Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3560
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:54 am
Location: Saskatoon, Sk.

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Lol



Just the other day Skyo solved his own problems (in his mind) with the "Let Marky, Leivo and Tanev" go comment in the 'compliance' thread, and here he is, now making more drama for himself..
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

ESQ
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2749
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by ESQ »

The power move is to figure out which goalie Seattle wants, then extracting a draft pick in exchange for exposing that goalie.

In Chicago's case, they would lock in Demko at a low cap hit (which unfortunately reflects his performance this year), and expose Marky - or trade Marky for a 1st and draft considerations, like taking Roussel.

But since this is Goalie Graveyard Vancouver, if Marky comes back with a strong postseason there is no way I'm moving on from him.

User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 7136
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Meds »

The problem is that we have a late bloomer in Markstrom not-quite-ready-not-sure-will-be in Demko.

The former is going to be 31 at this time next season, and the latter 25.

Then we have a younger guy who is looking to have some incredible potential in Mike DiPietro. But again, he's scared a few people with his first NHL showing against San Jose last season.

Decisions, decisions.

IF Benning is sold on Demko being the goalie of the future then the only way you bring Markstrom back is if he signs for 3 years or less and waives protection at the expansion draft. So then the option is to go out and try and sign a veteran guy who is capable of starting closer to 40 games and also mentoring Demko a bit. As far as this year's UFA class goes, Jaro Halak fits the picture as an example. 35 years old, still capable of respectable numbers, likely would sign a 2-year deal (which is the sweet spot imho if planning to build with Demko as the starter), and also wouldn't be needing expansion draft protection, and likely wouldn't be taken anyhow.

IF Benning is not ready to risk that Demko will solidify into the future starter here in Vancouver, then Demko should be traded at the draft to recoup a pick in the 1st couple rounds, and Markstrom brought back on a 5 year deal. Someone like Domingue then signed on a one or two year deal, exposed at the draft, and DiPietro brought up to master his craft behind Markstrom for 2-3 years.

User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 7136
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Meds »

ESQ wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:10 am
The power move is to figure out which goalie Seattle wants, then extracting a draft pick in exchange for exposing that goalie.

In Chicago's case, they would lock in Demko at a low cap hit (which unfortunately reflects his performance this year), and expose Marky - or trade Marky for a 1st and draft considerations, like taking Roussel.

But since this is Goalie Graveyard Vancouver, if Marky comes back with a strong postseason there is no way I'm moving on from him.
This is why I'm more inclined to see what kind of return we could get on Demko right now. Realistically he should return at least a 2nd round pick.....and we would do well to recoup one of our picks in the first couple rounds.

Obviously the jury is still out and deliberating on Thatcher, and he still has 3 weeks to prove to everyone that he deserves some of the hype he received as a prospect. I just think that the coming expansion draft, and future cap issues, will force Benning to make a decision sooner than expected when he originally drafted Demko.

User avatar
Per
MVP
MVP
Posts: 5349
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Per »

Meds wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:45 am
ESQ wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:10 am
The power move is to figure out which goalie Seattle wants, then extracting a draft pick in exchange for exposing that goalie.

In Chicago's case, they would lock in Demko at a low cap hit (which unfortunately reflects his performance this year), and expose Marky - or trade Marky for a 1st and draft considerations, like taking Roussel.

But since this is Goalie Graveyard Vancouver, if Marky comes back with a strong postseason there is no way I'm moving on from him.
This is why I'm more inclined to see what kind of return we could get on Demko right now. Realistically he should return at least a 2nd round pick.....and we would do well to recoup one of our picks in the first couple rounds.

Obviously the jury is still out and deliberating on Thatcher, and he still has 3 weeks to prove to everyone that he deserves some of the hype he received as a prospect. I just think that the coming expansion draft, and future cap issues, will force Benning to make a decision sooner than expected when he originally drafted Demko.
I don’t get this. Why is everyone so sure they will absolutely pick a goalie from Vancouver? :|

They have 31 teams to pick from. Are you sure they cannot find anything better than Demko out there? :eh:
For all his talent and potential, he is still unproven.

You build a team from behind.
If I’m putting together a new team in a new market, I want some veteran experience in the crease.
Just saying.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

User avatar
Micky
MVP
MVP
Posts: 11136
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Micky »

.
Take a look at how a local sports writer created quite a stir today....LE nixed a trade?

https://twitter.com/risingaction/status ... 7035682816
"evolution"

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:14 am

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Micky wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:10 am
.
Take a look at how a local sports writer created quite a stir today....LE nixed a trade?

https://twitter.com/risingaction/status ... 7035682816
I think Louie for lucic was a done deal if Louie wanted it. That’s why ferland was added so late. I personally would have loved having lucic this year, him combined with the other heavy boys we got playing on the boards in miller, tanner, bo, could have really helped us out.

ESQ
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2749
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by ESQ »

Per wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:57 am

I don’t get this. Why is everyone so sure they will absolutely pick a goalie from Vancouver? :|
If Marky is exposed, I believe he will be the best exposed goalie by a long shot.

