Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:16 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:10 am Doyles, the Devils will be a losing culture for a very long time. That doesn’t fly anymore. Look at how the losing culture has affected Eichel.
So teams that are out of the playoff race should just keep all their veteran players and never trade them for picks and/or prospects? Brilliant strategy right here.
The Devils are on their way to quite possibly their 3rd first overall in the last 4 drafts. They will be in contention for top 3 picks for at least the next 5 years. How is that healthy?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

How in the fuck can you predict the next five years +?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

So you think a team full of millennials and teenagers will change that?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I don’t know. You seem to know already that they’ll suck for at lest the next five years. I would trade Palmieri and Vatanen for 1sts. The team is awful with them. Take a blowtorch to this thing and pick five times in the first round in a great draft. Bring in vets on two and three year deals on July 1st. They’ve got a few decent young pieces now but you can’t build a team around 29 year old veterans. What they are doing right now is smart. YOU are the only person I’ve seen pan this trade.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

That sounds awfully similar the decade in Edmonton prior to McDavid. I say “good luck with that”. #buffalosabres #Eichelnothappy
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Or maybe Chicago or Pittsburgh
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

The Devils should have been well-placed for a rebuild when they smoked the draft lottery and jumped up four spots(and jumping over the Canucks) to get Hirschier first overall.

Instead of lotto luck, Benning had to settle for Petersson.

Which goes to show the folly of tanking for a top pick -first of all, tanking doesn't really work in the lotto system, and second, you still have to pick the right player.

New Jersey is clearly the poster child for failed rebuilds this decade, following buffalo, Toronto, and Edmonton. But, if they can swing five 1st rounders this draft, they may be a very good team in 3-5 years. Or, they could use the 1sts to acquire valuable pieces to accelerate the rebuild. This is likely the wiser move, given the Devils' mediocre record at drafting.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

It’s not really tanking when your team already sucks. Getting rid of older players for high picks and good prospects who will surely leave for greener pastures when they hit UFA is simple asset management. Not shocking really that the Chef can’t grasp this. I haven’t ever said that New Jersey was a great drafting team. The Hischier pick hasn’t turned out great so far but he’s a legit top six forward if nothing else. Obviously not a good pick at #1 but teams make mistakes. They have fired the manager who made the pick. It’s way too soon to call Jack Hughes a blunder. The kid is 18 years old for fuck sakes.

One person has panned this trade. One. Any analyst I’ve heard has said it’s a good deal for the Devils. Haven’t read anything online criticizing the deal from a Devils POV other than from a miserable middle aged man living in North Van.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:35 am
One person has panned this trade. One. Any analyst I’ve heard has said it’s a good deal for the Devils. Haven’t read anything online criticizing the deal from a Devils POV other than from a miserable middle aged man living in North Van.
For sure its a great deal for the Devils, by the time they're contending Coleman will be easily replaced. But they need a deal like a 1st-for-JT Miller, they have the high-end forwards in the pipeline, but I agree with the Dude that they need to add help-now pieces, desperately.

Maybe JT plus a first for Jack? :lol:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:56 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:35 am
For sure its a great deal for the Devils, by the time they're contending Coleman will be easily replaced. But they need a deal like a 1st-for-JT Miller, they have the high-end forwards in the pipeline, but I agree with the Dude that they need to add help-now pieces, desperately.

Maybe JT plus a first for Jack? :lol:
I’d say there a year or two out from bringing some younger veteran players like a Miller type. I’d say the Devils are a year or two behind the Canucks in their rebuild as we speak. As usual the Chef is out to lunch.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Stanley Cup History has proven you only need 2-3 elite players from drafting high at the most. Penguins (Crosby, Malkin), Chicago Toews, Kane), Washington (Ovechkin, Backstrom). Sometimes only 1 like St. Louis (Petrangelo) and LA (Doughty). The rest comes from timely good trades and signings and good drafting in the later rounds. According to stats, Hischier and Jack Hughes should be enough. Teams must be careful, the losing culture like in Buffalo is no good, does more harm than good. The Devils seem to be aligning themselves with a long term tank, it’s fools gold!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Sigh..... no the Devils are in the infancy of a rebuild and are stockpiling picks and prospects after they mistakingly thought they were going to have a competitive team this season. It’s asset management.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:21 pm Sigh..... no the Devils are in the infancy of a rebuild and are stockpiling picks and prospects after they mistakingly thought they were going to have a competitive team this season. It’s asset management.
In other words, the Devils will be bottom feeders in the standings for a long time like in Buffalo. #Eichelistiredoflosing
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:13 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:21 pm Sigh..... no the Devils are in the infancy of a rebuild and are stockpiling picks and prospects after they mistakingly thought they were going to have a competitive team this season. It’s asset management.
In other words, the Devils will be bottom feeders in the standings for a long time like in Buffalo. #Eichelistiredoflosing
I have no idea how their team will turn out. I was attempting to converse with you about the trade(s) they the Devils made but that clearly was a waste of time. :lol:
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:52 pm Stanley Cup History has proven you only need 2-3 elite players from drafting high at the most. Penguins (Crosby, Malkin), Chicago Toews, Kane), Washington (Ovechkin, Backstrom). Sometimes only 1 like St. Louis (Petrangelo) and LA (Doughty). The rest comes from timely good trades and signings and good drafting in the later rounds. According to stats, Hischier and Jack Hughes should be enough. Teams must be careful, the losing culture like in Buffalo is no good, does more harm than good. The Devils seem to be aligning themselves with a long term tank, it’s fools gold!
I think Kopitar is pretty elite.... So was Keith and Carlson. Tarasenko is pretty damn good. So was Seabrook. And Oshie. And Kuznetzov.

Nit picks aside, I agree with you. Losing culture is bad, and it takes more than having high draft picks to draft your way out of a hole. Obviously, you got to draft the right guys and develop them the right way, and there are very few players who come in totally ready to go. And none that can't improve.

Of course your chances are better with high picks instead of low picks or no picks, but you can build a team in other ways by turning your aging assets or picks into already-drafted assets. That WCE team wasn't quite elite, but it was pretty damn good. Nearly all the top players were acquired by trade. (Naslund the failed prospect for another failed prospect; Morrison for aging asset; Bert for aging assets; Jovo for aging asset; Salo for redundant forward; Cloutier for draft picks; Linden for picks). The only important guys on that team who were drafted were the Ohlund, the Sedins (who played a secondary role (and one of whom was basically acquired for a young prospect at a position deep with prospects and young guys), Sopel, and Cooke. And of those, only Ohlund was really really good during the WCE peak (2001-2003). [Sedins were quite good by 2003-2004, but finding their way before that].
Hono_rary Canadian