Offseason grades so far

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Offseason grades so far

Post by Hockey Widow »

Nuckertuzzi wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:10 am
Uncle dans leg wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:05 pm I would say last years coming out of nowhere for EP, the year before Brock lighting it up and Hughes impressive 5 games was your hint at whats coming.

But where's the hint of team progression, moving up 3 spots near the bottom of the Standings? If we made a jump like the Habs did and just missed the playoffs, that's the type of hint I'm talking about. Yet not sure I'd be comfortable risking first rounders if I was them either where they're at in development.
I don’t think anyone is happy that we gave up a first. But keep in mind that if the team is not a playoff team next season, we keep our first. So we inevitably get one more lottery pick to rebuild with. Of course then 2021 pick won’t be lottery protected but we gotta be in the playoffs by then right?

Benning also has time to try and recover that pick somehow. There’s not a lot we have that’s worth a first that isn’t a player we don’t want to trade. But who knows what can happen in two years.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:59 am
Nuckertuzzi wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:10 am
Uncle dans leg wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:05 pm I would say last years coming out of nowhere for EP, the year before Brock lighting it up and Hughes impressive 5 games was your hint at whats coming.

But where's the hint of team progression, moving up 3 spots near the bottom of the Standings? If we made a jump like the Habs did and just missed the playoffs, that's the type of hint I'm talking about. Yet not sure I'd be comfortable risking first rounders if I was them either where they're at in development.
I don’t think anyone is happy that we gave up a first. But keep in mind that if the team is not a playoff team next season, we keep our first. So we inevitably get one more lottery pick to rebuild with. Of course then 2021 pick won’t be lottery protected but we gotta be in the playoffs by then right?

Benning also has time to try and recover that pick somehow. There’s not a lot we have that’s worth a first that isn’t a player we don’t want to trade. But who knows what can happen in two years.
With Elmer drafting I'd be quite comfortable with him simply getting a pick in the top 10 of round 2. Once we're a playoff team we are picking no higher than 15, it's not that much of a gut punch to go from picking once at 15 and once at 45, to go to picking twice between 35-50.

I'm just spit-balling here, but I'm of the opinion that Tanev should still return a 2nd rounder and a prospect at this point.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Mëds wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:19 am I'm just spit-balling here, but I'm of the opinion that Tanev should still return a 2nd rounder and a prospect at this point.
The idea was to add depth, trading Tanev now doesn't make sense, particularly as Myers isn't the same type of player and Benn can't handle those kind of minutes. As for next season, if we're near a playoff spot, we're not trading Tanev.

Edler - Tanev
Hughes - Myers
Benn - Stetcher
Biega - Fantenberg
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Giving up Tanev for picks or prospects reduces the chances for making the playoffs, so I can’t see it happening unless the Canucks fall out of the race by the TDL. He is a UFA after this year and might be equivalent to a rental this year if Woo or Rafferty look ready to replace him next season. Not resigning him and replacing him with one of those prospects next year would create about 4m in cap space to pay all the bonuses Hughes and Pettersson are hopefully going to earn this year. But the season needs to play out to see what decisions will be made. I don’t see him being traded this summer. My guess is nothing else happens this summer except Brock getting resigned.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:40 am
Mëds wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:19 am I'm just spit-balling here, but I'm of the opinion that Tanev should still return a 2nd rounder and a prospect at this point.
The idea was to add depth, trading Tanev now doesn't make sense, particularly as Myers isn't the same type of player and Benn can't handle those kind of minutes. As for next season, if we're near a playoff spot, we're not trading Tanev.

Edler - Tanev
Hughes - Myers
Benn - Stetcher
Biega - Fantenberg
There’s some talk that if they can move tanev, they’d bring Hutton back and move benn to the right side (supposedly he plays better on his off side).
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:59 am

For the record I do not have a problem with the trade but HW - JB has only received 1 - 1st round (courtesy of Gillis) in the Kesler trade in 2014. I do not believe the Canucks will get a 1st round pick back in any trade in the coming years, we have nothing we want (or afford) to send to obtain a 1st back so I am not sure where he can replace the pick sent.

