Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by ESQ »

SKYO wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:06 am
Better off to just add the sweetener and move Eriksson asap, his bonus is paid, he's moveable with his lower salary, high cap, not to mention he's still a serviceable player.

Unless we just use him like Backes or Callahan as an expensive 4th line winger, but LE stated he's not happy in that role.
I beg to differ, letting him retire will eliminate 78% of his cap hit. I wouldn't add a sweetener just to get rid of $1.33 million on the cap.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Eriksson has gotta know his rep in van is complete toast.
He's also gotta know his career in the league is over if he isn't accommodating in this most bogus circumstance mm?
"evolution"
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

ESQ wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:19 pm
SKYO wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:06 am
Better off to just add the sweetener and move Eriksson asap, his bonus is paid, he's moveable with his lower salary, high cap, not to mention he's still a serviceable player.

Unless we just use him like Backes or Callahan as an expensive 4th line winger, but LE stated he's not happy in that role.
I beg to differ, letting him retire will eliminate 78% of his cap hit. I wouldn't add a sweetener just to get rid of $1.33 million on the cap.
Timing though, when would he announce his retirement? Probably too late for the Nucks to make a deal/sign a FA.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

micky107 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:35 pm Eriksson has gotta know his rep in van is complete toast.
He's also gotta know his career in the league is over if he isn't accommodating in this most bogus circumstance mm?
I agree - if the story of his family moving back to Texas is true, then I think he knows he's done. Why move to Texas if you're expecting to play anywhere in the NHL next year? And certainly his performance at the WCs might have helped him see the writing on the wall.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Reefer2 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:41 pm
Timing though, when would he announce his retirement? Probably too late for the Nucks to make a deal/sign a FA.
This ties into why I think Benning is done in FA. Take the first couple of months to pump the value of guys like Baertschi, Sutter and Tanev, who's value couldn't be any lower currently due to last season's injuries.

Assign Loui at training camp, let him refuse to report. That frees up one roster spot. Then look at adding through trade, when you're back to having a good amount of cap room and some of your other cap hits have become more valuable. Or, if things pan out, one of Baerstchi, Goldobin, or Virtanen becomes a 40-ish point winger on the 2nd line.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ESQ wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:56 am
Reefer2 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:29 am
theman wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:53 am So if we dump Eriksson in the AHL, which I think is the best option right now, how much cap savings would we actually have?
Someone said ~$900k - $1M.
If he doesn't report and retires, we have $5 million in cap re capture, spread over the remaining 3 years (I think?). So that saves $4.33 in cap space.
WHOA

There would be no recapture penalty with Loui.

If he retires there is ZERO cap hit.

(as I've said I'm almost positive the league would also make him return this year's signing bonus)
____
Try to focus on someday.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:54 pm
WHOA

(as I've said I'm almost positive the league would also make him return this year's signing bonus)
I'm not super confident on it, but I thought because he took hpme $5 mil over his cap hit for the first 3 years of the contract, we'd get dinged with cap recapture. His annual compensation (salary + bonus) was $8 mil, $8 mil and $7 mil, while his cap hit was $6 mil.

A source, not saying I'm 100% confident in it
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:43 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:32 am
SKYO wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:29 am If we could somehow clear Eriksson' 3 yr contract, that would really help alleviate the Luongo 3 yr recapture.
(yes obvious, just sayin eheh)
Eriksson + Woo might do it. Maybe Eriksson + Demko. They might have to throw another 2nd in with each of those guys. I think they might be better off to cut him on the 1st day of camp and see if he will report to Utica.
Blob you are out to lunch with those valuations.
Blob eating his lunch all day long
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ESQ wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:12 pm
WHOA

I'm not super confident on it, but I thought because he took hpme $5 mil over his cap hit for the first 3 years of the contract, we'd get dinged with cap recapture. His annual compensation (salary + bonus) was $8 mil, $8 mil and $7 mil, while his cap hit was $6 mil.

I'm not going to click on your link, no need.

Only some of the contracts (very few) signed under the old CBA are subject to recapture penalties.

The new CBA made it impossible to sign a player to a contract that would be subject to a recapture penalty.

This is widely known....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:17 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:43 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:32 am
SKYO wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:29 am If we could somehow clear Eriksson' 3 yr contract, that would really help alleviate the Luongo 3 yr recapture.
(yes obvious, just sayin eheh)
Eriksson + Woo might do it. Maybe Eriksson + Demko. They might have to throw another 2nd in with each of those guys. I think they might be better off to cut him on the 1st day of camp and see if he will report to Utica.
Blob you are out to lunch with those valuations.
Blob eating his lunch all day long
So what would it take to ditch Eriksson? Care to throw in an opinion?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ya I asked this before, do we get hit with the $5M in bonus money as a cap this year. The universal answer so far has been no, if he retires no cap.

So I’m trusting Doc on this. The best case for us is if Louie retires and just like that we save 6M in cap. I’d be loath to give up good assets to unload him. If we assign him to Utica we save around 1M if he reports. If he doesn’t, then we save 6M.

Let him show up to camp and earn a job. Otherwise park his ass. We owe him nothing.
The only HW the Canucks need
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:21 pm
ESQ wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:12 pm
WHOA

I'm not going to click on your link, no need.

Only some of the contracts (very few) signed under the old CBA are subject to recapture penalties.

The new CBA made it impossible to sign a player to a contract that would be subject to a recapture penalty.

This is widely known....
Any issue if he retires and immediately signs in Sweden or the khl?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:01 pm Any issue if he retires and immediately signs in Sweden or the khl?
No, except I''ll bet the NHL makes him pay back this year's signing bonus.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:04 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:01 pm Any issue if he retires and immediately signs in Sweden or the khl?
Per: Thoughts ?
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

micky107 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:08 pm
Strangelove wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:04 pm
Per: Thoughts ?
Lol, what would Per know about it?
____
Try to focus on someday.