Meanwhile, on the other side of the pond 2019/20

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Meanwhile, on the other side of the pond 2019/20

Post by Strangelove »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:56 pm
Hank wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:23 pm Admit it, Yoodles. You loved him and Swayze in Road House.
Love isnt the word i would go with
:wow:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

If you need air...call it in
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Sam Elliott looks down there at fanboy UDL, then looks up and says, "I thought you'd be bigger".
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Bubbles puppet: "Put it in my mouth!"
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:35 pm Bubbles puppet: "Put it in my mouth!"
Is Blobbles puppet an oven mitt?
If you need air...call it in
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

micky107 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:33 pm
ESQ wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:08 am The NHL is lobbying the IIHF to change to the North American rule book.

This is good for hockey, IMO.
I agree. Very good.

What do you think Per?
I definitely think it would be good if the IIHF and NHL could agree on a unified set of rules.
I'm not sure the NHL rules are better in every aspect though, so rather than one side just switching to the rules of th eother, I think they should have a committee sit down and go through the entire set of rules and agree on how they should be.

I eg do not see what the benefit is of banning the goalie from going into the corners. It's a risky move, so few goalies ever do, but if they want to, why shouldn't they be allowed?

And seriously, I do not know the exact differences in detail between the two sets of rules. I think they were more different say twenty years ago. Eg the NHL had the red line offside rule much longer than the IIHF, but eventually got rid of it too.
I think the NHL also has caught up when it comes to banning headshots. For a long time it was banned by the IIHF but not the NHL. Now I think the rules are roughly equivalent, albeit not perfectly in sync. It also used to be that a lot of hits that would be considered charging or boarding in Europe were seen as perfectly legal in the NHL. Now the NHL has chosen to become stricter in this as well.

I think over the last twenty years the rules have become more and more in harmony, so finally agreeing on one set of rules should not be that hard. And that would be very beneficial to the game worldwide.

But I do not think the IIHF should let the NHL dictate the rules unilaterally.
All future rule changes ought to be agreed on by represenatives from both bodies.

And I think herein lies the problem, because the NHL has never been willing to accept the authority of the IIHF, and often disregarded their rules.
But this has also been changing over the past twenty years or so. I think they are much closer to agreeing on stuff today than before.

If they can adopt a common set of rules and agree on a joint procedure for future rule changes - I'm all for it.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Per wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:02 am

If they can adopt a common set of rules and agree on a joint procedure for future rule changes - I'm all for it.
Guess it's too late to get these guys involved in the proceedings. Image

https://icehockey.fandom.com/wiki/1904% ... PHL_season
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

TSN: Russia banned four years from international sport
https://www.tsn.ca/world-anti-doping-ag ... -1.1410338
"evolution"
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

micky107 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:10 am
Yeah, but they can still play. Just not as Russia. :|
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Per wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:26 am
micky107 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:10 am
Yeah, but they can still play. Just not as Russia. :|
Why bother. Image
"evolution"
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

World Juniors thread up and running: http://canuckscorner.com/forums/viewtop ... =11972#top
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Per wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:02 am
All future rule changes ought to be agreed on by represenatives from both bodies.
Ya I agree with that in principle.
And I think herein lies the problem, because the NHL has never been willing to accept the authority of the IIHF, and often disregarded their rules.
But this has also been changing over the past twenty years or so. I think they are much closer to agreeing on stuff today than before.

I could be wrong, but I think the NHL has a lot more resources to put into studying and tinkering with the rules. The IIHF (imo) does not have the staff and resources - heck, it doesn't have anywhere near the base of officiating experience to call upon.

Maybe as part of this kind of a deal, IIHF refs will get into the NHL system, so that there's a higher standard of officiating when big tournaments roll around.

However, I think there are going to be hurdles for either side to change rules to something they're not used to. Per, your example of the goalie trapezoid is a classic one - its a rule that doesn't really affect the game, especially with the new icing rule, but you prefer to see it because its what you're used to seeing. I think that's going to be hard for both sides to overcome.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

The trapezoid should be eliminated. It quells the ingenuity for some goaltenders that want to take the initiative to make plays.
Even more restrictive in three on three overtime which, if I'm not mistaken, started after the goalie restriction.
The same rules on goalie contact would apply.
Hey! They always want more goals. Well this could increase them, (one-way, or another).
I'm aware of the impromptu quick study that claimed the rule has made very little difference. I don't believe it.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Kunlun Red Star
The picture used in tweet.
The Kunlun Red Star has signed forward Hunter Shinkaruk to a 1-way contract till the end of the season. Welcome to the team!
7:21 PM · Dec 22, 2019
one game
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

micky107 wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:01 am
Kunlun Red Star
The picture used in tweet.
The Kunlun Red Star has signed forward Hunter Shinkaruk to a 1-way contract till the end of the season. Welcome to the team!
7:21 PM · Dec 22, 2019
one game
Doyle and the HF Canuck Gillis Bro’s were super angry when Jimbro traded the Mike Gillis first round pick - Hunter Shinkaruk for Granlund. Super angry!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau