Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Strangelove »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:07 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:05 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:46 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:34 pm Spending 12 million on a couple of 4/5 D men is idiotic.
Doyle and his infamous hyperbole lol, he just can't help himself folks! :lol:
Myers is currently about a #4 on most teams. He and Barrie are both going to be on the decline pretty smartly. So yeah for the balance of their long term contracts, 4/5 seems pretty accurate. Barrie is a really shitty defender. He’s great on the PP but he can’t defend. He wouldn’t be on the #1 PP here
And yuuuup... Crazy Doyle doubles down! :lol:
LOL the Great Doyle knows all, sees all! :lol:

*kicks Doyle in his crystal balls*
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Barrie is a 2-3 defender not a 4-5 and would sign in the mid 5s to throw on his canucklehead pajamas while circle gm place with the cup over his bucket
If you need air...call it in
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Curmudgeon wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:01 pm Eriksson and Sutter leaving would sure solve a lot of issues. Said it before but I would have sent Eriksson to Utica at the start of this season and they sure as hell better do it next fall, or threaten to angling for a termination, should everything else fail. Worst contract in franchise history by far.
Not even close to worst in franchise history. The loungo contract is way worse.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:51 pm
Curmudgeon wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:01 pm Eriksson and Sutter leaving would sure solve a lot of issues. Said it before but I would have sent Eriksson to Utica at the start of this season and they sure as hell better do it next fall, or threaten to angling for a termination, should everything else fail. Worst contract in franchise history by far.
At least Luongo gave us some value. Since his very first game as a canuck Eriksson has been a huge disappointment.

We didnt even get a single game out of him before we knew...thats pretty bad
If you need air...call it in
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:11 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:06 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:02 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:44 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:26 pm Lol no Sutter does not get decent assets back with a million retained. He’s still overpaid at 3.35 million.
In terms of REAL DOLLARS, Sutter would only be owed $2.5M for one season post-signing-bonus with $1M retained...
In terms of CAP SPACE it’s 3.35 million. No team is giving up decent assets for that.
Well I wasn't commenting on the assets-back part, just pointing out the REAL DOLLARS part.
I was refuting Dickie Dee’s outlandish claim that a 3.35 cap hit Sutter would fetch some decent assets.
He’s still a third line center, that can score win face offs and is an elite pker (probably the best on the team). I would prefer we keep him and move beagle if possible but the extra year on his contract might make that trickier. As far as outlandish, my god Doyle you’re the king of hyperbole.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:57 pm
At least Luongo gave us some value. Since his very first game as a canuck Eriksson has been a huge disappointment.

We didnt even get a single game out of him before we knew...thats pretty bad
That’s true and IF we would have won the cup it would have been worthwhile. It’s truly remarkable though how Louie completely fell off a cliff, we all figured he might not hit 30-40 goals, but to not even sniff 20 in the 5 years is remarkable.
Curmudgeon
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Curmudgeon »

Even with Bettman screwing the Canucks it's not worse. HOF goalie in his prime almost winning a Cup here vs a fading fast player everybody knew wasn't going to live up to his contract. Eriksson was turning 31 and already in decline, hadn't scored 30 goals in 7 years prior to his contract year, and the team's window had slammed shut. Easily the worst.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Yep... easily the worst
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Curmudgeon wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:05 pm
Even with Bettman screwing the Canucks it's not worse. HOF goalie in his prime almost winning a Cup here vs a fading fast player everybody knew wasn't going to live up to his contract. Eriksson was turning 31 and already in decline, hadn't scored 30 goals in 7 years prior to his contract year, and the team's window had slammed shut. Easily the worst.
Bettman didn’t screw the Canucks gillis did. They were warned, then given a cbo, then in one of the stupidest moves a gm can make gave up control of the contract. That’s what makes it the worst contract. Eriksson is second worst. But if they agree to mutual contract termination like bogosian the actual “damage” to the team is minimal, he was a bleh player on a rebuilding team, and his cap won’t stop us from improving. Loungo’s is stopping us from improving.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

And yet the CBO’s were after the Luongo contract was rubber stamped by the league. Lying isn’t your strong point. Or is it that you didn’t know that? Come on man. Let’s not use the Dud garbage of piling on everything Gillis. The recapture is a joke plain and simple.

Did you get picked on by Gillis and Holland like the Chef?

I get your Benning loyalty. But maybe look back a few management regimes if you’re going to criticize management decisions in this city. Otherwise you look like a Benning lackey. What’s your opinion of Dave Nonis? Brian Burke? Pat Quinn?
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:13 pm And yet the CBO’s were after the Luongo contract was rubber stamped by the league. Lying isn’t your strong point. Or is it that you didn’t know that? Come on man. Let’s not use the Dud garbage of piling on everything Gillis. The recapture is a joke plain and simple.

