Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Strangelove »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:39 pm OKAY I ADMIT IT!!!

You caught me damnit, please stop rubbing my nose in it!

I was wrong and Skyo was Right! Happy?!!

I'm sorry for being such a jackass and then trying to weasel my way out of it.

I haven't felt this dirty since I participated in coitus with the gimp...

Please... PLEASE... forgive me! :cry:

(btw that smiley is an actual gif of my face after the gimp was done with me)
Alright, I forgive you Doyle...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Curmudgeon
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Curmudgeon »

SKYO wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:38 am Just to chime in on Gillis fiasco dealing with Luongo:
MG: "We decided to create a culture that was borne out of science," Gillis said of Vancouver's solution to the travel challenge facing west-coast franchises.
"
Science? come on...
Gillis shared an interesting sports science note about Luongo, a surefire Hall of Famer. The recently retired netminder dealt with "a degree of performance anxiety" and, based off his hormone levels, the club would notice him go through "almost a physical change" ahead of certain games.

"We were always trying to figure out a way to get him over that hurdle," Gillis said. "We went to a lot of different places and talked to a lot of different people ... He's a really sensitive guy with a great sense of humor, and his sense of humor would go away and his sensitivity would increase."
On several occasions Friday, Gillis mentioned that leaders are made, not born.
Gillis knew he was a emotional guy, yet....

A good read on how Mike Gillis threw out two franchise goalies and his inability to handle the goalie situation:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/gauging ... ing-luongo

2012 playoffs after two President trophies:
Charron: "And, come on. Has Luongo been the problem for the team? With 65 shots against and just 4 goals, to be even in this series, you’re counting on your goaltender to have a .938 save percentage just to be tied through two games. Luongo’s even strength save percentage is at .951, his problems resulting from poor goal support, five-on-five defence and an atrocious powerplay."

Nonetheless, head coach Alain Vigneault (whose goaltending decisions necessitated Gillis’ input) opted for Schneider in game 3 despite insisting that “being down 2-0 is not a reflection of the goaltending we’ve had“.

A week later, the Canucks were out of the playoffs and Schneider assumed the role of number one goaltender (signing a 3 year/$12M extension on June 29).
Then Gillis made a mockery of Lu and mishandling the situation again after that. They lost in the playoffs and MG said:
After being swept in four games, Gillis declared it “unlikely” that Luongo would be back,
....7 weeks later - Trades Schneider! lol

Luongo shocked obviously after Gillis made it abundantly clear Luongo was not his man.....but the new CBA changed his opinion:
When did Mike Gillis know he was trading goalie Cory Schneider rather than Roberto Luongo?
“Right after the CBA was ratified,” MG said.
and so MG got the owners to meet Lu - as Gillis is a pussy and knew Lu probably hated his guts at this point...
Duthie: Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini came to Luongo's house in Florida and told him about the Schneider trade moments before it was announced.
He came back and Torts sits him out the heritage classic, boom he's done - two days later traded
Luongo: "I thought my contract was untradeable. Just when I was starting to let my guard down, the trade happens. Go figure.
MG done in Vancouver shortly after.
Great job here. Gillis inherits two number 1 goalies, mishandles the dealing of Luongo, and in the end the team today benefits with their newly minted captain and number 1 goalie. If you're just looking at the end result today in 2020 it's great for the team player wise but you'd expect the guy who considered himself to be smarter than everybody else not make the unforced errors he did along the way. He was so arrogant he thought the guy he pushed out of the job, Nonis, would be straight up and cut a fair deal with him, helping him out of a bit of a jam Gillis himself created. Now that's arrogance.

He's lucky Sundin didn't take him up on the 2 year contract offer, they had to sign the Sedins and Edler the following summer or half way through the Sundin deal and Burkie was ready to pounce on the Sedins. Remember it was even subject to tampering allegations at the time. So Gillis did good and bad here, he made blunders just like most every GM including Benning and the legend Pat Quinn has.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Curmudgeon wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:36 am
SKYO wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:38 am Just to chime in on Gillis fiasco dealing with Luongo:
MG: "We decided to create a culture that was borne out of science," Gillis said of Vancouver's solution to the travel challenge facing west-coast franchises.
"
Science? come on...
Gillis shared an interesting sports science note about Luongo, a surefire Hall of Famer. The recently retired netminder dealt with "a degree of performance anxiety" and, based off his hormone levels, the club would notice him go through "almost a physical change" ahead of certain games.