If Demko is looking like he's ready to be a full-time starter in 21/22, he will likely be the best exposed goalie. Every team can protect their starter, of the Canucks have 2 legitimate starters then the exposed one will almost certainly be the best available.

When you look at who will be exposed from the Canucks, it's quite likely that a goalie will be the best option for Seattle to take.

User avatar
Micky
MVP
MVP
Posts: 11136
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Micky »

Richardstroker69 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:55 pm
Micky wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:10 am
.
Take a look at how a local sports writer created quite a stir today....LE nixed a trade?

https://twitter.com/risingaction/status ... 7035682816
I think Louie for lucic was a done deal if Louie wanted it. That’s why ferland was added so late. I personally would have loved having lucic this year, him combined with the other heavy boys we got playing on the boards in miller, tanner, bo, could have really helped us out.
I completely agree. For all his warts and limited skating now, he would have brought a level of compete in areas that Louis can only dream of.
Not to mention, three full years younger..FWIW.
"evolution"

User avatar
Per
MVP
MVP
Posts: 5349
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Per »

ESQ wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:50 pm
Per wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:57 am

I don’t get this. Why is everyone so sure they will absolutely pick a goalie from Vancouver? :|
If Marky is exposed, I believe he will be the best exposed goalie by a long shot.

If Demko is looking like he's ready to be a full-time starter in 21/22, he will likely be the best exposed goalie. Every team can protect their starter, of the Canucks have 2 legitimate starters then the exposed one will almost certainly be the best available.

When you look at who will be exposed from the Canucks, it's quite likely that a goalie will be the best option for Seattle to take.
I agree that if Marx is exposed, they will probably take him (if he fits under their cap).
But Demko? Surely there are a handful of teams that have a better backup?

Now, Demko has potential. He may become a better goalie than Markström at some point.
But at this point I doubt he’d be the hottest item available for Seattle. Well, maybe as their backup...
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

User avatar
JelloPuddingPop
CC Veteran
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:53 pm

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Per wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:34 pm
ESQ wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:50 pm
Per wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:57 am

I don’t get this. Why is everyone so sure they will absolutely pick a goalie from Vancouver? :|
If Marky is exposed, I believe he will be the best exposed goalie by a long shot.

If Demko is looking like he's ready to be a full-time starter in 21/22, he will likely be the best exposed goalie. Every team can protect their starter, of the Canucks have 2 legitimate starters then the exposed one will almost certainly be the best available.

When you look at who will be exposed from the Canucks, it's quite likely that a goalie will be the best option for Seattle to take.
I agree that if Marx is exposed, they will probably take him (if he fits under their cap).
But Demko? Surely there are a handful of teams that have a better backup?

Now, Demko has potential. He may become a better goalie than Markström at some point.
But at this point I doubt he’d be the hottest item available for Seattle. Well, maybe as their backup...
This

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 23689
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Strangelove »

Re-sign Markstrom (without an NMC).

15 months from now decide which one of Marx/Demko you want to protect.

We're going to lose an asset in the X-draft, if they choose the goalie we don't protect, fine.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Raile
CC Rookie
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:24 am

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Raile »

Per wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:34 pm
ESQ wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:50 pm
Per wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:57 am

I don’t get this. Why is everyone so sure they will absolutely pick a goalie from Vancouver? :|
If Marky is exposed, I believe he will be the best exposed goalie by a long shot.

If Demko is looking like he's ready to be a full-time starter in 21/22, he will likely be the best exposed goalie. Every team can protect their starter, of the Canucks have 2 legitimate starters then the exposed one will almost certainly be the best available.

When you look at who will be exposed from the Canucks, it's quite likely that a goalie will be the best option for Seattle to take.
I agree that if Marx is exposed, they will probably take him (if he fits under their cap).
But Demko? Surely there are a handful of teams that have a better backup?

Now, Demko has potential. He may become a better goalie than Markström at some point.
But at this point I doubt he’d be the hottest item available for Seattle. Well, maybe as their backup...
Whether he is the best goalie available or not, he's likely the best player to take from us.

And no different than drafting in the first round, you pick the best player available.. then trade them for need at a later date if they don't fit.

Didn't Vegas pick like a ton of D if I remember right? Then turned out they had a deal already in place to trade the ones away they didn't want to keep..

User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP
Posts: 17903
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Lotsa hair fires about losing a goalie 15 months from now. We might have to whack these poster in the head with their piss soaked jeans to put those fires out for them.
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

ESQ
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2749
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by ESQ »

Per wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:34 pm
I agree that if Marx is exposed, they will probably take him (if he fits under their cap).
But Demko? Surely there are a handful of teams that have a better backup?

Now, Demko has potential. He may become a better goalie than Markström at some point.
But at this point I doubt he’d be the hottest item available for Seattle. Well, maybe as their backup...
Again, you have to look at who else the Canucks will expose. It's not only whether Demko is the best exposed goalie, it's also whether he's the best exposed Canuck.

Most likely he's taken ahead of Eriksson, Beagle or Roussel. Every other player of value can be protected, and there aren't enough D under contract to worry about.

Post Reply