Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Topper »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:58 pm Blobs cul-de-sac should be its own thread where blob spends his time defending the size of his bald spot
Turf wars
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob can always transplant a patch of his back hair to his shiney Jean Luc Picard dome
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Was thinking about the whole suggestion of signing Barrie next summer, and then HW's post that suggested we probably wouldn't have room, to which Doc insinuates we do....

So let's say we give him $8M.

I don't much care about this, or next, season's cap except for its effects on the 21/22 season when we will have to re-sign Pettersson and Hughes.

So plugging in Boeser at $7M and Barrie at $8M, our cap commitments for that season are.....

Forwards: $33.25M (7 signed)

Defense: $14M (2)

Goaltenders: Zilch.

Recapture: $3M

I'll park the cap for that year at $85M

So $35M to sign 6 more forwards, 6 more defensemen, and 2 goaltenders.

I'm gonna say that if we're lucky Pettersson and Hughes will eat up $15M of the remaining space, and just so I don't short things our goaltenders will cost another $6M.

Now we have $16M to spend on 5 forwards and 5 defensemen. It can be done. No question. Most people would scoff, but Eriksson's contract will almost certainly be off the books by that season (his last on this contract), and bam we're back up to $22M. But there's more! Both Beagle and Roussel are on contracts that reduce their trade protection to a 5 team list for the 21/22 season (it's almost like Elmer was thinking ahead). Those guys could be shipped out and now it's $28M.....granted you have to grab a couple more players now, but I'll wager that Elmer's plan is for a couple of his current prospects to be filling in on ELC's on the 3rd and 4th lines.

So bringing Barrie here would be a doable thing, and so long as it's not on more than a 4-5 year term, it would probably be a good thing. I don't want him here on that kind of cap hit beyond the age of 34 though.....see one Duncan Keith or Brent Seabrook for why.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

But about 5-6 people on here say they don't want two small dmen!

future $8M - Barrie 5'10 - 190lbs turning 29 next offseason,
current $2.325M (future $3.5M? AAV) Stecher 5'10 - 186lbs. turning 26 next year, so still some upside but with a much more reasonable cap hit.

Plus we gotta look at championship defenses and the % of those cap hits, the best have one player on D making mad looch, while the other cap hits are reasonable for young vets / vets, mixed with a young gun on a ELC.

I don't think I'd want Hughes and Barrie taking up a huge cap hit combined in a 2-3 years.

The better bet would be to just let Hughes be the main QB from here on out, let Stecher & Rafferty be the affordable right shot scoring type dmen, while Jett Woo continues to hone his craft to be ready to jump into the pros in a year or two.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:03 pm But about 5-6 people on here say they don't want two small dmen!

future $8M - Barrie 5'10 - 190lbs turning 29 next offseason,
current $2.325M (future $3.5M? AAV) Stecher 5'10 - 186lbs. turning 26 next year, so still some upside but with a much more reasonable cap hit.

Plus we gotta look at championship defenses and the % of those cap hits, the best have one player on D making mad looch, while the other cap hits are reasonable for young vets / vets, mixed with a young gun on a ELC.

I don't think I'd want Hughes and Barrie taking up a huge cap hit combined in a 2-3 years.

The better bet would be to just let Hughes be the main QB from here on out, let Stecher & Rafferty be the affordable right shot scoring type dmen, while Jett Woo continues to hone his craft to be ready to jump into the pros in a year or two.
I dunno SKYO, one of the biggest failings of teams who exit the playoffs before the finals is almost always special teams. They either couldn't kill a penalty or they couldn't score with a man advantage. If Hughes becomes a dynamic PPQB who controls the play from the point, that's great, but we won't know that for a couple more years. Stecher has shown absolutely nobody that he is the kind of guy who can be a PPQB. 2G and 20A last year (and only 2 PP points) don't exactly inspire. His shot is pretty subpar, so he's not exactly making defending forwards have to cheat to take it away, and his puck handling isn't threatening to expose a defender who comes out too aggressively allowing for a mismatch down low.

We don't have a clue what we have in Rafferty.

A PPQB that can do what Barrie does, and what we hope Quinn will do, can change the entire dynamic of a special teams unit and make it a threat simply because they have the vision to distribute the puck and the savvy to get shots through that force a rebound or deflection, the latter allowing them to take a squad of plumbers and crashers and make them into a secondary PP unit that gives opposing coaches third period strokes.

Stecher is the kind of PPQB that opposing coaches love because he's essentially just a relay man.

If Barrie can be had for 5 years or less, I'd do it. It's pretty rare that a defenseman comes off of his ELC and makes massive coin. If they are a good player they usually get a bridge deal. Barrie at $8M while Hughes makes $4M or less is not going to be at all painful because Edler will most likely be taking a $2M haircut on his next contract or be out the door altogether. There will be room.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Mëds wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:26 pm
Stecher has shown absolutely nobody that he is the kind of guy who can be a PPQB.
2G and 20A last year (and only 2 PP points) don't exactly inspire.
His shot is pretty subpar, so he's not exactly making defending forwards have to cheat to take it away, and his puck handling isn't threatening to expose a defender who comes out too aggressively allowing for a mismatch down low.

We don't have a clue what we have in Rafferty.

A PPQB that can do what Barrie does, and what we hope Quinn will do, can change the entire dynamic of a special teams unit and make it a threat ...

