Offseason grades so far

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Post Reply
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1516
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:48 am

Offseason grades so far

Post by Diehard1 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:34 pm

With the caveat that there’s still lots of time to make extra moves, my thoughts on what Jimbo et al have down so far:

Draft - B+ - this would have likely been an A had they not traded away their 3rd rounder. Podz was a good, risky pick at 10. He wasn’t what I expected but then again I didn’t think Jimbo would go for a Russian. Kudos to him for having some balls. Hoglander was a great pick and I see him being a top 6 forward here for years to come, top 9 at worst. Keppen has potential in the 4th round. The rest of them were all over the map but seemed like decent swings at potential. No D drafted is a bit concerning though Jimbo is right to point out they’ve spent a lot of time and money there lately in both the draft and FA.

Trades - C - Miller was an overpayment, especially when seeing what guys like Colin Miller got in return. I like the player but would have preferred Nyqvist for nothing but dollars and keeping the 1st and 3rd - he wanted to come here too to play with Petey, so it could have happened. Miller is a bit younger but the contract and production is basically the same and you keep the assets. The Francis Perron deal has the potential to produce some NHL depth but it’s not enough to move the needle.

Free Agency - B+ - like Myers signing is fine, ya it’s too much money and probably a year too long, but I don’t think it’s going to be a Loui-esque killer contract. The Benn contract is a good one for a versatile depth defender. The Fantenburg deal is whatever, depth signing. The goalie and Graovac are for Utica. Myers is a B signing, Benn an A so the grade is right in between.

Re-signings - A - the Edler contract is a no brainer at good term and dollars.

RFA signings - incomplete - Boeser, Goldy, Leivo, Boucher, Perron, Teves and Rafferty all need new deals. None signed yet but the big one is Brock and hopefully Jimbo gets him signed to a nice long term deal. Update - Motte signed for 1 year and $925k which is right about what was expected.

Overall to date - a solid B+. The draft was good, the Miller trade was an overpayment even if he’s a nice player that will fit in well. The UFA signings were better than expected both in term and dollars spent. The RFA signings are still to come. If Jimbo signs them all he has 16 forwards and 12 D on the roster so Utica should have some good players and there’s room to move out some bodies, I will update this later in the summer as it’s likely we won’t see much else happen for the next month or two.
Last edited by Diehard1 on Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 14610
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Offseason grades so far

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:47 am

I’ve heard Nyquist wanted to play here. His production is right around the same as Miller’s if you calculate PPG, though Miller is four years younger, a lot bigger and more physical. If you made me pick one of the two I’d go with Miller by a hair, but this team could actually use both players. The sticker price for Miller was just too much. I’d have preferred if Benning actually negotiated instead of just coughing up what Brisebois wanted. If Benning was playing poker he would probably have his cards facing out.
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 14881
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Offseason grades so far

Post by Hockey Widow » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:59 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:47 am
I’ve heard Nyquist wanted to play here. His production is right around the same as Miller’s if you calculate PPG, though Miller is four years younger, a lot bigger and more physical. If you made me pick one of the two I’d go with Miller by a hair, but this team could actually use both players. The sticker price for Miller was just too much. I’d have preferred if Benning actually negotiated instead of just coughing up what Brisebois wanted. If Benning was playing poker he would probably have his cards facing out.
Nyquist was interested in playing here. He was asked if he’d consider waiting for the summer to unfold but obviously had to protect his financial interest.
The only HW the Canucks need

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1516
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:48 am

Re: Offseason grades so far

Post by Diehard1 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:28 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:59 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:47 am
I’ve heard Nyquist wanted to play here. His production is right around the same as Miller’s if you calculate PPG, though Miller is four years younger, a lot bigger and more physical. If you made me pick one of the two I’d go with Miller by a hair, but this team could actually use both players. The sticker price for Miller was just too much. I’d have preferred if Benning actually negotiated instead of just coughing up what Brisebois wanted. If Benning was playing poker he would probably have his cards facing out.
Nyquist was interested in playing here. He was asked if he’d consider waiting for the summer to unfold but obviously had to protect his financial interest.
Yep the hockey media here reported the same thing. Would have been a solid signing and another badly needed top 6 forward at the cost of only dollars/cap space.

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1516
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:48 am

Re: Offseason grades so far

Post by Diehard1 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:30 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:47 am
I’ve heard Nyquist wanted to play here. His production is right around the same as Miller’s if you calculate PPG, though Miller is four years younger, a lot bigger and more physical. If you made me pick one of the two I’d go with Miller by a hair, but this team could actually use both players. The sticker price for Miller was just too much. I’d have preferred if Benning actually negotiated instead of just coughing up what Brisebois wanted. If Benning was playing poker he would probably have his cards facing out.
It's Jimbo, he's not a good poker player as his record clearly shows. Too bad as it would have been nice to have Nyqvist instead of JT Miller at the cost of a 1st and 3rd rounder. Between the two of them it's very close especially since Miller's ability to play C isn't all that valuable with Petey, Bo, Sutter, Gaudette and Beagle in place already. The overpayment is the big reason why Jimbo gets a C on the trade part of this summer.