"We were always trying to figure out a way to get him over that hurdle," Gillis said. "We went to a lot of different places and talked to a lot of different people ... He's a really sensitive guy with a great sense of humor, and his sense of humor would go away and his sensitivity would increase."
On several occasions Friday, Gillis mentioned that leaders are made, not born.
Gillis knew he was a emotional guy, yet....

A good read on how Mike Gillis threw out two franchise goalies and his inability to handle the goalie situation:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/gauging ... ing-luongo

2012 playoffs after two President trophies:
Charron: "And, come on. Has Luongo been the problem for the team? With 65 shots against and just 4 goals, to be even in this series, you’re counting on your goaltender to have a .938 save percentage just to be tied through two games. Luongo’s even strength save percentage is at .951, his problems resulting from poor goal support, five-on-five defence and an atrocious powerplay."

Nonetheless, head coach Alain Vigneault (whose goaltending decisions necessitated Gillis’ input) opted for Schneider in game 3 despite insisting that “being down 2-0 is not a reflection of the goaltending we’ve had“.

A week later, the Canucks were out of the playoffs and Schneider assumed the role of number one goaltender (signing a 3 year/$12M extension on June 29).
Then Gillis made a mockery of Lu and mishandling the situation again after that. They lost in the playoffs and MG said:
After being swept in four games, Gillis declared it “unlikely” that Luongo would be back,
....7 weeks later - Trades Schneider! lol

Luongo shocked obviously after Gillis made it abundantly clear Luongo was not his man.....but the new CBA changed his opinion:
When did Mike Gillis know he was trading goalie Cory Schneider rather than Roberto Luongo?
“Right after the CBA was ratified,” MG said.
and so MG got the owners to meet Lu - as Gillis is a pussy and knew Lu probably hated his guts at this point...
Duthie: Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini came to Luongo's house in Florida and told him about the Schneider trade moments before it was announced.
He came back and Torts sits him out the heritage classic, boom he's done - two days later traded
Luongo: "I thought my contract was untradeable. Just when I was starting to let my guard down, the trade happens. Go figure.
MG done in Vancouver shortly after.
Great job here. Gillis inherits two number 1 goalies, mishandles the dealing of Luongo, and in the end the team today benefits with their newly minted captain and number 1 goalie. If you're just looking at the end result today in 2020 it's great for the team player wise but you'd expect the guy who considered himself to be smarter than everybody else not make the unforced errors he did along the way. He was so arrogant he thought the guy he pushed out of the job, Nonis, would be straight up and cut a fair deal with him, helping him out of a bit of a jam Gillis himself created. Now that's arrogance.

He's lucky Sundin didn't take him up on the 2 year contract offer, they had to sign the Sedins and Edler the following summer or half way through the Sundin deal and Burkie was ready to pounce on the Sedins. Remember it was even subject to tampering allegations at the time. So Gillis did good and bad here, he made blunders just like most every GM including Benning and the legend Pat Quinn has.
Getting bo for Schneider is probably gillis’s best move. The Loungo trade eventhough it’s worked had the recipe to be a disaster, markstrom was failing as a young goalie and I think sneaking him through waivers and giving him stability and Rollie as a goalie coach is what saved his career. I don’t know if he makes it in any other hockey market.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:10 pm Gina never liked Vancouver.
Maybe, but I seem to recall thru the grapevine that Lou had an extramarital affair, which is the main reason Gina went running back home to Florida. Man, when we first got Lou, he played like a god. I thought he was going to be our first Vezina tophy winner, potentially a hart trophy goalie and carry us to the Cup. After some personal issues, I think it did mess with Lou's performance and psyche, classic example the feud he had with Timmy Thomas during the Cup run.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:42 pm After some personal issues, I think it did mess with Lou's performance and psyche, classic example the feud he had with Timmy Thomas during the Cup run.
No doubt! Lou broke when Thomas shot that puck at his net at the end of a pregame warmup.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lou was upmznd down like a whore’s pants in that series.

Three gems, three stinkers and it was all not enough. Thomas was the better goalie
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:12 pm Lou was upmznd down like a whore’s pants in that series.

Three gems, three stinkers and it was all not enough. Thomas was the better goalie
True, but I also think there's something to what Todd is saying.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Ain’t going there. There’s been rumours for years from Brown to Mitchell to Kesler, Luongo to Linden to whoever..... Don’t care really probably not that much different than most big league teams
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:19 pm Ain’t going there. There’s been rumours for years from Brown to Mitchell to Kesler, Luongo to Linden to whoever..... Don’t care really probably not that much different than most big league teams
Okay, don't go there, but how bout here...

Gina went back to Florida for whatever reason. (you said it yourself)

She took the kids with her, don't forget.

