Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Zary’s biggest knock on him is his skating, considered to be below average. He is not a flashy player, isn’t great in any one area, the best case scenario for him regarding his ceiling is - a Bo Horvat type player but that is “best case” scenario. Bo could handle IC duty if you put him with very good wingers but Bo is a perfect 2C complimentary centre to a very good 1C like in Pettersson.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Strength down the middle is a beau thing
If you need air...call it in
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:11 am Zary’s biggest knock on him is his skating, considered to be below average. He is not a flashy player, isn’t great in any one area, the best case scenario for him regarding his ceiling is - a Bo Horvat type player but that is “best case” scenario. Bo could handle IC duty if you put him with very good wingers but Bo is a perfect 2C complimentary centre to a very good 1C like in Pettersson.
Don't know where you heard that Zary is a below average skater, but this is from a top shelf scouting report on Zary:

Skating

Zary is a good skater, if somewhat unconventional. His stride can be a bit short and choppy at times, but this doesn’t seem to take away from his speed. He is still above average in terms of his top-end speed and he reaches that quickly with good acceleration. Zary also has very good agility and edgework. This helps him to get around defenders, both with and without the puck. Strong backwards skating also helps him to play a 200-foot game. Zary has a strong stride, that helps him to fight through checks and get to the dirty areas of the ice. It also helps him to work along the boards. If he can improve his lower body strength, this will improve even more going forward.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

BCExpat wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:20 am
Skating

Zary is a good skater, if somewhat unconventional. His stride can be a bit short and choppy at times, but this doesn’t seem to take away from his speed. He is still above average in terms of his top-end speed and he reaches that quickly with good acceleration. Zary also has very good agility and edgework. This helps him to get around defenders, both with and without the puck. Strong backwards skating also helps him to play a 200-foot game. Zary has a strong stride, that helps him to fight through checks and get to the dirty areas of the ice. It also helps him to work along the boards. If he can improve his lower body strength, this will improve even more going forward.
I haven't seen the guy and claim no special knowledge, however that is as close to a kiss-of-death that I've seen in an amateur scouting report.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

ESQ wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:04 am
Skating

I haven't seen the guy and claim no special knowledge, however that is as close to a kiss-of-death that I've seen in an amateur scouting report.
Isn’t that exactly how they described Cody Hodgson’s stride?
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Cherry Picker wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:12 am
That's certainly how resident bird-dog Chef described his stride (at least, that was how he described it after Hodgson was traded :lol: )
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Skating

Thats the first thing that I thought of. :lol:
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:28 am
Skating

Thats the first thing that I thought of. :lol:
I think you missed this part:

"but this doesn’t seem to take away from his speed. He is still above average in terms of his top-end speed and he reaches that quickly with good acceleration"

That doesn't sound like a kiss of death to me.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Is his torso longer than his legs as well? Is there any sign of a micro-fro? Has his dad represented him yet?
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:43 am Is his torso longer than his legs as well? Is there any sign of a micro-fro? Has his dad represented him yet?
Cotton Hill... I always laughed at that :thumbs:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
lostinarink
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by lostinarink »

Any thoughts on the Ericsson / Hoffman rumours (from EK :oops: )

Hoffman waiting for Benning to clear cap so he can sign.
Benning offering Ericsson and next year's 1st for, well, nothing....

I believe Benning said no way he would offer a high draft pick to sell players, and the source is suspect, but would you do this?
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

lostinarink wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:38 pm Any thoughts on the Ericsson / Hoffman rumours (from EK :oops: )

Hoffman waiting for Benning to clear cap so he can sign.
Benning offering Ericsson and next year's 1st for, well, nothing....

I believe Benning said no way he would offer a high draft pick to sell players, and the source is suspect, but would you do this?
That would be a big nope from me on buying out Loui Eriksson this year, and a negatory good buddy on Hoffman, not interested there. I would take Benning at his word on this. As you say.
el rey del mambo
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

if Benning got rid of six million in cap space (which he likely won’t). He’d have better options to take players from teams that are over the cap (like Tampa) than to sign Hoffman.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cherry Picker wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:45 pm if Benning got rid of six million in cap space (which he likely won’t). He’d have better options to take players from teams that are over the cap (like Tampa) than to sign Hoffman.
Would Cernak or Pulock be worth a 1st and 2nd rounder?

Loui + 1st out.
Cernak or Pulock in on an offersheet below $4.3M in exchange for a 2nd rounder?
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Mëds wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:51 pm
Cherry Picker wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:45 pm if Benning got rid of six million in cap space (which he likely won’t). He’d have better options to take players from teams that are over the cap (like Tampa) than to sign Hoffman.
Would Cernak or Pulock be worth a 1st and 2nd rounder?

Loui + 1st out.
Cernak or Pulock in on an offersheet below $4.3M in exchange for a 2nd rounder?
To get a team to let an asset like Pulock or Cernak go you have to make the offer too rich and the compensation better than a 2nd. A low offer like that will be an automatic match and gain the offering GM an instant enemy.

Benning isnt that guy