Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:57 pm Jimmy walked in to a disaster - Gillis, Aqualini, Sedins, the crybaby media and fans of this city. A no win situation
Right, only a genius could straighten out a situation like that.
____
Try to focus on someday.
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:48 pm GMs have to learn. Unfortunately it seems most never do. Benning was blindly foolish signing Ericksson. He was foolish to chase Lucic. Most people said so at the time. Did he learn? I think he did. It should be hard for him to get out from under Ericksson’s contract. It should be excruciating for him.
Benning: good at drafting, not so good at resource mgt. The fact that the Canucks are going to be pressed against the cap after being just about the worst team in the NHL over 4+ years, is evidence of poor mgt skills.
cc oldtimer
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

nuckster wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:02 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:48 pm GMs have to learn. Unfortunately it seems most never do. Benning was blindly foolish signing Ericksson. He was foolish to chase Lucic. Most people said so at the time. Did he learn? I think he did. It should be hard for him to get out from under Ericksson’s contract. It should be excruciating for him.
Benning: good at drafting, not so good at resource mgt. The fact that the Canucks are going to be pressed against the cap after being just about the worst team in the NHL over 4+ years, is evidence of poor mgt skills.
Most people feel this way. Going into year 6 and the same waterheads still blame Mike Gillis for Jim Benning’s shortcomings.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

nuckster wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:02 pm Benning: good at drafting, not so good at resource mgt. The fact that the Canucks are going to be pressed against the cap after being just about the worst team in the NHL over 4+ years, is evidence of poor mgt skills.
Really? :scowl:

He just got zinged by Lou's $3M cap-recap, went out and got Miller and his $5.25M, and signed UFA Myers for $6M.

(also could have walked away from $6M Edler if he chose)

He's up against the cap NOW because he's got a new plan... a playoff plan.

Canucks had $20M in cap space last season, what the hell is this nonsense, get the hook...
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

And christ it's only July 8th, still got a few months to make some cap saving moves.

Plus if we do make some moves, I wonder if Vegas would clear some cap by moving Reaves?
He'd be wicked on our 4th line while providing some protection for Petey and Boeser.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:10 pm And christ it's only July 8th, still got a few months to make some cap saving moves.

Plus if we do make some moves, I wonder if Vegas would clear some cap by moving Reaves?
He'd be wicked on our 4th line while providing some protection for Petey and Boeser.
I’d take Reaves at 2.75. I’m sure many of the pantywaists on the board would scream bloody murder, but I’d take him in a heartbeat. The Canucks play in fear far too often.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:59 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:57 pm Jimmy walked in to a disaster - Gillis, Aqualini, Sedins, the crybaby media and fans of this city. A no win situation
Right, only a genius could straighten out a situation like that.
#itsallgillisfault
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I was hoping we could snag Reeves before he re-signed with Vegas - but I don't see what we have to offer that would pry him loose.

As far as protection goes, we saw one game with great push--back when our stars were targeted, but mostly crickets the rest of the season. The player we have a capable - but are they willing? Do they have a green light to seek instant retribution? I want to watch Pettersson for a long time - I'm sure the owners do as well. Protect his ass. Period.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:05 pm
nuckster wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:02 pm
Most people feel this way. Going into year 6 and the same waterheads still blame Mike Gillis for Jim Benning’s shortcomings.
Still Blame? Naaah, Dude. You got it all wrong. Most people “who can handle a rebuild” are simply reminding those with selective memories where it all began and why it hasn’t been a bed of Rosey Crotches.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

SKYO wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:10 pm And christ it's only July 8th, still got a few months to make some cap saving moves.

No one will be more pleased than I if Benning found a way to make some cap saving deals! I wish it could be true, but i just don't believe that he has the savvy to make it happen. If he finds a way to unload one or both of Eriksson or Sutter, I would willingly.... ? 🤔 ... become a convert about him possessing elements of 'geniousness'. Truth is, it wouldn't surpise me to learn that he hasn't even broached the subject with Louie, let alone explore options.
cc oldtimer
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

No offense, but these type of posts drive me batty....

Instead of parroting something we've heard a million times over since the creation of free agency, understand that the system is designed to inflate and overpay a percentage of player salaries and every team has its share of them on an almost ongoing basis....

The Erikksons and Lucic's are also victim to a league that switched almost overnight to a very fast game played by very young players which has caused even more issues for the like of these two who by today's standards are older players with poor footspeed....

And nobody saw the Luongo retirement coming and it surprises me that not more is being made of the Panthers pretty much admitting that they swayed Loui into retirement vs Long Term Injury to save them cap space with the nudge nudge wink wink being that he will be given a job within the organization at a later date which will surely see him compensated for the millions he walked away from....

Players not living up to their contracts is a fact of life in the league, has been for years and will be for the years to come....

The league needs to find a release mechanism to flush out the dead money and re circulate it if it is to continue with a hard cap under the next CBA....

Take care...
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I bet Gill-daddy could get us out from under that contract...he would just grab Looey by the skullet and toss him like he did the dude

Where did that skulleting go down dude? Britannia rink?
If you need air...call it in
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Nah, Pat or Burkie would get all truculent and drive Loui to the airport. Assistant Professor Gilly would be like Mr. Furious from Mystery Men.

Neckbeard would turn all beet red, sweaty and defensive and try to beat him with arrogance. Stoner Loui would laugh at him like Jeff Spicoli laughed at Mr. Hand.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cornuck wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:34 pm I was hoping we could snag Reeves before he re-signed with Vegas - but I don't see what we have to offer that would pry him loose.

As far as protection goes, we saw one game with great push--back when our stars were targeted, but mostly crickets the rest of the season. The player we have a capable - but are they willing? Do they have a green light to seek instant retribution? I want to watch Pettersson for a long time - I'm sure the owners do as well. Protect his ass. Period.
I don't think it would take much. They are slammed right up against the cap, in fact they are about $3M over it right now with only 5 defensemen and 1 goalie, signed. Cody Eakin and Ryan Reeves are 8 and 9 on their forward lineup in payroll and take up $6.6M worth of space.

I see that Clarkson is sitting on the LTIR, but he's counting against the cap currently and can't come off until the season starts, so right now they can go over by 10%. When the season starts and Clarkson comes off they will be cap compliant, but only barely, and that doesn't factor in any additional contracts. However, moving Reeves and Eakin would let them re-sign Subban, and also find some budget players to round out their 6 and 7 spots on the blueline and maybe sign a reliable veteran 4th liner to add some experience to the bottom-6 after Reeves and Eakin are gone.

All that being said we would need to make a bit more room to make it happen.

I would offer them Biega and our 2021 3rd round pick.....it's a round they don't have a pick in, and Benning needs to take advantage of one of his fellow GM's for a change.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Mëds wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:56 pm
I don't think it would take much. They are slammed right up against the cap, in fact they are about $3M over it right now with only 5 defensemen and 1 goalie, signed. Cody Eakin and Ryan Reeves are 8 and 9 on their forward lineup in payroll and take up $6.6M worth of space.
Hell ya! Reaves can still help our team. I'd like to think we've made some prospect signings that could, or maybe even were, designed to
facilitate something like this.
Push back is still part of the game regardless of the said smaller faster league opinion.
Hell, we just bore witness to four pretty grueling rounds of playoffs.
Looked somewhat intense to me.
Last edited by Mickey107 on Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"evolution"