2020/2021 Cap compliance

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: 2020/2021 Cap compliance

Post by Cherry Picker »

I don't think cap will be a problem signing Toffoli. It is more does he want to sign in Vancouver. His wife works in California, so signing him isn't a given. He may want to re-sign in LA.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl ... xt-season/

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2020/03 ... ction.html
Bill Daly explained that the cap ceiling is projected to land somewhere between $84MM and $88.2MM for next season, with the final number still to be negotiated with the NHLPA.
Sounds good but projections have been exaggerated before. / recently even ..
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Thanks Mick, we don't know how to google. :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Micky wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:51 am
Sounds good but projections have been exaggerated before. / recently even ..
That's what I thought too, but last year's Bettman prediction in December was only off by $1.5 mil - and wasn't last year the most contentious with PA over escrow?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Is that true? Daley saying next years cap could go as high as $88 million? Doyle?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:44 pm Is that true? Daley saying next years cap could go as high as $88 million? Doyle?
If you believe this I have some property you might be interested in on the Coquitlam River. There’s a big hospital close by for you :lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

If COVID19 wipes out the rest of this season + playoffs

... I could see the cap actually going down by a fair bit next season.

This would cause MAJOR problems for most teams.

However, if the cap goes down I think they would have to allow for CBOs.

(Compliance BuyOuts)

This would help the richer teams especially (like your Vancouver Canucks).

UFAs would command le$$... looking at you Tanev, Markstrom, Toffoli.

Of those three, I think I'd rather keep Toffoli... if it came to that.

A lot of teams would have to make those kinds of decisions if it plays out this way.

If season + playoffs are cancelled it is estimated that 1 billion in revenue would be lost.

I believe the pre-COVID forecast of $84-88M was based on approximately $5B in revenue.

So the potential is there for the cap to drop by $10M+.

I say potentially... they won't let it drop that much.

It's in the best interests of the NHL and the NHLPA to have it drop as minimally as possible.

It's a little complicated but they will negotiate a reasonable cap number.

It is good that we have Miller, Horvat, Boeser, and Pearson signed to friendly contracts.

That payroll structure + cap dropping would help us to re-sign Toffoli to a decent number.

The buyout candidates are obvious. (and could be accompanied by a regular buyout if needs-be)

We'd save even more if we let Marko, Tanev, and Stecher walk

... bringing in a cheap seasoned vet to back up Demko, promoting Tree, Rafferty?

I think a bunch of teams would be in a bigger bind than our Canucks...
____
Try to focus on someday.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:08 pm [
The buyout candidates are obvious. (and could be accompanied by a regular buyout if needs-be)

We'd save even more if we let Marko, Tanev, and Stecher walk

... bringing in a cheap seasoned vet to back up Demko, promoting Tree, Rafferty?

I don't think there will be much (if any) drop in the Cap - I expect the PA will agree to increase escrow instead.

If the cap stays virtually the same and we're allowed two CBOs (I believe that's been the limit both times they've been allowed), I think Sutter and Loui going buhbye will leave enough cap space for Marky, Tanev and Toffoli. If there's some way to trade Sutter, then CBO either Sven or Ferland and the Canucks should have cap space to add in UFA/trade.

Interesting times indeed.

The increased social isolation steps won't reap measurable benefits until 2 weeks from now. Another 2-4 weeks could allow for spectator-less hockey to resume (assuming all NHL staff are currently in strict quarantine/self-isolation). I'm so desperate for hockey, I'd be willing to shell out a few bucks for PPV hockey in an empty arena if that would help bring it back sooner - and I think a few million Canadians would agree with me!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ESQ wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:38 pm The increased social isolation steps won't reap measurable benefits until 2 weeks from now. Another 2-4 weeks could allow for spectator-less hockey to resume (assuming all NHL staff are currently in strict quarantine/self-isolation). I'm so desperate for hockey, I'd be willing to shell out a few bucks for PPV hockey in an empty arena if that would help bring it back sooner - and I think a few million Canadians would agree with me!
Not gonna happen, CDC says no gatherings of 50+ until May 10th (prolly gets extended).

Spectator-less hockey = many more than 50+

Drink heavily and watch old games on Youtube. :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

The owners and players will work out something that all can agree on. It will not be easy but the last thing either party will want
is a work stoppage, ie strike or lockout; No-way.
It may not look the same as the NBA or others, it will have to suit what's best for the NHL and NHLPA exclusively.

I think the best we do at this point is hold a draft via conference for 2020 and hope for what I think will be an entirely new season
this October at the earliest.

I suppose awards for this season could still be handed out and I think they should be. The Cup? I dunna what to do that's fair. Best record?
Can someone live with an asterisk?
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Reefer will be living on in infamy by sort of winning the pool....but only *sort of
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:58 pm Reefer will be living on in infamy by sort of winning the pool....but only *sort of
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Micky wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:53 pm The owners and players will work out something that all can agree on. It will not be easy but the last thing either party will want
is a work stoppage, ie strike or lockout; No-way.
UMMM. There can't possibly be a "strike or lockout"... the present CBA is in full force until 2022!

What I was saying: The NHL and NHLPA can and will agree on a salary cap number for next season.

Micky wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:53 pm It may not look the same as the NBA or others, it will have to suit what's best for the NHL and NHLPA exclusively.
:look:

Micky wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:53 pm I think the best we do at this point is hold a draft via conference for 2020 and hope for what I think will be an entirely new season
this October at the earliest.
Isn't that exactly what HW said to you the other day in response to you wondering aloud if there would be a draft at all? :scowl:

Micky wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:53 pm I suppose awards for this season could still be handed out and I think they should be. The Cup? I dunna what to do that's fair. Best record?
Can someone live with an asterisk?
Are you seriously suggesting the NHL would award the Stanley Cup to a team without any Stanley Cup Playoffs? :lol:

Mick, stop trying to sound like the wise educated NHL fan and just be happy with being our link monkey mmmkay?

Fetch boy... FETCH!! :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

:lol:
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:44 pm
Fetch boy... FETCH!! :D
Your an buffoon!!! You double space your posts to make your bull look longer. You don't know FA about what they are going to do.
Fetch that! Scratch it too...

Also;
Strangelove wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:59 pm Thanks Mick, we don't know how to google. :thumbs:
This kind of shit will no longer be tolerated.
UMMM. There can't possibly be a "strike or lockout"... the present CBA is in full force until 2022!
Ar-Ar-Ar--The present CBA doesn't have a clause for the present circumstance so why cite it?
Not to mention you know I was being somewhat sarcastic about a work stoppage.
Strangelove wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:08 pm
Vague, as usual but if you are attempting to express your thoughts about some franchises finding themselves in more undesirable circumstances
then the Canucks; likely.
Mick, stop trying to sound like the wise educated NHL fan and just be happy with being our link monkey mmmkay?
Garbage like this is why 'YOU" should not be a moderator!!!!!
You are the biggest internet monk..........................................I have ever seen. Where is the smiley that says look the fuck around.
Oh well :look: :look: :look: :look: :look: :look: :look: :look: :look: :look:

You bring this on yourself. Maybe that's the plan. Push him till he ---W/E. You are better with PC window dressing. :lol:
"evolution"