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 20364
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Offseason grades so far

Post by Strangelove » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:33 pm

Diehard1 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:30 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:47 am
I’ve heard Nyquist wanted to play here. His production is right around the same as Miller’s if you calculate PPG, though Miller is four years younger, a lot bigger and more physical. If you made me pick one of the two I’d go with Miller by a hair, but this team could actually use both players. The sticker price for Miller was just too much. I’d have preferred if Benning actually negotiated instead of just coughing up what Brisebois wanted. If Benning was playing poker he would probably have his cards facing out.
It's Jimbo, he's not a good poker player as his record clearly shows. Too bad as it would have been nice to have Nyqvist instead of JT Miller at the cost of a 1st and 3rd rounder. Between the two of them it's very close especially since Miller's ability to play C isn't all that valuable with Petey, Bo, Sutter, Gaudette and Beagle in place already. The overpayment is the big reason why Jimbo gets a C on the trade part of this summer.
OOPS... Benning Basher thread.

Image
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3022
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:54 am
Location: Saskatoon, Sk.

Re: Offseason grades so far

Post by Madcombinepilot » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:40 pm

Diehard1 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:30 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:47 am
I’ve heard Nyquist wanted to play here. His production is right around the same as Miller’s if you calculate PPG, though Miller is four years younger, a lot bigger and more physical. If you made me pick one of the two I’d go with Miller by a hair, but this team could actually use both players. The sticker price for Miller was just too much. I’d have preferred if Benning actually negotiated instead of just coughing up what Brisebois wanted. If Benning was playing poker he would probably have his cards facing out.
It's Jimbo, he's not a good poker player as his record clearly shows. Too bad as it would have been nice to have Nyqvist instead of JT Miller at the cost of a 1st and 3rd rounder. Between the two of them it's very close especially since Miller's ability to play C isn't all that valuable with Petey, Bo, Sutter, Gaudette and Beagle in place already. The overpayment is the big reason why Jimbo gets a C on the trade part of this summer.
not to sure if everyone is valuing the pick the same way.. when you see what a 2nd and 3rd have gotten some other teams, a 1st and a 3rd for a top 6 guy who gets 20 goals and 50 points and only costs 5.25/year for 4 years is a fair price.. not a deal or a steal, just fair.

Now, If Miller shits the bed and only get 10 goals and 35 points, then we paid too much. Too early to call it one way or the other, but not a huge risk either way.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 14610
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Offseason grades so far

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:59 pm

It is a huge risk in that it could end up being a lottery pick

Again, Miller made some sense as a target, but I would have liked him at a cheaper price. It’s pretty funny when Elmer himself said the prices for players from cap strapped teams will go down AFTER the draft. He proceeds to overpay AT the draft. Bizarre really.
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

User avatar
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3022
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:54 am
Location: Saskatoon, Sk.

Re: Offseason grades so far

Post by Madcombinepilot » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:06 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:59 pm
It is a huge risk in that it could end up being a lottery pick

Again, Miller made some sense as a target, but I would have liked him at a cheaper price. It’s pretty funny when Elmer himself said the prices for players from cap strapped teams will go down AFTER the draft. He proceeds to overpay AT the draft. Bizarre really.
Unless he figured Miller would be gone by now.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 20364
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Offseason grades so far

Post by Strangelove » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:21 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:59 pm
It is a huge risk in that it could end up being a lottery pick

Again, Miller made some sense as a target, but I would have liked him at a cheaper price.
It's all in your mind Blob, every price seems high when you don't trust the GM.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Uncle dans leg
CC Legend
Posts: 7013
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: Offseason grades so far

Post by Uncle dans leg » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:23 pm

Madcombinepilot wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:06 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:59 pm
It is a huge risk in that it could end up being a lottery pick

Again, Miller made some sense as a target, but I would have liked him at a cheaper price. It’s pretty funny when Elmer himself said the prices for players from cap strapped teams will go down AFTER the draft. He proceeds to overpay AT the draft. Bizarre really.
Unless he figured Miller would be gone by now.
Good point. 215 lb winger who can skate and score are becoming increasingly rare lately. In fact, if you notice...all the recently acquired pieces have good size and mobility in common including podz.

Theres dedinitely a plan in play to insulate our skilled smurfs I'd say
nobody focks...with the jesus

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 20364
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Offseason grades so far

Post by Strangelove » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:26 pm

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:23 pm
Theres dedinitely a plan in play to insulate our skilled smurfs I'd say
Jungle Jim has said as much in interviews.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Uncle dans leg
CC Legend
Posts: 7013
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: Offseason grades so far

Post by Uncle dans leg » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:28 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:26 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:23 pm
Theres dedinitely a plan in play to insulate our skilled smurfs I'd say
Jungle Jim has said as much in interviews.
Well then...i rest my case of beer. :mex:
nobody focks...with the jesus

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1516
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:48 am

Re: Offseason grades so far

Post by Diehard1 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:20 pm

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:28 pm
Strangelove wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:26 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:23 pm
Theres dedinitely a plan in play to insulate our skilled smurfs I'd say
Jungle Jim has said as much in interviews.
Well then...i rest my case of beer. :mex:
I think that’s the issue many of us have - the size and high motor players is fine with me but it’s another change. Last year it was speed and skill Jimbo kept talking about while this year it’s all about try and high motor. The year before that it was a rebuild (finally), while the year before that it was making the playoffs.

It would be great if Jimbo could come out and articulate exactly what he’s working towards because in year 6 of his tenure he should be able to do that by now.

User avatar
Uncle dans leg
CC Legend
Posts: 7013
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: Offseason grades so far

Post by Uncle dans leg » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:26 pm

Its been depth-skill-size the past 3 years as far as i can see and thats basically when his direction changed to a more conventional and accepted course plot.

His interviews dont seem to get much analysis in my opinion but these are where he seems to draw out his plans....see above.
nobody focks...with the jesus

Post Reply