Canucks 2019-2020 line-up

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dangler
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks 2019-2020 line-up

Post by dangler »

Mëds wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:04 am If Bender is going after 2 dmen I’ll bet he wants Gardiner and Myers and trades Stecher and lets Hutton walk

Edler Tanev
Gardiner Myers
Hughes Schenn
Edler and/or Tanev will only play a half season due to injuries, so i doubt they trade Stetcher unless the deal is too sweet to pass on.

Edler/ Tanev
New guy/ Stetcher
Hughes/Schenn

Olli/Biegga
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

I have a feeling that Tanev will be gone before camp, wouldn't be surprised if he is packaged with Virtanen to bring in some substantial D help.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:01 am Miller Pettersson Boeser
Pearson Horvat Virtanen
Baertschi Sutter Leivo
Motte Beagle Roussel

Hopefully gonzo

Granlund
Schaller
Spooner
Eriksson

On the farm

Gaudette

Defence

Edler Tanev
Stecher Hutton
Schenn Hughes

Juolevi on the farm
I'd rather have Gralund in the lineup than Leivo.

I'd rather have Baertschi or Goldobin than Virtanen in the top 6.

You forgot Goldobin. He will get one more chance if he is not moved, I think.

Schaller will be kept on as a 12/13/14. And there's nothing wrong with a NHL vet sitting in the press box instead of being placed on waivers, unless he is unliked by his teammates.
Hono_rary Canadian
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

theman wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:31 am I have a feeling that Tanev will be gone before camp, wouldn't be surprised if he is packaged with Virtanen to bring in some substantial D help.
I don't know, or heard anything about Virtanen but believe Tanev is being shopped but he does have a list.
That 4.45 million is becoming more important.
My guess is we don't see him in a Canuck jersey again.
"evolution"
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

dangler wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:10 am
Edler and/or Tanev will only play a half season due to injuries, so i doubt they trade Stetcher unless the deal is too sweet to pass on.

Edler/ Tanev
New guy/ Stetcher
Hughes/Schenn

Olli/Biegga
I've noticed the fancy-stats and HFboards people are convinced that Stecher is some stealth elite Dman, yet nobody bothers to pretend that he'll garner anything of value in a trade.

Hutton showed he can survive as the #1, 25-minute dman. He didn't thrive, and the team suffered for having him in that role, but he was at least a warm body. What's that worth? Maybe $3 million? I feel like we need a dman like that, and at least Hutton still has some upside to improve, especially after a rebound year and (hopefully) playing in a less strenuous role.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

ESQ wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:00 am Hutton showed he can survive as the #1, 25-minute dman. He didn't thrive, and the team suffered for having him in that role, but he was at least a warm body. What's that worth? Maybe $3 million? I feel like we need a dman like that, and at least Hutton still has some upside to improve, especially after a rebound year and (hopefully) playing in a less strenuous role.
No, he didn't survive. He did better than the worst case scenario, but he wasn't close to the level of an Edler or a Tanev and the team lost a lot. He was over his head; he isn't a top pairing guy and never will be. Whether he will be a quality second pairing guy who effectively runs a PP#2 (ceiling), an okay 3rd pairing option with the occasional press box stint (floor), or something in between remains to be seen. Last year he was a top 4 player on one of the bottom third defenses in the league. He was there by default, not because he was quality. (I'm not slagging him; I thought his play was much better last year, I am just trying to be objective about where he was and where he might be).

He made $2.8 million last year. He can be qualified at the same. He has arbitration rights. FMV for an RFA-arb player like Hutton is probably between $3.5 and $4 million (though I tend to think your valuation is what the Canucks should aim for). If he's at the ceiling, its a bargain; if he's at the floor, its a bad deal.
Hono_rary Canadian
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Mëds wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:35 pm
Diehard1 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:21 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:01 am Miller Pettersson Boeser
Pearson Horvat Virtanen
Baertschi Sutter Leivo
Motte Beagle Roussel

Hopefully gonzo

Granlund
Schaller
Spooner
Eriksson

On the farm

Gaudette

Defence

Edler Tanev
Stecher Hutton
Schenn Hughes

Juolevi on the farm
Looks pretty close, but that's a ton of tweener wingers to rely on. Pearson, Jake, Baertschi, Leivo, Motte, Roussel - need to hope that 3 or 4 of them have 20 goal years in order to move this team forward. No room for guys like Gaudette and MacEwan either which is not ideal.

The D still looks terrible, that's not a playoff team and it's not close. I think they need to move on from Tanev and Hutton, upgrading them both if possible. Myers on a relatively decent deal would be an upgrade, so would a few other guys that are supposedly available in trades so we will see what Jimbo does.

Supposedly Nyqvist is another target - on a relatively short deal (3 years) I'd be fine with him, he's shown he's a good scorer and could be a good winger for Bo.

Still lots of bodies to move out - lots of work to do and not many teams can take on money, so it's going to be difficult to move some guys.
Myers was barely putting a good game together in what was essentially a 5th man role for the Jets. I'm not sure why we are high on him here these days. Physically he's probably an upgrade on Tanev, but he's at best an evenly matched skater, and more prone to defensive mistakes. His ask will be at least 5 years at $6M minimum. Some idiot will give it to him too. I hope it's not Elmer.

