Meanwhile, on the other side of the pond 2019/20

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Meanwhile, on the other side of the pond 2019/20

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Gomer gonna learn Per
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:54 pm Gomer gonna learn Per
I read that in Karls voice :lol:
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:54 pm Gomer gonna learn Per

quitting and starting I've heard doesn't work. blob
"evolution"
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

An assist in Karlskoga’s 3-2 win against AIK last night brings Linus to 12 points in 8 games for his new team. Not bad.

I still question the trade though. He still only totals 34 points so far in the same league where Dahlén has 63, with one game in hand. There is no question which player SHL teams are more interested in.

Dahlén is not as good as Pettersson. They were scoring roughly on par when they played in Timrå, but that is with Dahlén being 20 and Pettersson just 18. I do think his ceiling could be close to his father’s record though. Ulf Dahlén had a long healthy career in the NHL, averaging 0.68 ppg, which translates to 55 points in an 82 game season. Not a franchise player, but a very good top six forward on a good team.

He had a falling out with the coaches in Utica, because he felt their methods were making him regress rather than progress.
And I can see why. He tends to go for the high risk high reward plays, and they instructed him to always make the safe play. That went against his instincts, and he became more insecure on the ice. He’s a goal scorer, and they need to be cocky. He is not a shutdown Samuel Pålsson type of player. To quote Zlatan Ibrahimovic, you don’t buy a maserati and drive it like a volkswagen. Not saying that Dahlén is a maserati, but maybe at least a BMW.

I’m more sceptical to Linus. Not a bad player, but is he NHL material?

The sudden increase in production after he switched teams is good news. Maybe he is better than I have given him credit for. Let’s hope so. But I still think it was a shitty trade and that Dahlén has more upside.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Which NHL team owns Dahlens rights? Still the Sharks?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:35 am Which NHL team owns Dahlens rights? Still the Sharks?
Who cares!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:05 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:35 am Which NHL team owns Dahlens rights? Still the Sharks?
Who cares!
Per cares.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:24 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:05 am
Who cares!
Per cares.
I know

Not sure why

But I like Per
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:41 am He had a falling out with the coaches in Utica, because he felt their methods were making him regress rather than progress.
And I can see why. He tends to go for the high risk high reward plays, and they instructed him to always make the safe play. That went against his instincts, and he became more insecure on the ice. He’s a goal scorer, and they need to be cocky. He is not a shutdown Samuel Pålsson type of player. To quote Zlatan Ibrahimovic, you don’t buy a maserati and drive it like a volkswagen. Not saying that Dahlén is a maserati, but maybe at least a BMW.
Well he ended up on the Sharks' AHL team... was that also not to his liking? :|

The decisions he's made are the kind that tend to get one branded a problem child.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Unless you present as a superstar, potential franchise type player, you will always be asked to learn how to make the safe play, learn to be a 200’ player. Ask a lot of guys, like Baertschi, Goldobin, Jake, and every other team or player.

Few players get a pass. On our team, let’s see, we have Pettersson, Hughes, and Boeser. The only three that I can think had a long rookie leash. Boeser is now on the third line, learning, I hope. Now to be effective he needs to play with skill but I think Green wants to get some of the warts out of his game. But I digress.

Dahlen presented with a ton of potential but doesn’t want to learn the North American game. Should the Canucks have given him a chance? I dunno, but I kind of wish they had. But two AHL teams in one season and in the end he bailed on both. Worked out great for Rodin.
The only HW the Canucks need
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

So, the Canucks have had their share of Swedish goalies - Johan Hedberg, Eddie Läck, Jacob Markström, Joacim Eriksson, and Anders Nilsson. But there is also a steady trickle going the other way; Joe Cannata is Björklöven’s second Canuck goalie as they already have had Andrew Raycroft spend the 2013/14 season in their crease.

And now Richard Bachman has signed with Oskarshamn.

Now, as I have explained before Björklöven will almost certainly be one of two teams to challenge for a slot in the SHL next season.

Meanwhile, Oskarshamn and Leksand are the two teams at the bottom of the SHL standings that seem bound to have their slots challenged. Both teams have fired their coaches and are doing whatever they can to avoid being demoted, as that means economic disaster for a team.

Leksand has contracted good ole Ulf Samuelsson as their new coach. He has experience as assistant coach on the Coyotes, Rangers and Blackhawks as well as head coach for the Charlotte Checkers and Modo. He is also a talent scout for the new Seattle franchise.

Oskarshamn instead have sprung for a goalie with some NHL experience. Now, I know, Bachman is hardly a NHL goalie, but he could still be bad news for Björklöven at this level. At the same time, he won’t have that much time to adapt to the differences between North American and Swedish hockey. He will have even worse d in front of him here, and players tend to pass more and shoot less, so he’ll have to work on lateral movement. Oh well, we’ll see.

Looking forward to seeing Björklöven take on one of these two teams in a best out of seven!
Samuelsson and Bachman be damned! 8-)
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

With seven games remaining of the regular season Björklöven remains in the lead:

1) Björklöven (155:75) 106
2) Modo ...... (173:114) 94
—————————————————-
3) Timrå ..... (144:103) 91
4) Karlskoga . (175:129) 85
5) Västerås .. (135:123) 76

The all time points record is 110. If Björklöven can get at least 5 points in 7 games, at least they get in the record books. :roll:

Now, the top two teams play a best out of five series to decide the Hockeyallsvenskan Championship.
Apart from the title the winner also gets to challenge the team finishing last in the SHL for their slot in that league in a best out of seven series.

Meanwhile, the teams finishing 3rd to 8th all play eachother in a mini tournament. The winner of that tournament then plays the team losing the final, best out of three, and the winner of that series gets to challenge the SHL team finishing second to last over their slot in the league. Best out of seven.

Now, Björklöven will finish first. There’s no way Modo can gain 12 points on them in just seven games.
But second place is wide open. Remember, a regulation win is three points, so Timrå is just one win behind Modo.
Karlskoga may have a theoratical chance, but more likely it will be one of Modo or Timrå.

Björklöven should beat either of them in a best out of five, but even if they should lose that series, they still have another shot at getting to challenge for an SHL slot, by beating the winner of the mini-tournament in a best out of three.

I like our chances.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Höglander had an assist against HV71 tonight, his first point since Jan 21.

He had a five game point streakk before the WJC, was great at that tournament, then scored points in two more games before hitting a drought; only one single point over the next seven games. Let’s hope his assist tonight marked the end of his slump.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

2 goals and 1 assist for Anton Rödin as Brynäs beat Luleå 5-1.
This brings him to second place in SHL scoring with 37 points in 38 games (13+24).
Finally some success for a player who has had some real tough luck with injuries throughout his career.
Good for him. :thumbs:
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

BC player from Penticton, 24-yo Adam Plant, added to Björklöven.
Smallish D-man, NCAA champion. 30-ish games on two AHL teams.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/101583/adam-plant