Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Lancer
CC Legend

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Lancer »

Trade Stetcher when one of Juolevi, Rathbone or Woo are ready to be NHL regulars. I don't mind him on the roster - especially as a place-holder until the blueline system starts producing regulars. We're not there yet. Maybe in the off-season. Trade him now and watch the hockey gods wipe out half the blueline with long-term injuries.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Raile
MVP
MVP

Post by Raile »

ESQ wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:35 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:13 am
Jovocop wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:19 am
Cherry Picker wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:42 am I have no idea why the Canucks would get rid of depth for picks considering where they are in the standings. Stecher had a mediocre game, but so did many others. He is still and NHL level Dman. One injury to Tanev or Myers and people will be complaining endlessly if he were traded away.
Stecher does not provide much offense and he is defensively ok, not great like Tanev. If the Canucks trade Stecher, it would be a package (+ one of the forwards or picks) to get a better right handed defenseman.
This Id have no problem with. But to just get rid of him because he’s short or you irrationally hate the guy makes no sense. They had depth in Biega but coughed it up. Anyone in the top 4 gets hurt and they’re fucked if they had just given up Stecher for table scraps.
Doyle, you don't think Rafferty is ready for Stecher's 13:44 of ice time?

Its not like anyone's saying Rafferty is ready to step into the top-4, we're talking about replacing the team's worst dman with the lowest TOI. That's exactly the position that should be filled from the farm.
Is Rafferty ready for top 4 time? That's what he'd be doing at some point in the near future. Not long back most here pencilled in both Tanev and Edler for a minimum dozen games of injuries expected, each.

We're playing very well right now, way above expectations, no one is injured, and there's a lot of talk here as if neither of these will change over the next 67 (though at least it's the right thread for crazy). I will be shocked if Rafferty doesn't get his chance naturally through injuries at some point. Then if he looks like a fit, trade Stetcher, but not before.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Raile wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:51 pm
Cherry Picker wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:42 am I have no idea why the Canucks would get rid of depth for picks considering where they are in the standings. Stecher had a mediocre game, but so did many others. He is still and NHL level Dman. One injury to Tanev or Myers and people will be complaining endlessly if he were traded away.
Stecher does not provide much offense and he is defensively ok, not great like Tanev. If the Canucks trade Stecher, it would be a package (+ one of the forwards or picks) to get a better right handed defenseman.
This Id have no problem with. But to just get rid of him because he’s short or you irrationally hate the guy makes no sense. They had depth in Biega but coughed it up. Anyone in the top 4 gets hurt and they’re fucked if they had just given up Stecher for table scraps.

Its not like anyone's saying Rafferty is ready to step into the top-4, we're talking about replacing the team's worst dman with the lowest TOI. That's exactly the position that should be filled from the farm.
Is Rafferty ready for top 4 time? That's what he'd be doing at some point in the near future. Not long back most here pencilled in both Tanev and Edler for a minimum dozen games of injuries expected, each.

We're playing very well right now, way above expectations, no one is injured, and there's a lot of talk here as if neither of these will change over the next 67 (though at least it's the right thread for crazy). I will be shocked if Rafferty doesn't get his chance naturally through injuries at some point. Then if he looks like a fit, trade Stetcher, but not before.
I don't think it's so much a case of us playing way above our heads as it is other teams being a bit surprised and not playing up to par.

We looked lost in our first two games. We lost to the Cup champs. We lost to first overall Washington in a 3rd period collapse. We shit the bed against New Jersey even though we controlled the puck. We lost to Anaheim against the run of play.

If you watched last year and the first month of this year you will see the difference is primarily in two key areas. One, we are skating way more and way harder. Two we are passing the puck around quickly in the offensive zone and not getting hemmed into the corners like we used to. That is complemented by a much better forecheck that turns the puck back over with much more success when teams do get possession and try to transition on us.

The team simply looks way different. Even in the losses it's not a case of us getting dominated in our own end for 45 minutes, and we aren't starting games in 3rd gear, we're popping the clutch in 1st at redline when the puck drops.

New captain, who plays with his heart on his sleeve and is miles better in terms of on ice emotional leadership than our last 3 guys.

50% of our blueline is new.

Our one-two punch down the middle up front is as good as all but a small few teams in the league.

Our goaltender has not forgotten his game over the summer, and his backup has looked every part a top tier starting goaltender in his 5 games.

This is a much different team with only 3 standout weaknesses. Loui Eriksson, 2nd PP, Stecher.....the latter not a terrible thing all things considered.

Do I expect us to stay clipping along at a .700 pace? No. But I don't get the sense that the wheels are going to come flying off at the slightest adversity.

We lost our best offensive defenseman for a couple games, we did pretty damned good.

If Markstrom falters Demko is showing that he can replace him reliably.

The only way I see this team crashing back to the basement is if we lose multiple key pieces, and that's something that probably 25 of the teams in the league would have in common with us.

We aren't a 2-horse team like Edmonton anymore.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Raile wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:51 pm

No, a trade now may not be prudent however maybe at some point soon he could sit once in a while for the team to get a look at someone
else in order to see "if that someone else", could be an addition when possible injuries happen.
I know the other side to that is don't upset the apple cart.
"evolution"
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Ferland for Little
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

To think Stecher, Myers and Tanev will stay healthy all season is wishful. If Benning thinks Rafferty is the best option he will get a chance to show it when one of them is injured. Or maybe not if he thinks Benn is better to slide over to the right side, and one of the other depth Dmen has earned a look ahead of Rafferty. Whatever the case you don’t trade away proven NHLers until the replacement has proven they are ready after dominating the AHL and being a successful injury replacement.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Topper wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:41 pm Ferland for Little
:lol:

The ceremonial swapping of the mush melons
If you need air...call it in
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Topper wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:24 pm Didn't Bon Jovi credit the strippers at #5 on their first album? That's Dude territory.

Besides, Baubles strikes me as a guy who likes to wear make up and high heels.
Slippery When Wet was dedicated to the #5. I think Aerosmith also made their big comeback while recording at the Orange.

KISS Army... so Blob fully admits that he likes to wear make up and high heels.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hank wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:40 pm
Topper wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:24 pm Didn't Bon Jovi credit the strippers at #5 on their first album? That's Dude territory.

Slippery When Wet was dedicated to the #5. I think Aerosmith also made their big comeback while recording at the Orange.

Lol!!! Just liked the tunes bro. As fucked as the band looked with all the gimmicks they cut some wicked shit for a kid in the mid to late 70s.

Gene, Paul, Ace and Peter were more my era. Along with Sabbath, AC/DC and Aerosmith.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

My kids don’t know good music now. I’d been to a handful of concerts by 1980 as a 10 yr old kid. :shock:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

If the Sharks are going to throw in the towel and go with a rebuild, I wouldn't mind making a substantial offer for Brent Burns. He's pretty much the missing link for us, a monster RS D who can skate and do it all. We'll have Burns a Norris calibre D-man and Huggy Bear (future Norris candidate).

B.Burns
for
Eriksson, Baertschi, Juolevi, Podkolzin, M.Dipietro, 1st round pick + (another conditional 1st round pick if we win a Cup while Burns is under contract with us)

Is that enough? With Petey and Huggy Bear still in their entry lvl contracts, we might as well go for it all. Burns is 34 and his contract does worry me a bit with 6 more years, but willing to roll the dice with him. Get her done. Get the sasquatch on Team Orca and into the Great North! :D
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Is that enough he asks! I'd balk at trading Pod; he's a key future piece on a cheap ELC just at the time we need it. Go with the long term plan; don't shoot your load just yet.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:18 pm
Hank wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:40 pm

Lol!!! Just liked the tunes bro. As fucked as the band looked with all the gimmicks they cut some wicked shit for a kid in the mid to late 70s.

Gene, Paul, Ace and Peter were more my era. Along with Sabbath, AC/DC and Aerosmith.
KISS was never my thing. Loved ACDC though.

I'll have to admit, in the 80s I went to a Duran Duran concert. Hey, when you're a horny teenager, you go where the girls are.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Never followed those stadium metal nonsense, those years I was listening to Bowie, Stones, Stooges, Lou Reed.... Hell, my son and I were listening Black and Blue on our weekend road trip. Still one of my favorite Stones records. I remember at parties the chicks dug Suzy Quattro.

Gene just bought into a local music feel in my neck of the woods, Branson for the geriatric mobility scooters of top 40 metal.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:17 pm B.Burns
for
Eriksson, Baertschi, Juolevi, Podkolzin, M.Dipietro, 1st round pick + (another conditional 1st round pick if we win a Cup while Burns is under contract with us)
Wow Image
"evolution"