If Barrie can be had for 5 years or less, I'd do it. It's pretty rare that a defenseman comes off of his ELC and makes massive coin. If they are a good player they usually get a bridge deal. Barrie at $8M while Hughes makes $4M or less is not going to be at all painful because Edler will most likely be taking a $2M haircut on his next contract or be out the door altogether. There will be room.
Good points, I'd say this is Stecher's last chance to prove he can be that Spurgeon type of dman that many thought he could become, a smart heady scoring contributer on D, if not, you make a good point on dmen not getting a huge 2nd contract after their ELC. Gotta see what Werenski and Provorov get.

So yeah if Stecher can't elevate his game this upcoming season, I'd give Barrie $8M per.

2020/21
Edler $6M - Barrie $8M
Hughes - ELC - Myers $6M
Benn - Juolevi
Tryamkin

2021/22
Hughes - Myers
Tryamkin - Barrie
Juolevi - Woo

& you'd figure one of these guys makes it full time in the NHL with a couple being tweeners AHL/NHL: Brisebois, Chatfield, Rafferty, Teves, Eliot, Utonen, Rathbone.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

I think we want to be a contender for years to come. Meaning taking the age of Bo, Brock, Pete and Quinn as the nucleus.
Edler is probably serving his last two. Myers and Tanev are mature defense men. Benn is older and is the kind of guy who will
possibly get into another type of work in hockey when done.

It would be just about the best thing in the world right now, if Juolevi absolutely blossomed into what was hoped when drafted.

The point is, other than Hughes and 25 year old 3rd pairing Stecher, who may stick or may not after this year, our defense is mature.

I'm pumped about making a run at the playoffs this year, and I think we'll make it, but as the team travels along this road back to
respectability, there will be "many" changes over the next two to three years if it's to be maintained to the point of a dynasty.

Moving Eriksson away from the team is a priority. At least think about moving Tanev and Baertschi.
I'd say Sutter but don't see how at this point.

I was encouraged to hear the more positive outlook for Utica in regards to development.
"evolution"
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

micky107 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:48 pm I think we want to be a contender for years to come. Meaning taking the age of Bo, Brock, Pete and Quinn as the nucleus.
Edler is probably serving his last two. Myers and Tanev are mature defense men. Benn is older and is the kind of guy who will
possibly get into another type of work in hockey when done.

It would be just about the best thing in the world right now, if Juolevi absolutely blossomed into what was hoped when drafted.

The point is, other than Hughes and 25 year old 3rd pairing Stecher, who may stick or may not after this year, our defense is mature.

I'm pumped about making a run at the playoffs this year, and I think we'll make it, but as the team travels along this road back to
respectability, there will be "many" changes over the next two to three years if it's to be maintained to the point of a dynasty.

Moving Eriksson away from the team is a priority. At least think about moving Tanev and Baertschi.
I'd say Sutter but don't see how at this point.

I was encouraged to hear the more positive outlook for Utica in regards to development.
I'll be shocked if Tanev is with the team next season. Even if we are pushing for a playoff spot, it won't shock to see him dealt at the trade deadline. Sooner if Juolevi or Brisebois blow us out of the water.

Myers will be in our top-4 for at least the next 3 seasons, and Elder for the duration of this contract. I will not at all be surprised to see Edler come back again on another 2 year deal at $3M in a role where he is the #4 guy who knows the plan is for him to become the old man leader who leads more at practice and from the bench and will be on the bottom pairing for his final season. If he's willing to do that, then I hope he gets a ring for it.

So in the system currently I'd say Myers, Hughes, Juolevi, Edler, and Woo, are the blueline we could still see here in 2022.....and so long as Juolevi and Woo pan out, that's not half bad.

Hughes - Myers
Juolevi - Barrie
Edler - Woo

From what we've seen from Hughes in junior and college, and the short showcase with the Stink Whale, and the junior highlights from Woo, there is a good deal to be optimistic about. Juolevi is still a question mark, but if he's the player that Elmer thinks he is, and we hope he is, we're looking pretty damn good in a couple of seasons. I just hope we can win a Cup before the likes of Doc, Blob, and Dude, are too senile to actually enjoy the victory laps on the big screen in the care home.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:03 pm But about 5-6 people on here say they don't want two small dmen!

There’s 5 or 6 mouth breathers on here that still think Luca Sbisa and Erik Gudbranson are legit top 4 defenders.

These characters should have a helmet and a handler
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

“Olaf is 6’-0” 170 lbs” - Blab Mckanzie
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:45 pm There’s 5 or 6 mouth breathers on here that still think Luca Sbisa and Erik Gudbranson are legit top 4 defenders.

Still in the strawman building business eh Blob? :D

Nicely done, you look almost intelligent standing next to that strawman! :lol:

Yeahno, no one ever said that about Sbisa and if they did they certainly wouldn't "still think" it...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:03 pm “Olaf is 6’-0” 170 lbs” - Blab Mckanzie
Blob slanders Canuck prospects because Lord forbid "Elmer" looks good...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:31 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:45 pm There’s 5 or 6 mouth breathers on here that still think Luca Sbisa and Erik Gudbranson are legit top 4 defenders.

Off to see the Wizard.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:38 pm

Off to see the Wizard.
Which one? There’s a few wizards on this board.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:42 am
Topper wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:38 pm

Off to see the Wizard.
Which one?
____
Try to focus on someday.