Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Curmudgeon
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Curmudgeon »

SKYO wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:35 pm
Curmudgeon wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:13 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:16 am I did hear it on good authority last summer that Benning was close to acquiring Risto...(Faro, YT lounge lizard)
Seriously? That's not the type of player I want them to add at this point. They need to tighten things up on defense and I'd prefer it be someone who's more abrasive too.
6'4 214lb Risto had 203 hits this season, he hits with a lot of power for a pt producer.

I just think he needs to be put in the right situation to succeed, on a more well balanced team, with a strong defensive LD to cover for him.
I saw that and his year to year hit numbers are high but he doesn't strike me as being as intimidating as those numbers are. I don't know, you also have to weigh what Buffalo would be asking for against his defensive deficiencies and it doesn't seem as the right fit for where they're at and what they need. He was a guy I thought they could have dealt for last year instead of signing Myers, then I thought about the asking price and if it's something like Boeser+ it's not worth it. They're defensive play really needs to be fixed before they can take the next step as a team.

I read this article around that time and it mentions a 2nd line center and Horvat obviously would be a no go.
https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/ ... inen-where
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:11 pm
SKYO wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:14 pm Or what about this Dustin Byfuglien guy? 35yrs old, is he an actual UFA? does anyone know, 3 years of the beast would be nice.
Yes he's a UFA, but I feel Buffy is done physically and mentally with hockey...

:P
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:16 am I did hear it on good authority last summer that Benning was close to acquiring Risto...(Faro, YT lounge lizard)
Seriously? That's not the type of player I want them to add at this point. They need to tighten things up on defense and I'd prefer it be someone who's more abrasive too.
Ya, agree. The pluses don't outweigh the minuses. Maybe a little too much personality as well. Not that a little elan isn't cool but his just
seems rehearsed.
Two more years at 5.4? No thanks. He gets caught too much.
We have Olli.
"evolution"
Curmudgeon
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Curmudgeon »

Micky wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:42 pm
Ya, agree. The pluses don't outweigh the minuses. Maybe a little too much personality as well. Not that a little elan isn't cool but his just
seems rehearsed.
Two more years at 5.4? No thanks. He gets caught too much.
We have Olli.
I can't comment on the guy's personality but wonder how much he'd be wanting on his next deal. I'd be surprised if the Sabres just gave him away, they have top 6 holes to fill at forward and he's the best piece they can dangle to fill one.
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

I love how much play you got from this! LOL - People from, and who work in Faro are all suffering from Mine-Tailings-itis. Too much drinking of the "funny water"

It would be special for a rumor to come true out of that place and not be from Cyprus Anvil.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Article from one year ago.

Canucks have trade interest in one of Buffalo's defencemen: report
Rob Williams / Jun 18 2019, 9:57 pm
Rick Dhaliwal@DhaliwalSports
Source : #Canucks seem to be talking with Buffalo about a defenseman, not sure if its Rasmus Ristolainen or Zach Bogosian.
9:23 AM · Jun 18, 2019
Rob Williams;
Ristolainen’s critics – of which the analytics community is one – will point to his spotty defensive play. He finished with the second-worst Corsi-for percentage among Sabres regulars on defence, not to mention the worst plus-minus in the entire league.
One was enough.
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

As for Corsi, you have to take it with a grain of salt, due to the horrendous team that Buffalo has built, combine that with bad goaltending & your metrics will be worse.

Even the high-end corsi guy Colin Miller after getting traded from Vegas went from 62%, 59%, 59% to 50% with the sabres on cf% evens.

Now if you really want to get tripped out, check out corsi CF% 5v5:
Chris Tanev:
2018 47.3%
2019 44.2%
2020 45.2%

vs

Risto:
2018 48.5%
2019 47.8%
2020 46.6%
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:51 am As for Corsi, you have to take it with a grain of salt, due to the horrendous team that Buffalo has built.

Even the high-end corsi guy Colin Miller after getting traded from Vegas went from 62%, 59%, 59% to 50% with the sabres on cf% evens.

Chris Tanev:
2018 47.3%
2019 44.2%
2020 45.2%

vs

Risto:
2018 48.5%
2019 47.8%
2020 46.6%
I don’t pretend to follow those fancy stats that much. But quality of competition is one thing to keep in mind along with the trusty eye test.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:56 am
SKYO wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:51 am As for Corsi, you have to take it with a grain of salt, due to the horrendous team that Buffalo has built.

Chris Tanev:
2018 47.3%
2019 44.2%
2020 45.2%

vs

Risto:
2018 48.5%
2019 47.8%
2020 46.6%
I don’t pretend to follow those fancy stats that much. But quality of competition is one thing to keep in mind along with the trusty eye test.
Quality of competition was pretty similar risto played top minutes
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Did he? I didn’t bother to look it up. He’s not a bad player from my limited viewings of him but I’m not giving Virtanen up for him. If Jake has to be dealt I’d prefer a picks only deal. If they are bound and determined to take the big ticket off of Buffalo’s hands, they need to send some of the deadweight out as part of the deal.

11.4 million combined for Myers and Risto. No thanks
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

JelloPuddingPop wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:21 am
I love how much play you got from this! LOL - People from, and who work in Faro are all suffering from Mine-Tailings-itis. Too much drinking of the "funny water"

It would be special for a rumor to come true out of that place and not be from Cyprus Anvil.
Oh fuck i know. It was a huge bar tab piss up too. I got in pretty good shit when i submitted the receipt for one 500 dollar dinner LOL.
"Ya but...it was a potential client..."
-hung to fuck for a week Wiz

Dude sure seemed convincing to old swillie McWiz that fine evening
If you need air...call it in
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:25 am Did he? I didn’t bother to look it up. He’s not a bad player from my limited viewings of him but I’m not giving Virtanen up for him. If Jake has to be dealt I’d prefer a picks only deal. If they are bound and determined to take the big ticket off of Buffalo’s hands, they need to send some of the deadweight out as part of the deal.

They would definitely need to send something back salary wise. Risto I think is pretty similar to Tyler, a decent second pairing guy. I still think barry is coming home for cheap....
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:07 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:25 am Did he? I didn’t bother to look it up. He’s not a bad player from my limited viewings of him but I’m not giving Virtanen up for him. If Jake has to be dealt I’d prefer a picks only deal. If they are bound and determined to take the big ticket off of Buffalo’s hands, they need to send some of the deadweight out as part of the deal.

They would definitely need to send something back salary wise. Risto I think is pretty similar to Tyler, a decent second pairing guy. I still think barry is coming home for cheap....
Cheap being likely around $6M x 5 or 6 years for the 5'10 190lbs RD Barrie, at least we won't have to give up assets to acquire him and he'll add another sniper to the D-corps.

Edler-Barrie
Hughes-Myers

Would be a solid top 4 D.

Juolevi, Rafferty, Tryamkin, Stecher.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

SKYO wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:13 pm

Cheap being likely around $6M x 5 or 6 years for the 5'10 190lbs RD Barrie, at least we won't have to give up assets to acquire him and he'll add another sniper to the D-corps.

Edler-Barrie
Hughes-Myers

So Tanev would be gone?
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

rats19 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:24 pm
SKYO wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:13 pm

Edler-Barrie
Hughes-Myers

So Tanev would be gone?
Yes, adios muchachos, his money/cap/roster spot goes to Barrie.

Tanev goes back to his motherland in Toronto or some other team, likely getting $5M x 4 or 5 years in the free market.