This put stress on Luongo and their marriage.

Luongo became mentally fragile because of that stress.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:21 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:19 pm Ain’t going there. There’s been rumours for years from Brown to Mitchell to Kesler, Luongo to Linden to whoever..... Don’t care really probably not that much different than most big league teams
Okay, don't go there, but how bout here...

Gina went back to Florida for whatever reason. (you said it yourself)

She took the kids with her, don't forget.

This put stress on Luongo and their marriage.

Luongo became mentally fragile because of that stress.
Luongo got a royal flush then didn't give a fuck.
"evolution"
Curmudgeon
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Curmudgeon »

And that doesn't include the married guys who were club hounds nailing randoms. Some of the most beloved Canucks aren't entirely who the fans think they think are so you're right, best not to enter that rabbit hole. Sedins were perfect though and we were so lucky to have them here.

I still think McLean from '94 wins the Cup in '11.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Curmudgeon wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:28 am
And that doesn't include the married guys who were club hounds nailing randoms. Some of the most beloved Canucks aren't entirely who the fans think they think are so you're right, best not to enter that rabbit hole. Sedins were perfect though and we were so lucky to have them here.

I still think McLean from '94 wins the Cup in '11.
FWIW, I think giving Schneider the start in Game 4 or 6 wins the Cup.
damonberryman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by damonberryman »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:10 pm
Micky wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:06 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:14 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:04 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:17 am he’s a small guy
If u go have a beer with him and gomer u can check out his spider pipes
I thought it was you that Gomer invited to sit down and have a beer with him.
I would appreciate that if you feel the need to call me a silly name...,(because you think it makes others laugh), that you find another.
I refuse to be called that name without fighting back--If I said why with a full characterization, I could be reprimanded or booted. I have very strong personal opinions on certain things that are now accepted that I don't ..............................................................................
:o

Whats the deal here? The more you resist the harder they gonna give you the sausage dontcha know...
AHMEN BROTHER
Cherry Picker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Cherry Picker »

Couldn’t help myself thinking about the roster if they win the lottery:

FORWARDS (13)
Right wing: Tyler Toffoli ($5,250,000) - Brock Boeser ($5,875,000) - Jake Virtanen ($3,200,000) - Zack MacEwen ($1,000,000)
Centre: Elias Pettersson ($925,000) - Bo Horvat ($5,500,000) - Adam Gaudette ($2,300,000) - Jay Beagle ($3,000,000) - Brandon Sutter ($4,375,000)
Left wing: J.T. Miller ($5,250,000) - Alex Lafrenire ($1,000,000) - Tanner Pearson ($3,750,000) - Tyler Motte ($1,000,000)

DEFENSE (8)
Right: Christopher Tanev ($5,000,000) - Brogan Rafferty ($700,000) - Tyler Myers ($6,000,000) - Jordie Benn ($2,000,000)
Left: Quinn Hughes ($916,667) - Alexander Edler ($6,000,000) - Nikita Tryamkin ($2,200,000) - Olli Juolevi ($863,333)

GOALTENDER (2)
Thatcher Demko ($1,050,000) - Jacob Markström ($5,250,000)

AHL BURIED (1)

Sven Baertschi ($2,291,666)

BUYOUTS (1)
Ryan Spooner ($1,033,333)

DETAILS
Roster Size: 23
Salary Cap: $81,500,000
Cap Hit: $78,763,205
Cap Space: $2,736,795

If they win the lottery, they could afford to give up Hoglander or Lind in a package to move Louie and Roussel out for nothing in return to clear their cap space.
Ferland is assumed to be on LTIR.
I’d offer Tanev a one year deal at a slightly inflated salary for taking a short term. It would also help a lot in the expansion draft. If that were not acceptable to him then sign Stecher or another UFA, and make do.
Pearson, Sutter, Edler, Tanev, and Benn’s contracts will expire at the end of next season which would give more than 20 million In cap space to sign Hughes and Petey to massive deals.
Podkolzin could take Pearson’s spot the year after next.
The defence would need tinkering over the next couple of years, but that team would be very entertaining and competitive.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Benning just has to figure out how to bide his Cap time for just one more season when Edler, Sutter, Benn and Pearson come off the books. How hard can that be? In the mean time figure out how the fuck to get rid of Eriksson and Baertschi.

The Gillis Bros should take solace in the fact that the new Hughes and Pettersson contracts will keep Benning in check when it comes to getting silly with UFA signings and trading picks and prospects for vets carrying sizeable contracts. One would think, but it’s Benning, he ain’t scared, he’s wild with his six shooters.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau