OOTS; 2019-2020

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: OOTS; 2019-2020

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

How has been pretty good? He can barely move anymore
If you need air...call it in
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

ESQ wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:29 pm
Reefer2 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:00 pm SJ 0-4 with 5 GF and 17 GA.

Ouch
Resigning Marleau tonight - to me, that's them throwing in the towel.
I don’t know if I called it here, but I figured this would be a down year for the sharks, they’re getting super old and losing pavelski is a bigger loss than the media was making it out to be.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:23 am I don’t know if I called it here, but I figured this would be a down year for the sharks, they’re getting super old and losing pavelski is a bigger loss than the media was making it out to be.
There's a lot of season to play and they can turn it around. But the signs were there. Here's what I said in the offseason after commenting on their below average goaltending:
The offseason has made this team far worse. The Sharks have lost quality players: Pavelski, Doonskoi, Nyquist, and Braun without brining in any more-than-marginal immediate NHL talent. That is a LOT to lose. They still have an impressive team with a good mix of experience and young talent, but they are going to need to adjust. We've seen this team wobble before and everytime it seems like a new player steps up.
So far, no new player has stepped up. And those with steps forward last year -- Hertl, Meier, and Labanc -- are scoreless and a combined -15. Certainly they won't be THAT bad.

It is a team with a good-to-very-good top 6, a very good top 4. But outside of that, the depth is really subpar and the goaltending doesn't seem reliable. If players go into cold spells (like right now) or get injured, there isn't a margin on this roster.
Hono_rary Canadian
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:32 pm How has been pretty good? He can barely move anymore
He looked fine to me. He's not a top line guy - he's on the 4th line. He's been very physical and useful - much to my surprise. Also, his skating isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Anyway, hope Neal scores more than 21 goals - then the Flames get a 3rd round pick from the Oilers.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

BCExpat wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:53 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:32 pm How has been pretty good? He can barely move anymore
He looked fine to me. He's not a top line guy - he's on the 4th line. He's been very physical and useful - much to my surprise. Also, his skating isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Anyway, hope Neal scores more than 21 goals - then the Flames get a 3rd round pick from the Oilers.
It's on track :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjGjuoREc4o
"evolution"
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

micky107 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:21 am
Also the bonus that Lucic will feel the wroth of the flames fans for being the worst asset in the deal. "We traded Neal for this guy??"
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

BingoTough wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:30 am
micky107 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:21 am
Also the bonus that Lucic will feel the wroth of the flames fans for being the worst asset in the deal. "We traded Neal for this guy??"
What it comes down to is the fact that Neal just didn't fit in well with the Flames. He wasn't good enough to play on the top line, and he was too slow and not effective elsewhere in the lineup (ie - he didn't play a physical game). In Edmonton, Neal is playing in the top 6, so he is having more chances offensively - thus the early success. Lucic just replaced a player that didn't fit in. His role has been reduced to where he is still effective and the Flames get an element (toughness) that they sorely lacked. Lucic's play has not hurt the Flames at all. It's not like the trade had a negative effect on Calgary, it just seems like there has been a more positive effect for the Oilers so far.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

I have had the pleasure ( :D ) of watching both albortion teams regularly for a few years now and when Lucic started with his new team up the QE2 he played just like this as well. Remember...this is his best right now and it tapers off dramatically,

He'll be hated in Cowgrease by april
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

This article is pretty good at showing you why:

https://www.tsn.ca/calgary-flames-can-t ... -1.1379196
If there was one thing the Calgary Flames could not afford in the opening weeks of the season it was to see playing well in Edmonton. If there was a second thing the Flames could not afford, it was to see looking wholly ineffective – a continuance of the ugly degradation his game has seen since leaving the Boston Bruins a few seasons ago.

We are only a week in, but Calgary is 0-for-2. To suggest otherwise would be disingenuous.

The Flames’ decision to cut bait with Neal was defensible. Sometimes players and teams are complete mismatches, and it was clear that there was zero fit for the winger after one ill-fated season in Cowtown.

