm Not a bad time to trade some chips for your shot at the plate (so to speak)
There’s hardly any chips left to trade. Can’t wait to see the D man they target.
... It's not the guy they target that worries me (he will be a 3-5 D man who is 6'+, can skate, decent defensively, hit hard/often, and will drop the mitts). It's the price I am scared ownership is willing to pay to get him.

And Blobbie, not saying I agree with the Toffoli price tag (or the trade in general - I am still pondering it), I was just pointing out their probable thinking that got them there. And now that they have made that move, they better damn well make the defenceman move. In for a penny, in for a pound.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Carl Yagro wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:54 pm Especially because you should definitely see already developed guys like Podkolzin and Juolevi in the lineup and also maybe guys like Hoglander, Lind, Woo and more.

Except we'll be less a few more of those guys within the next few weeks. I can see Lind and/or Woo/Juolevi in another package for a rental. Buyers tend to do lose their minds when they buy and we know without doubt today that we're buyers.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Francesco doesn't often tweet about moves, but he just did:
Very happy with the Tyler Toffoli @tytoff16 deal. Great addition to our group.
It's like he made the trade himself :wink:

You know he's pushing hard for playoff revenue for the 50th anniversary after all the celebrations and goodwill from the fans climbing back aboard the bandwagon.

He's not going to care about a Madden or a 2nd rounder, who might or might not contribute to this team 3 years down the road.
Nuckertuzzi wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:04 pm Except we'll be less a few more of those guys within the next few weeks. I can see Lind and/or Woo/Juolevi in another package for a rental. Buyers tend to do lose their minds when they buy and we know without doubt today that we're buyers.
Well, let's hope they don't lose their minds and go overboard. Can't be draining our sacks in one go.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Juolevi has very little value.

This has FA’s filthy paw prints all over it.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Who could be our targets on D?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Carl Yagro wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:09 pm Francesco doesn't often tweet about moves, but he just did:
Very happy with the Tyler Toffoli @tytoff16 deal. Great addition to our group.
It's like he made the trade himself :wink:

No doubt this is a Francesco trade. The guy fired Nonis for not blowing a wad of alleged prospects (Edler, Kesler, Raymond, Hansen, etc..) for Brad Richards. A move that undoubtedly would've erased 2011 from our memory banks.

He seems to have a hard on for 'name' players and little patience for prospects. I was hoping the emergence of Petey, Hughes, Brock, etc.. these recent years would change his thinking but apparently not.
Last edited by Nuckertuzzi on Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I’m a bigger Will Lockwood fan than Madden. Gritty, energy player. Sign him, in which he seemingly wants to play here, all the Birdbone Madden fans will soon forget Madden
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

I actually hope that JB is working that defense trade right now and we hear about it tomorrow.

Can you imagine what prices the Coilers and Calgary pay to 'keep pace' :D :D

They could ruin themselves for years!!

Heck, their fans are already starting to heat up.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:40 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:38 pm This is an awesome pickup, I’ve been pushing for this since we got Pearson. Top 6 sniper in his prime, buddies with Pearson and supposedly an awesome guy in the room. Now just need Louie to retire so we can re sign toffoli for 5-6 million and we got a great 2nd line. We also now have 3(?) cup winners in the room.
We should get some beers one night! I agree
I’m down for that, next time I’m in Vancouver
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:30 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:40 pm We should get some beers one night! I agree
Don't let Dude pump n' dump you. Cover your drink.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Carl Yagro wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:33 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:30 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:40 pm We should get some beers one night! I agree
Don't let Dude pump n' dump you. Cover your drink.
Speaking from experience?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Some of the posters here are comical.

Two called this move "shortsighted".

Well I can assure you NHL GMs "see" a LOT more than you do. (100 times more?)

At least one guy said "we can't afford to re-sign Toffoli cuz cap/Petey/Hughes.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Madness.

Then there are all the imaginings of Aquaman making this trade with Jimmy reluctantly going along.

Cute! :D

Anyway.

An established top-6 forward for a 2nd, a cap-dump

... and a former 3rd-rounder collegian, whom I believe Blob said is 98 lbs soaking wet.

And this near the deadline, when overpayments usually rule the day??

Ladies and gentlemen, Lord Benning is a genius!
____
Try to focus on someday.