2020/2021 Cap compliance

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: 2020/2021 Cap compliance

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ESQ wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:38 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:08 pm [
The buyout candidates are obvious. (and could be accompanied by a regular buyout if needs-be)

We'd save even more if we let Marko, Tanev, and Stecher walk

... bringing in a cheap seasoned vet to back up Demko, promoting Tree, Rafferty?

I think a bunch of teams would be in a bigger bind than our Canucks...
I don't think there will be much (if any) drop in the Cap - I expect the PA will agree to increase escrow instead.

If the cap stays virtually the same and we're allowed two CBOs (I believe that's been the limit both times they've been allowed), I think Sutter and Loui going buhbye will leave enough cap space for Marky, Tanev and Toffoli. If there's some way to trade Sutter, then CBO either Sven or Ferland and the Canucks should have cap space to add in UFA/trade.

Interesting times indeed.

The increased social isolation steps won't reap measurable benefits until 2 weeks from now. Another 2-4 weeks could allow for spectator-less hockey to resume (assuming all NHL staff are currently in strict quarantine/self-isolation). I'm so desperate for hockey, I'd be willing to shell out a few bucks for PPV hockey in an empty arena if that would help bring it back sooner - and I think a few million Canadians would agree with me!
With only one year left on Sutters and Baertschi’s term I’d organized the CBO list after Eriksson by term. By the time we have to sign Pettersson and Hughes, Sutter and Baertschi’s contracts will have expired.

I’d probably do Eriksson and Ferland

1. Ferland - 3 years after this season $3.5 million per
2. Beagle - 2 years after this season $3.0 million per
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Ferkland can go to LTIR.

Louie and Beagle is who I would buy out. I’d think about Myers too. I mean he’s ok, he does more good than bad, but that ticket has four more years. He’s a #4 guy being paid like a #2. Thing is there is nothing on the RH side in the system or on the team. Tanev is a better player than Myers but he’s beat to shit and is a UFA. Stecher is a bottom pairing guy. Woo may be decent in a couple of years.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:03 am

I’d think about Myers too. I mean he’s ok, he does more good than bad, but that ticket has four more years. He’s a #4 guy being paid like a #2. Thing is there is nothing on the RH side in the system or on the team. Tanev is a better player than Myers but he’s beat to shit and is a UFA. Stecher is a bottom pairing guy. Woo may be decent in a couple of years.
Asinine
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I said I’d think about it. He is a competent D man but also has four years left. Either way he won’t be bought out with the lack of organizational depth on the right side.

If it happens may as well stick with the obvious choices of Eriksson and Beagle. Frees up 9 million and their replacements would be no more than about a million each.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:38 am I said I’d think about it. He is a competent D man but also has four years left. Either way he won’t be bought out with the lack of organizational depth on the right side.

If it happens may as well stick with the obvious choices of Eriksson and Beagle. Frees up 9 million and their replacements would be no more than about a million each.
Yeah I’d go with Loui and Jay. We are protected by the LTIR regarding Ferland.

Sutter and Baertschi are done after next season, not a real concern there since we get one more cheap year out of Petey and QH
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:47 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:38 am I said I’d think about it. He is a competent D man but also has four years left. Either way he won’t be bought out with the lack of organizational depth on the right side.

Sutter and Baertschi are done after next season, not a real concern there since we get one more cheap year out of Petey and QH
If it does happen and they turf Eriksson and Beagle, they could probably afford to bring back all of Markstrom, Tanev and Toffoli.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:51 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:47 am

If it does happen and they turf Eriksson and Beagle, they could probably afford to bring back all of Markstrom, Tanev and Toffoli.
That’s what I’m hoping. Toffoli has fit like a glove on this team, he’s been a great addition. Hughes and Tanev for a great pairing and well we all know how important Marky is

When both Sutter and Beagle are gone, you keep Gaudette on 3rd line and make MacEwan your 4th line centre. Like MacEwan, Michaelis also has experience as a centre and was voted NCAA defensive forward of the year. Linus Karlsson also has centre experience as well as Lind
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I think Mac has mostly played on the wing since turning pro. He’d be my Eriksson replacement. Cheap centre depth isn’t too hard to find if they need it. They could always keep Sutter around for the last year of his deal too. The shitty thing about Sutter is that he looks so slow now. Those hip and groin injuries have robbed him of his wheels.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:08 am I think Mac has mostly played on the wing since turning pro. He’d be my Eriksson replacement. Cheap centre depth isn’t too hard to find if they need it. They could always keep Sutter around for the last year of his deal too. The shitty thing about Sutter is that he looks so slow now. Those hip and groin injuries have robbed him of his wheels.
Apparently MacEwan played centre all through junior

Keep an eye on Michaelis and Karlsson as potential bottom 6 centres both have lots of experience at centre as well as Lind

Big log jam on right wing if you factor in signing Toffoli snd recent signing of Lockwood. Right wing potentially:

Toffoli
Boeser
Virtanen
Podkolzin (shoots left RW/LW)
MacEwan (shoots right RW/C)
Lockwood
Lind (shoots right RW/C)
Leivo (shoots right RW/LW)
Karlsson (shoots right C/RW)

I think Leivo is gone and one of MacEwan and Lind is moved back to centre

I know Podkolzin shoots left but everywhere it has him as a RW

Still wouldn’t be surprised if Boeser is traded if they sign Toffoli
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I'll agree with you there Chef. Jet Black should be quietly looking at what he can get for a return on Brockett. His game took a fairly significant step backwards IMHO and if he can get Toffys name on a contract we wont even miss a beat.

I can see Brock bringing back a really nice defensive asset if the stars align
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:40 am I'll agree with you there Chef. Jet Black should be quietly looking at what he can get for a return on Brockett. His game took a fairly significant step backwards IMHO and if he can get Toffys name on a contract we wont even miss a beat.

I can see Brock bringing back a really nice defensive asset if the stars align
Podkolzin is a shoe in in the top 6 on right wing. Apparently he’s a “for sure right winger” although he shoots left. Podkolzin was having a great playoffs in the KHL, the kid will be ready. So if Toffoli is signed and with how well Virtanen is playing (he can slot in on 3rd line) not sure how you at least fit all of Toffoli, Boeser and Podkozlin in the top two lines on RW. They will obviously keep Boeser for the year next year since Pod doesn’t arrive until the year after next but regardless, with Petey and QH hitting payday the year Pod arrives it would make sense to move Boeser after next season, unless you try Pod on left wing?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Boeser was injured again. I don’t see it as him taking a step back as some have said. He’s had a fair bit of injury troubles in his young career. That said with the winger depth coming up and his potential value, he could be the one to move. Who knows but I don’t think it’s a bad thing to have too many good forwards going into next year. Too bad the same can’t be said about the D. If they let Tanev walk the D is a garbage fire.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:03 am Boeser was injured again. I don’t see it as him taking a step back as some have said. He’s had a fair bit of injury troubles in his young career. That said with the winger depth coming up and his potential value, he could be the one to move. Who knows but I don’t think it’s a bad thing to have too many good forwards going into next year. Too bad the same can’t be said about the D. If they let Tanev walk the D is a garbage fire.
I think you may be getting that Boeser for Seth Jones type trade you dreamt up years ago. If! Toffoli is signed.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

The idea of trading a young asset like Boeser because the desire to sign Toffli is strong right now seems iffy. We saw a sample size of under
a month from a decent player needing the biggest possible contract he can get. His "big money", UFA one.
Boeser is 23. Toffoli will be 28 in August. I would like to see him sign here too but I have no clue what his play will be like when he's in his 30s.
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Micky wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:47 am
Strangelove wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:44 pm
Fetch boy... FETCH!! :D
Your an buffoon!!!
"You're a buffoon!!!" :drink:

Micky wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:47 am You double space your posts to make your bull look longer.
:lol:

Micky wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:47 am You don't know FA about what they are going to do.
I gave my reality-based opinion on what they might do

... in response to your opinion, which was not reality-based.

But hey, thanks for coming out. :thumbs:

Strangelove wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:59 pm Thanks Mick, we don't know how to google. :thumbs:
This kind of shit will no longer be tolerated.
Not only will you tolerate it, you will learn to love it!! :twisted:

Strangelove wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:44 pm UMMM. There can't possibly be a "strike or lockout"... the present CBA is in full force until 2022!
Ar-Ar-Ar--The present CBA doesn't have a clause for the present circumstance so why cite it?
Not sure exactly how to translate that from monkey to human but...

I cited the fact a strike or lockout can't happen because you suggested a strike or lockout could happen.

I then cited the fact that the NHL (hopefully in cooperation with the NHLPA) can set the salary cap at whatever number they chose.

The NHL and NHLPA can agree on whatever cap number they want while the CBA remains in full force until 2022.

Is any of this getting through Forest?

Micky wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:47 am Not to mention you know I was being somewhat sarcastic about a work stoppage.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Strangelove wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:08 pm I think a bunch of teams would be in a bigger bind than our Canucks...
Vague, as usual but if you are attempting to express your thoughts about some franchises finding themselves in more undesirable circumstances
then the Canucks; likely.
Lol, 'Vagueness' is your middle name!

And he follows that up by being equally as "vague"... and then agreeing with me. :eh:

Did you expect me to go through the salary cap situation of every team in the league and post summaries?

Well hey, I might have if someone disagreed with my statement... but since no one seems to disagree. Image

Micky wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:47 am You bring this on yourself.
You cut me deeply Mick. :(

Who would have thought a link monkey that suggested the NHL would award the Stanley Cup to a team without any Stanley Cup Playoffs

... could have done so much damage. :cry:
____
Try to focus on someday.