Neal – freshly signed to a five-year, $28.75-million dollar contract – gave the Flames just seven goals in 63 games during the 2018-19 season. For as concerning and limited as his lack of offensive production was, it was his off-puck play that eventually drove him out of the lineup. An obvious lack of speed and general inattentiveness in the defensive zone made him a challenge for head coach Bill Peters, and he was unceremoniously shuffled out in the summer in the Lucic swap.

I don’t think enough has been said about the fact that Neal, whose contract could have been described as anywhere from bad to poisonous, was swapped for the least or second-least-desirable contract in the league, depending on how you rate Chicago Blackhawks defenceman and his eight-year $55 million deal that runs through the 203-24 season.

Unlike Neal, Lucic’s game didn’t suddenly crater. His initial year with Edmonton was respectable, but since then Lucic was a negative in all game states. Consequently, he had what amounted to an untradeable contract – a mega-deal owed to a player who could no longer score and whose mobility limited contributions on both sides of the ice.

We are only three games into the regular season, so to call this a small sample of data would be an insult to small samples of data. But in the first week and change of the regular season, Edmonton has been demonstrably better with Neal on the ice than Calgary with Lucic

It’s a handful of games and less than 100 minutes combined for both players across all situations, but it’s also worth remembering that we don’t just have these games to go off of here. Both players have been established NHLers for some time, and that data is still quite meaningful – particularly for forecasting purposes.

And the data shows that while Neal’s 2018-19 season inexplicably cratered in Calgary, Lucic’s performance degradation had been a slow burn since the beginning of 2016-17

Do I think Neal’s white-hot offensive start to the season is indicative of his true talent? Hardly! But his contributions so far are already worthy of asking the question of whether or not he was simply miscast in Calgary – a player who still had real value, but a value that the Flames, for whatever reason, couldn’t tap into. Plus, players with Neal’s skill set – high-end goal scorers who are limited in most other phases of the game – tend to look a lot better when the shooting percentages are high and a lot worse when the goals dry up. In summary: I don’t think we are in a Neal renaissance, but maybe he can return as a contributor playing alongside the likes of and .

As for Lucic, he’s had some fights and some penalty minutes and little else to show for it. I appreciate that Calgary believes they need toughness in the lineup and that Lucic brings an element they were sorely missing in prior years. But I also can’t ignore the fact that their provincial rival said the same thing for years, right up until the point where they recognized that the deficiencies in Lucic’s game far outpaced whatever intangibles he might bring to a team’s bottom six.

No one should judge the trade quite yet – if not because of the fact that it’s early, then because the trade wasn’t a one-for-one swap either. Calgary did pick up a conditional third-round pick in the 2020 NHL Draft, and that’s not insignificant.

But you do wonder, even just a few games in, if Calgary would like a mulligan here.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Don't get me wrong - I'm not a Lucic fan, and I hate the fact that Neal is doing well in Edmonton. I wasn't fan of the trade and had zero expectations from Lucic. So going by that, anything positive that he does for the team (like big hits) is a bonus. As for Neal, let's see what he does over the whole season. Like I said, hopefully he scores at least 20 goals, so that the Flames get Edmonton's 3rd rounder as part of the trade. With my luck, he'll get 19 goals :(
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:12 am This article is pretty good at showing you why:
That article was posted 4 hours ago and considers wins against the Canucks as meaningless?
We are only a week in, but Calgary is 0-for-2. To suggest otherwise would be disingenuous.
No respect.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

5thhorseman wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:39 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:12 am This article is pretty good at showing you why:
That article was posted 4 hours ago and considers wins against the Canucks as meaningless:
:lol:

Well...everyone knows the canucks didn't even try so why count that garbage as a win for the lames. :D

As a canucks fan I am very happy Calgary has Lucic. I look forward to all the joy he brings!
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

That article was posted 4 hours ago and considers wins against the Canucks as meaningless?
No respect.
He meant O-fer on Neal doing well and Lucic being ineffective.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

ESQ wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:59 am
No respect.
He meant O-fer on Neal doing well and Lucic being ineffective.
But he's played 3 games, so wouldn't that be 0-3, or 1-3? Whatever. Doesn't matter anyways.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Patrik Laine says fuck you, fuck you, your cool, fuck you.

10pts in 6 games.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.