Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Pulock is a more polished player than Cernak at this point. He’s not going to sign for anything less than 6 million. The Islanders are almost as fucked as Tampa for cap space though.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:56 am
Mëds wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:51 pm
Cherry Picker wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:45 pm if Benning got rid of six million in cap space (which he likely won’t). He’d have better options to take players from teams that are over the cap (like Tampa) than to sign Hoffman.
Would Cernak or Pulock be worth a 1st and 2nd rounder?

Loui + 1st out.
Cernak or Pulock in on an offersheet below $4.3M in exchange for a 2nd rounder?
To get a team to let an asset like Pulock or Cernak go you have to make the offer too rich and the compensation better than a 2nd. A low offer like that will be an automatic match and gain the offering GM an instant enemy.

Benning isnt that guy
Agree. You’ll have to “overpay” to get these two. Stay away.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

lostinarink wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:38 pm Any thoughts on the Ericsson / Hoffman rumours (from EK :oops: )

Hoffman waiting for Benning to clear cap so he can sign.
Benning offering Ericsson and next year's 1st for, well, nothing....

I believe Benning said no way he would offer a high draft pick to sell players, and the source is suspect, but would you do this?
I hope it's BS on both fronts. They'll be fine with the cap if they LTIR Ferland and bury both Eriksson and Baertschi in Utica, I don't see why they'd give up another first so soon after dealing one for Miller and I certainly wouldn't want the extra space going to Hoffman. They need a defensive minded RHD and sign Virtanen and I'd be good to go with that lineup.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Curmudgeon wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:46 am
lostinarink wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:38 pm Any thoughts on the Ericsson / Hoffman rumours (from EK :oops: )

I believe Benning said no way he would offer a high draft pick to sell players, and the source is suspect, but would you do this?
I hope it's BS on both fronts. They'll be fine with the cap if they LTIR Ferland and bury both Eriksson and Baertschi in Utica, I don't see why they'd give up another first so soon after dealing one for Miller and I certainly wouldn't want the extra space going to Hoffman. They need a defensive minded RHD and sign Virtanen and I'd be good to go with that lineup.
Hoffman for one year is fine. Gives us another sniper. I really doubt benning is offering an unprotected first for Louie, if he was he’d be gone. I wonder if there’s still some talks going on with Arizona and oel. Unloading sutter, Louie, next years first plus another pick and Jake for oel would put us into contender status with that d core.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:00 am

Hoffman for one year is fine. Gives us another sniper. I really doubt benning is offering an unprotected first for Louie, if he was he’d be gone. I wonder if there’s still some talks going on with Arizona and oel. Unloading sutter, Louie, next years first plus another pick and Jake for oel would put us into contender status with that d core.
For one year only. Couldn’t afford Hughes after that. No thanks. HUGE overpayment that absolutely fucks us later.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:36 am

For one year only. Couldn’t afford Hughes after that. No thanks. HUGE overpayment that absolutely fucks us later.
This... people also seem to forget the 6 million per owed to Myers for four more years. He’s no better than a decent #4
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:56 am
Mëds wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:51 pm
Cherry Picker wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:45 pm if Benning got rid of six million in cap space (which he likely won’t). He’d have better options to take players from teams that are over the cap (like Tampa) than to sign Hoffman.
Would Cernak or Pulock be worth a 1st and 2nd rounder?

Loui + 1st out.
Cernak or Pulock in on an offersheet below $4.3M in exchange for a 2nd rounder?
To get a team to let an asset like Pulock or Cernak go you have to make the offer too rich and the compensation better than a 2nd. A low offer like that will be an automatic match and gain the offering GM an instant enemy.

Benning isnt that guy
But in this cap climate it might be doable. Both of those teams have cap issues.
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Or instead of overlooking Hoffman's defensive deficiencies knowing he's a one year rental they could play the longer term investment and gift a spot to Hoglander, overlook any deficiencies he has and save themselves the cap difference.

I certainly hope OEL is off the table. I didn't like the thought of that contract in the first place and hate it now that they've acquired Schmidt. I'd even rather see them sign Hainsey on a cheap one year and platoon him and Benn on the right side killing penalties while playing with Juolevi or Rathbone than committing longterm to OEL. There are better options out there, Vatanen/Hamonic/Koekkoek, depending on how much cap they have after settling with Virtanen but OEL and Schmidt are 29 and Myers is 30 and having $20 million in cap tied up with those guys for another 4 years would be a mistake IMO.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

I would only package Loui and the 1st in a trade that would bring back a RFA with term. Similar to the Miller deal last year. Ideally I would rather see a D man come back but would be okay with a forward.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Curmudgeon wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:33 am

Or instead of overlooking Hoffman's defensive deficiencies knowing he's a one year rental they could play the longer term investment and gift a spot to Hoglander, overlook any deficiencies he has and save themselves the cap difference.

I certainly hope OEL is off the table. I didn't like the thought of that contract in the first place and hate it now that they've acquired Schmidt. I'd even rather see them sign Hainsey on a cheap one year and platoon him and Benn on the right side killing penalties while playing with Juolevi or Rathbone than committing longterm to OEL. There are better options out there, Vatanen/Hamonic/Koekkoek, depending on how much cap they have after settling with Virtanen but OEL and Schmidt are 29 and Myers is 30 and having $20 million in cap tied up with those guys for another 4 years would be a mistake IMO.
I think with the expansion draft looming, one of those 3 will get taken. I’d rather see 28 million allocated to our top 4 then have it sit with Louie, sutter, beagle, roussel on the bottom 6 (all of which will be replaced with elc’s and hawrlyuck type guys within the next 2 years). I really like oel and think he’s a legit 1-2 guy yet just stuck on a shitty Arizona team. His term is scary with the flat cap right now but he’s still an amazing dman. Being able to roll Hughes and Meyers, Schmidt and oel, as a top 4 would make us one of the best transitioning teams in the league. This is all daydreaming though, Oel isn’t getting moved this offseason, and id rather save a spot for tree. Just thinking of ways to get rid of Louie.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

And maybe a decision gets made to move on from Edler after next season and then resurrect the OEL trade.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:39 pm And maybe a decision gets made to move on from Edler after next season and then resurrect the OEL trade.
OEL -8.25
Hughes- 8.5- 10
Schmidt - 6
Myers- 6

Way too top heavy.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:54 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:39 pm And maybe a decision gets made to move on from Edler after next season and then resurrect the OEL trade.
OEL -8.25
Hughes- 8.5- 10
Schmidt - 6
Myers- 6

Way too top heavy.
Not if Myers is moved to make the space
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:07 pm
OEL -8.25
Hughes- 8.5- 10
Schmidt - 6
Myers- 6

Way too top heavy.
That should be easy enough. :lol:
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:26 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:07 pm
OEL -8.25
Hughes- 8.5- 10
Schmidt - 6
Myers- 6

Way too top heavy.
That should be easy enough. :lol:
He is a giant right side dman. Its not THAT hard to imagine
If you need air...call it in