Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:34 am They bought him out after the Gagner trade, so he’s still on the cap for one more year.
I guess signing Samwise Gagger wasnt such a good move then...we had to eat a chunk of poo to flush him away
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:23 am
Cherry Picker wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:34 am They bought him out after the Gagner trade, so he’s still on the cap for one more year.
I guess signing Samwise Gagger wasnt such a good move then...we had to eat a chunk of poo to flush him away
I can't believe it but when it occurred, I didn't hate the Sam Gagner signing because, quite frankly, I thought it might be a way to jettison
Sutter for a pick or something.
Nope..
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:10 am Benning just has to figure out how to bide his Cap time for just one more season when Edler, Sutter, Benn and Pearson come off the books. How hard can that be? In the mean time figure out how the fuck to get rid of Eriksson and Baertschi.
Just one more season of Baer too Dude...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:23 am
Gagner was insurance for when the sedins retired, luckily petey didn’t need time in the ahl and was a bonafide top center that made him redundant.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Redwings fans on twitter trying to get Thatcher Demko, the young goaltending prodigy.

in response to Elliotte:
Friedman on Tim & Sid talking about which teams are going to be tight with the cap staying frozen at $81.5M: "I think Toronto, Vancouver and the Rangers are going to be among the teams that are going to have some really tough decisions to make."
rc-tendy: Red wings will take some cap space from Vancouver for Demko

nate: Would be a great idea for Detroit.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

SKYO wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:37 pm Redwings fans on twitter trying to get Thatcher Demko, the young goaltending prodigy.

in response to Elliotte:
Friedman on Tim & Sid talking about which teams are going to be tight with the cap staying frozen at $81.5M: "I think Toronto, Vancouver and the Rangers are going to be among the teams that are going to have some really tough decisions to make."

I think they lose one of Markstrom or Demko by the expansion draft. These playoffs will determine how they go. If Markstrom is hot out of the gate and leads them to the second round. They could resign him and move out Louie with a Demko sweetener. If Markstrom flops and they lose to Minny or are swept in the first round. They can let Marky walk as a UFA, sign a cheaper veteran to share the net with Demko for one season and then move forward with Demko and Depietro if they both develop well.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Cherry Picker wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:22 pm
SKYO wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:37 pm Redwings fans on twitter trying to get Thatcher Demko, the young goaltending prodigy.

in response to Elliotte:

I think they lose one of Markstrom or Demko by the expansion draft. These playoffs will determine how they go. If Markstrom is hot out of the gate and leads them to the second round. They could resign him and move out Louie with a Demko sweetener. If Markstrom flops and they lose to Minny or are swept in the first round. They can let Marky walk as a UFA, sign a cheaper veteran to share the net with Demko for one season and then move forward with Demko and Depietro if they both develop well.
Yeah the playoffs will be a big factor, or JB could just trade with Seattle to protect both goalies, but if history holds true (see teams trading with Vegas), that team usually loses out in the end, while Vegas got a whole slew of good players and picks.

I'm kind of leaning towards letting Marky go and keeping Demko long-term, more upside with TD imho, cost controlled, save on cap in these dire times, especially if the cap doesn't go up for awhile.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

How much cap space could we get if we threw in Demko as a sweetener?

It’s not worth it to move one year of Baertschi or one year of Sutter. But if Detroit would eat Eriksson’s cap or Beagle/Roussel Elmer should do it in a heartbeat. But I can’t see any team wanting to eat two years of 6 million in cap for guys like that. Demko is trending ok but I doubt he’d be enough to ditch that much dead cap.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:47 pm How much cap space could we get if we threw in Demko as a sweetener?

It’s not worth it to move one year of Baertschi or one year of Sutter. But if Detroit would eat Eriksson’s cap or Beagle/Roussel Elmer should do it in a heartbeat. But I can’t see any team wanting to eat two years of 6 million in cap for guys like that. Demko is trending ok but I doubt he’d be enough to ditch that much dead cap.
It depends on how far from the cap the team getting Louie is. The Canucks only owe Louie five million over two years in actual cash. A team like Ottawa has a ton of cap space. They could easily take the two years of six million cap hit, but only pay 2.5 million per season in real money. It may help them reach the salary floor without actually handing out all the cash needed to reach the floor. They could sit Louie and it wouldn’t matter to them. Ottawa (or a similar team) would just need to decide if getting a young player like Demko is worth five million cash over two seasons (if Benning makes the offer). Cap tight team won’t take Louie, but teams with lots of cap room would depending on how much they want the sweetener.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:47 pm How much cap space could we get if we threw in Demko as a sweetener?

Actually I looked at Detroit and they're really lacking for young goaltenders in their system and maybe Demko would be a good fit for them. I'd actually want them to take both Eriksson and Baertschi as Baertschi would be a good one season placeholder for them since they're not overly deep on the wings.
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Cherry Picker wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:16 pm

It depends on how far from the cap the team getting Louie is. The Canucks only owe Louie five million over two years in actual cash. A team like Ottawa has a ton of cap space. They could easily take the two years of six million cap hit, but only pay 2.5 million per season in real money. It may help them reach the salary floor without actually handing out all the cash needed to reach the floor. They could sit Louie and it wouldn’t matter to them. Ottawa (or a similar team) would just need to decide if getting a young player like Demko is worth five million cash over two seasons (if Benning makes the offer). Cap tight team won’t take Louie, but teams with lots of cap room would depending on how much they want the sweetener.
Depends on how high Ottawa are on Hogberg, Sogaard, and Gustavsson. Maybe they'd want another sweetener but they also have quality youth and prospects coming at each position.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

The only "dead cap" is Eriksson. Beagle, Roussel and Baertschi all have some value in that they can actually play NHL minutes. Baertschi is probably a top-line winger in Detroit - he could probably bump the Mighty Tyler Bertuzzi from that spot!
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Sekeres saying the Canucks have explored trading Boeser.

:shock:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:21 pm

The only "dead cap" is Eriksson. Beagle, Roussel and Baertschi all have some value in that they can actually play NHL minutes. Baertschi is probably a top-line winger in Detroit - he could probably bump the Mighty Tyler Bertuzzi from that spot!

Ok I can live with bloated shitty contracts instead of dead cap. Baertschi isn’t in anyone’s top six let alone their top
line.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

SKYO wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:39 pm Sekeres saying the Canucks have explored trading Boeser.

:shock:
I don't know much about this guy but;
RD@ Buck Foston_
Sekeres clarifying: I'm not saying [Boeser's] being shopped or on the block, they sit down and think how they're going to fit everyone. "one of the things that's come up, is Boeser's $6M salary"
2:46 PM · Jul 10, 2020
I'm leaving for a while. The radio excerpt will be available when the show is over...

:evil:
"evolution"