I get your Benning loyalty. But maybe look back a few management regimes if you’re going to criticize management decisions in this city. Otherwise you look like a Benning lackey. What’s your opinion of Dave Nonis? Brian Burke? Pat Quinn?
Yeah I know the cbo’s were after the contract were rubber stamped, they were given to avoid the penalties. The biggest mistake (Nashville did it as well), was losing control of that contract. If they kept Luongo we don’t have to spend on miller, we can ride Luongo through the rebuild and ltir him. If they kept loungo it’s a great contract losing control of it makes it horrible.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:13 pm And yet the CBO’s were after the Luongo contract was rubber stamped by the league. Lying isn’t your strong point. Or is it that you didn’t know that? Come on man. Let’s not use the Dud garbage of piling on everything Gillis. The recapture is a joke plain and simple.

Liked Burke (still do), he and nonis helped shape the sedin era, Burke could never get a goalie though, couldn’t do it in Toronto or Calgary either. Quinn was great. Gillis had his strengths as well, and he definitely helped the core he inherited get as close as possible to the cup, and if they would have won it, the negatives of his tenure would be brushed under the rug. I just think the loungo contract was him trying to cheat the system and then by trading him made a huge error.
Curmudgeon
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Curmudgeon »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:27 pm
Curmudgeon wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:05 pm
Bettman didn’t screw the Canucks gillis did. They were warned, then given a cbo, then in one of the stupidest moves a gm can make gave up control of the contract. That’s what makes it the worst contract. Eriksson is second worst. But if they agree to mutual contract termination like bogosian the actual “damage” to the team is minimal, he was a bleh player on a rebuilding team, and his cap won’t stop us from improving. Loungo’s is stopping us from improving.
Well now, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. lol
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Just to chime in on Gillis fiasco dealing with Luongo:
MG: "We decided to create a culture that was borne out of science," Gillis said of Vancouver's solution to the travel challenge facing west-coast franchises.
"
Science? come on...
Gillis shared an interesting sports science note about Luongo, a surefire Hall of Famer. The recently retired netminder dealt with "a degree of performance anxiety" and, based off his hormone levels, the club would notice him go through "almost a physical change" ahead of certain games.

"We were always trying to figure out a way to get him over that hurdle," Gillis said. "We went to a lot of different places and talked to a lot of different people ... He's a really sensitive guy with a great sense of humor, and his sense of humor would go away and his sensitivity would increase."
On several occasions Friday, Gillis mentioned that leaders are made, not born.
Gillis knew he was a emotional guy, yet....

A good read on how Mike Gillis threw out two franchise goalies and his inability to handle the goalie situation:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/gauging ... ing-luongo

2012 playoffs after two President trophies:
Charron: "And, come on. Has Luongo been the problem for the team? With 65 shots against and just 4 goals, to be even in this series, you’re counting on your goaltender to have a .938 save percentage just to be tied through two games. Luongo’s even strength save percentage is at .951, his problems resulting from poor goal support, five-on-five defence and an atrocious powerplay."

Nonetheless, head coach Alain Vigneault (whose goaltending decisions necessitated Gillis’ input) opted for Schneider in game 3 despite insisting that “being down 2-0 is not a reflection of the goaltending we’ve had“.

A week later, the Canucks were out of the playoffs and Schneider assumed the role of number one goaltender (signing a 3 year/$12M extension on June 29).
Then Gillis made a mockery of Lu and mishandling the situation again after that. They lost in the playoffs and MG said:
After being swept in four games, Gillis declared it “unlikely” that Luongo would be back,
....7 weeks later - Trades Schneider! lol

Luongo shocked obviously after Gillis made it abundantly clear Luongo was not his man.....but the new CBA changed his opinion:
When did Mike Gillis know he was trading goalie Cory Schneider rather than Roberto Luongo?
“Right after the CBA was ratified,” MG said.
and so MG got the owners to meet Lu - as Gillis is a pussy and knew Lu probably hated his guts at this point...
Duthie: Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini came to Luongo's house in Florida and told him about the Schneider trade moments before it was announced.
He came back and Torts sits him out the heritage classic, boom he's done - two days later traded
Luongo: "I thought my contract was untradeable. Just when I was starting to let my guard down, the trade happens. Go figure.
MG done in Vancouver shortly after.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

He traded both goalies for a good return. The league fucked the Canucks in the ass on the recapture penalty.