Edit - just noticed you said a similar thing, frack first it is my typing now my reading comprehension is going. Whats next, I may be sitting with RD drinking out of a paper bag on Hastings street.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:01 am
There’s some talk that if they can move tanev, they’d bring Hutton back and move benn to the right side (supposedly he plays better on his off side).
I know many say stats are for losers, but Htton; http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... pid=141927
Is worth about 800k per year. Tanev is actually only roughly 3 years older. He doesn't have shit for point totals either
but now that the team has added much needed skill, toughness and point production, (Hughes / Myers>hopefully), I have now switched
my opinion on Tanev. Keep him. Maybe after a successful season, (fingers crossed), even resign him at a lower price if he wants
to stay here.
Hutton is a nice guy, most team mates appear to like him but he doesn't play tough enough and cannot stop making bad defensive
decisions.
"evolution"
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Edler - Tanev
Hughes - Myers
Benn - Stetcher
Biega - Fantenberg
Either way, that would make us a worse team, so if the goal is playoffs I'm not sure why they'd do that. Benn and Hutton are bottom-pairing guys. Tanev is a legit top-4, and capable of being the defensive partner on a top pairing.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The only knock on Tanev is his durability, or lack there of. Chances are by the TDD he will be on IR. He is our best shot blocker and a key shut down guy. Forget offence, it isn’t his game.

At this juncture we are better defensively with him but to go off script about making the playoffs, if we could get a decent return for the guy this summer, I say take the picks or assets. Yes it means we need to locate another righty but as pointed out Benn can play the right and we have a Juolevi waiting for his shot. Although two rookie D?

Bringing Hutton back for a reasonable hit isn’t the worst idea. He played quite well for us last year. Ya some brain farts but he held up admirably throughout all those injuries.
The only HW the Canucks need
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I'm surprised B-Hutt hasn't signed with anyone yet. Maybe he wants to come back here so badly that he's waiting to see what happens on the Tan-man front. Generally guys who are passed over after July 1st pretty much lose all negotiating power. Hutty can probably be had for cheap now, kind of like when we picked up Vanek.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Island Nucklehead wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:43 am

Edler - Tanev
Hughes - Myers
Benn - Stetcher
Biega - Fantenberg
Either way, that would make us a worse team, so if the goal is playoffs I'm not sure why they'd do that. Benn and Hutton are bottom-pairing guys. Tanev is a legit top-4, and capable of being the defensive partner on a top pairing.
Tanev’s fancy stats last year were that of a bottom pairing guy as well, I’m hoping he’d have a resurgence playing with Hughes, but if you could get something for him ie a first round pick, and then sign Hutton for under 2 million a year I don’t think the difference in Hutton and tanev is that great (at least with how tanev played last year). The cap savings and the extra first would make it worthwhile and I don’t think the on ice production would be substantially different. Now if offers are garbage, keep him and hope he rebounds.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:21 am The only knock on Tanev is his durability, or lack there of. Chances are by the TDD he will be on IR. He is our best shot blocker and a key shut down guy. Forget offence, it isn’t his game.

At this juncture we are better defensively with him but to go off script about making the playoffs, if we could get a decent return for the guy this summer, I say take the picks or assets. Yes it means we need to locate another righty but as pointed out Benn can play the right and we have a Juolevi waiting for his shot. Although two rookie D?

Bringing Hutton back for a reasonable hit isn’t the worst idea. He played quite well for us last year. Ya some brain farts but he held up admirably throughout all those injuries.
My thoughts exactly, also Hutton has been quite durable. Plus he’s a bigger body. Would all depend on what the return on tanev is.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

"evolution"
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Richardstroker69 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:42 am
Island Nucklehead wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:43 am

Edler - Tanev
Hughes - Myers
Benn - Stetcher
Biega - Fantenberg
Tanev’s fancy stats last year were that of a bottom pairing guy as well, I’m hoping he’d have a resurgence playing with Hughes, but if you could get something for him ie a first round pick, and then sign Hutton for under 2 million a year I don’t think the difference in Hutton and tanev is that great (at least with how tanev played last year). The cap savings and the extra first would make it worthwhile and I don’t think the on ice production would be substantially different. Now if offers are garbage, keep him and hope he rebounds.
As a defensive d-man facing the toughest match-ups on a dumpster fire hockey club, shouldn't we expect his fancy stats to be fairly hurting?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

If the intent is playoffs you absolutely keep Tanev. He won’t return a 1st now. If they are a half dozen points out at the deadline then they would be retarded not to take the best offer they can get.

Hutton was also strapped to one of the worst D men in the league a lot of the past couple of seasons. Everyone has shittier numbers playing with Erik Gudbranson.
Last edited by Blob Mckenzie on Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”