Canucks add Toffoli (Schaller, Madden, 2nd, cond 4th)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks add Toffoli

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:40 pm
I know Ferlund isnt coming back this year (or shouldn't)but we are now in a position where Sutter, Erickson, Beartschi and Stetcher have to be moved for picks after the season is over, simply to replace the second rounder and clear cap space.

Lol you might get a couple 6ths and a 7th for that pile of shit if you retain 50 %. Better to let Stecher walk.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Madden won’t even amount to a hill of beans. He’s 5’-11” 150 lbs. That makes Brandon Sutter look like Lou Ferigno!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Cornuck wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:42 pm a conditional 4th in '22 if Toffoli re-signs with Van City.

MCP - you think he'll sign here?
Tough to say now. Too many variables...

On one hand, they ALL sign if you offer them enough, but realistically, it's a catch 22 for us.

He does well, and we go deep into the playoffs, it could artificially drive his value up. Making him unaffordable in our payroll structure. This scenario becomes a "was the trade price worth the price paid" - we win a cup, then yes, it's worth it. Does TT make us a contender... probably not. (But how many undervalued the Miller trade?)

He struggles here (bad player or coach chemistry, cant fit the system, the fans or media turns on him) and then he not only doesn't resign here, but the trade itself is an overpayment.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Aqualini must be celebrating with a bottle of Chianti! Toffoli is a Pisane!!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Again guys. This is Mr Aquilini taking his shot at the cup before they have to shed salary and with Pete and Hughes on entry level contracts. Toffoli can't be re signed, there isn't the cap room. But it's about taking our shot in the 50th anniversary year.

It's cup or bust now, let's have a party!
Last edited by Megaterio Llamas on Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
el rey del mambo
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Miller Pettersson Boeser
Pearson Horvat Toffoli
Sutter Gaudette Virtanen
Roussel Beagle Leivo/Motte

Eriksson
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:50 pm Again guys. This is Mr Aquilini taking his shot at the cup before they have to shed salary and with Pete and Hughes on entry level contracts. Toffoli can't be re signed, there isn't the cap room. But it's about taking our shot in the 50th anniversary year.

It's cup or bust now, let's have a party!
Thattaboi!

Personally I don’t think Benning is done! I bet he is looking for a D-man right about now.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Like I said, I'll judge this one July the 2nd, after we see the whole body of work.

Lots of people want to dissect every individual move, I prefer to look at the entire picture
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

:D

Toffoli and Fantenburg in better times

Hopefully we see more like this (from 5 years ago)

or this...

(trying to stay positive...)
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Pretty short sighted move.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:53 pm Like I said, I'll judge this one July the 2nd, after we see the whole body of work.

Lots of people want to dissect every individual move, I prefer to look at the entire picture
Way to get logical on us. ;)

I'm not sure if our cap allows much room for any other deals before the deadline, but I hope Jim recoups some picks before draft. We've got some parts to move, but not sure if any (even combined) will get us a 1st or 2nd.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks add Toffoli (Schaller, Madden, 2nd, cond 4th)

Post by Cherry Picker »

The Canucks needed a jolt. Maybe this gets them into the playoffs? Standings sure are tightening up again.
Added bonus is Green can’t play Schaller anymore, YIPPEEE!
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Cherry Picker wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:01 pm Added bonus is Green can’t play Schaller anymore, YIPPEEE!
That almost makes it worth it. ;)

So when Boeser comes back, are we over the cap? I don't study this shit well enough to know for sure.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Apparently Boeser is out for the next 3 weeks (rib fracture) and Ferland has been shut down for the season.

Gives a bit of context to the trade as well.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

I don't think we have any parts to recoup a 1st, but a second, a third and a couple 4ths would do.

Benning seems to uncover gems in the mid rounds (Madden was a middler), so if he can turn that pile of crap i mentioned into some more middlers, I'll be happy.