Nyqvist will be asking $5M. He'd be too much of an Eriksson risk, and 3 years is too long for that at this stage.
Myers is very limited defensively, can't defend the blue line at all. He's likely going to be paid like a top 10 dman in the league and that contract will be an albatross the second it's inked. I like the guy at a certain number but he will almost surely surpass it - hopefully it's not a Canuck contract if that's the case. He will be the whipping boy on the team within a half a season if he comes here.

Nyqvist is still a solid scorer and probably will be until he's 33-34. Yep if you get him you probably have to go long term and he's unlikely to be good by the end of the deal, but such is life in free agency. It's very hard to get good value there especially when you insist on signing guys on day 1 of free agency as Jimbo does.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Not a fan of Nyquist. Wouldn't sign him. He had that flash in the pan thing when he first came over from Europe, but hasn't really followed it up at all.
Maybe Donskoi or Panik can be had for a lot less and a shorter term.

8M is too high for Myers. Let him look elsewhere.
My limit would be 6M x 5 for Myers.
Maybe Benn or Stralman would be more economical and require much less term to sign.
The Canucks might have to go with what they have and hope a prospect is ready.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Cherry Picker wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:35 pm Not a fan of Nyquist. Wouldn't sign him. He had that flash in the pan thing when he first came over from Europe, but hasn't really followed it up at all.

Maybe Benn or Stralman would be more economical and require much less term to sign.
No idea how the Nyqvist rumors to vancouver became a topic. It doesn't make sense.
I think our reporters that love to tweetle dee caught something from reading Wing's hockey forums where all the fans are
trying to unload Nyquist and get on with their rebuild.

Benning an Co. will be working over the next few days to find a defense man that will play in the top four.

Not saying another talented forward wont happen but I'd like to think a little younger and more fuel in the tank then Nyquist.
"evolution"
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

micky107 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:04 pm
Cherry Picker wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:35 pm Not a fan of Nyquist. Wouldn't sign him. He had that flash in the pan thing when he first came over from Europe, but hasn't really followed it up at all.

No idea how the Nyqvist rumors to vancouver became a topic. It doesn't make sense.
I think our reporters that love to tweetle dee caught something from reading Wing's hockey forums where all the fans are

Benning an Co. will be working over the next few days to find a defense man that will play in the top four.

Not saying another talented forward wont happen but I'd like to think a little younger and more fuel in the tank then Nyquist.
Rick Dhaliwal said that Jimbo was speaking with Nyqvist. Dhaliwal has been the most reliable reporter for rumours in this market for the past couple of years so I assume it's true.

I'm not sure the Wings want to unload Nyqvist given they traded him to the Sharks last deadline.

I'm fine with anybody who can score more than 15 goals and skate enough to play with Horvat. There aren't many guys like that in FA though.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Diehard1 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:15 pm
micky107 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:04 pm

Rick Dhaliwal said that Jimbo was speaking with Nyqvist. Dhaliwal has been the most reliable reporter for rumours in this market for the past couple of years so I assume it's true.

I'm not sure the Wings want to unload Nyqvist given they traded him to the Sharks last deadline.

I'm fine with anybody who can score more than 15 goals and skate enough to play with Horvat. There aren't many guys like that in FA though.
Rick Dhaliwal
@DhaliwalSports
Follow Follow @DhaliwalSports
More
I believe the #Canucks have expressed interest in F Gustav Nyquist in the UFA Interview period.
5:46 PM - 23 Jun 2019
He's a good guy and I like listening to him. This doesn't sound like anything. I saw this on dot com last night.
"evolution"
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Sounds like Hutton may not get qualified. It could make sense, he's overpaid for his role and somebody like Juolevi or a FA could take his spot for less money and likely not lose a beat.

I'd prefer to take those dollars are go after a guy to play on the 2nd line with Bo.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Diehard1 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:50 pm Sounds like Hutton may not get qualified. It could make sense, he's overpaid for his role and somebody like Juolevi or a FA could take his spot for less money and likely not lose a beat.

I'd prefer to take those dollars are go after a guy to play on the 2nd line with Bo.
I’m either way on Hutton... but shouldn’t they trade him?

Don’t tell me he has zero value?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:53 pm
Diehard1 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:50 pm Sounds like Hutton may not get qualified. It could make sense, he's overpaid for his role and somebody like Juolevi or a FA could take his spot for less money and likely not lose a beat.

Hutton would have values if his contract is manageable, definitely not with his next contract which could be somewhere between $4-4.3m. That is main reason why the Canucks not qualifying him.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

:) Has
Jovocop wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:00 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:53 pm

Hutton would have values if his contract is manageable, definitely not with his next contract which could be somewhere between $4-4.3m. That is main reason why the Canucks not qualifying him.
I totally agree he should not be making anywhere near 4 million. It might be prudent to deal him swiftly and get a pick or prospect back. No more warm bodies.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”