How did Jimmy do

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

How did GMJB do on day 1 of FA

A
19%
B+
38%
B
38%
C
No votes
D
4%
Fail
No votes

Total votes: 26

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: How did Jimmy do

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:36 pm
Diehard1 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:44 am
micky107 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:07 am B+ one top six winger short. fuck recapture.
Agreed, fuck recapture, but Jimbo has known this is a possibility for as long as he’s been here in Van. Not hard to budget for it if you can see it coming from a mile away. It’s not a valid excuse.
Except Jimmy DID budget for it and Recap penalty IS an "excuse" (these guys usually go LTIR).
Yeah, no question about it so far this year Doc. Jimmy is playing his cards much smarter this time around, and considering that we are 1 year removed from Linden's departure, this is essentially Elmer's second kick at the the off-season can.....there seems to be more of a plan in place. Restraint t may have been forced upon him by Luongo's recapture penalty, and it also probably has something to do with Eriksson going off like a grenade in his lap, but there's a pretty clear structure emerging from the contract lengths.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:45 pm Maybe they wouldve gone farther in the playoffs if TM got the prime minutes. ;)
Or if they were to have balanced their lineup by trading one of their 3 star RHD for help elsewhere?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:28 pm
Mëds wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:20 pm It's not bullshit from Benning bashers.

Myers was 3rd pairing for much of the year in Winnipeg.....a good team with a deep blueline.

I don't base my arguments on just minutes played.
Okay I guess a person could say he's the 3rd best RHD on a team with a ridiculous abundance of star RHDs

... if one looked it at through just that peculiar lens.

And that... by that silly metric he's a 3rd pairing guy on a ridiculously unbalanced NHL team in the modern era.

But the person saying that would have to be some kind of a twisted contortionist in my humble opinion.

I was responding to you simply stating "he's a 3rd pairing guy on a good team".

Well you couldn't be more wrong if you were caught with a gerbil up yo ass.
No I think the gerbil up the ass would still be more wrong..... :lol:
I think it's just super duper awesome that you "don't base your arguments on just minutes played"!

Good for you Meddy... GOOD FOR YOU!! :thumbs:

But in saying "just minutes played" you are inferring said minutes played are indeed a factor.

I submit that when one considers ALL the factors...

... unbalanced team

... three star right hand defencemen

... minutes played by Mr Myers in that particular situation

... minutes played by Mr Myers in other situations throughout his career

... that any right-thinking non-contortionist would come to the inescapable conclusion

... that Mr Myers is a top-4 defenseman on a good team.

Good day sir.
It's interesting that you want to talk about a player according to minutes played, and also use the word contortionist.....

YOUR argument for the past several years was that Erik Gudbranson was a top-4 defenseman.

YOUR argument was predicated on the minutes played in his last season (or two?) in Florida, and then here in Vancouver.

BUT.....

When traded to a good team, albeit one with only an average blueline, Mr. Gudbranson became the 7th man on the depth chart in terms of minutes played for the Penguins when both Maata and Letang were healthy.

He bumped up to 5th in the playoffs, but his numbers actually dropped by close to 3 minutes per game.....

But he's clearly a top-4 guy.

But hey.....fill your boots.

Good day to you too sir. :)
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I'm reading those posts in Jeremy Bretts voice from the 80s sherlock holmes series on pbs
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:59 pm I'm reading those posts in Jeremy Bretts voice from the 80s sherlock holmes series on pbs
THAT'S PERFECT
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:41 pm Good day to you too sir. :)
Thanks for coming out sir. :)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

:lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Mëds wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:30 pm

Yeah, no question about it so far this year Doc. Jimmy is playing his cards much smarter this time around
Someone either turned his chair or his cards. He’s lucky to have patient owners even if they are dumb. It would be a Houdini like feat if he is still the GM of this team in two years.... either that or Aquilini has arms longer than Doc.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doc. How do you explain a mad hatter fan like Blobbee who on one hand gets belligerent over Benning trading picks for Miller saying he could have saved the picks and signed a UFA forward. And then on the other hand gets bat shit crazy for signing UFA Myers instead of trading picks for a top 4 D-man?

It’s bananas.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:20 am Doc. How do you explain a mad hatter fan like Blobbee who on one hand gets belligerent over Benning trading picks for Miller saying he could have saved the picks and signed a UFA forward. And then on the other hand gets bat shit crazy for signing UFA Myers instead of trading picks for a top 4 D-man?

It’s bananas.
It’s called asset management. I’m guessing a drywaller from a North Van just doesn’t get it.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

So you’d be happier swapping 10th overall for a 16th overall, Virtanen and the 2020 1st round pick unprotected for Barrie and signing Nyqvist instead of Myers and Miller?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:26 am So you’d be happier swapping 10th overall for a 16th overall, Virtanen and the 2020 1st round pick unprotected for Barrie and signing Nyqvist instead of Myers and Miller?
I didn’t say that and I don’t think that was the price for Barrie seeing as he was just dealt for Kadri. Maybe it was the opening ask from Sakic seeing as how most GMs like to powerfuck Elmer.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

That was the rumoured price for Barrie, who is a UFA next summer. Benning got wise to ole Joe Sakic Way. Benning took the next left to get to Burnaby 8 Rinks and stopped at the Myer hot dog stand on the way
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:35 am That was the rumoured price for Barrie, who is a UFA next summer. Benning got wise to ole Joe Sakic Way. Benning took the next left to get to Burnaby 8 Rinks and stopped at the Myer hot dog stand on the way
And yet he was traded for substantially less. Did you hear this rumour while stumbling around the DTES on a cocaine fuelled bender?