Canucks 2019-2020 line-up

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks 2019-2020 line-up

Post by Strangelove »

UWSaint wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:56 pm
Puck wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:46 am I'm wondering... with surplus of forwards, could Jim trade 2-for-1 forwards for defencemen? Are there any teams that need forward depth that would give a serviceable d-man in exchange? He could essentially 'overpay' to get the deal done. If some of these guys might get lost to waivers anyway, at least you get some value out of them.
There are teams who would do that, but the issue is always whether what you are getting in return is going to be an upgrade or worth it.

Chicago needs forwards and is D heavy, but some might argue they are probably busy planning Seabrook's career ending injury, pointing out (completely unsubstantiated) rumors that he's been wearing Hossa's pads.

The Avalanche want to move Zadorov. And they'd probably ask for Virtanen and Gaudette. Those are the two players with some untapped upside that can play in the NHL now and if they don't get better, that's okay.

And so JB has to say, okay, I get that you want some player who might grow. But you need a 3C right now. Sutter is your guy....

And Burnaby Joe hangs up.
I've actually thought about that.

(trading forwards to Avs because they need them and we have a surplus)

Virtanen and Gaudette would be way too much for Zadorov, Sutter would be way too little, imesho.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Sutter has been too little his whole career. They use him for a kite back in Viking in the summers
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:27 pm
UWSaint wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:56 pm
Puck wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:46 am I'm wondering... with surplus of forwards, could Jim trade 2-for-1 forwards for defencemen? Are there any teams that need forward depth that would give a serviceable d-man in exchange? He could essentially 'overpay' to get the deal done. If some of these guys might get lost to waivers anyway, at least you get some value out of them.
There are teams who would do that, but the issue is always whether what you are getting in return is going to be an upgrade or worth it.

Chicago needs forwards and is D heavy, but some might argue they are probably busy planning Seabrook's career ending injury, pointing out (completely unsubstantiated) rumors that he's been wearing Hossa's pads.

The Avalanche want to move Zadorov. And they'd probably ask for Virtanen and Gaudette. Those are the two players with some untapped upside that can play in the NHL now and if they don't get better, that's okay.

And so JB has to say, okay, I get that you want some player who might grow. But you need a 3C right now. Sutter is your guy....

And Burnaby Joe hangs up.
I've actually thought about that.

(trading forwards to Avs because they need them and we have a surplus)

Virtanen and Gaudette would be way too much for Zadorov, Sutter would be way too little, imesho.
Would Chicago do Seabrook and a 3rd or 4th for Sutter?

Or would they consider Seabrook for Eriksson straight up?

Would we want either of those. Seabrook is at a point in his career where a couple years from now he might be that guy that goes LTIR or even just retires.....although retiring early leaves a hefty chunk of money on the table that he would be walking away from.

We get a guy that would be almost as good as Myers, albeit older, but a better defensive dman, and realistically he should be solid defensively for another couple of seasons. So basically a serviceable part for an unwanted part.

Obviously it's a better idea to find a trade partner than would take Eriksson or Sutter and send us next to nothing in return.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Mëds wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:16 pm

Would we want either of those. Seabrook is at a point in his career where a couple years from now he might be that guy that goes LTIR or even just retires.....although retiring early leaves a hefty chunk of money on the table that he would be walking away from.

We get a guy that would be almost as good as Myers, albeit older, but a better defensive dman, and realistically he should be solid defensively for another couple of seasons. So basically a serviceable part for an unwanted part.

Obviously it's a better idea to find a trade partner that would take Eriksson or Sutter and send us next to nothing in return.
Mëds is good, Mëds is wise.

Seriously, the ideas are solid. Who knows when Myer's expiry date will be in terms of top 4 will be? Likely before 7 years.
I'm sure most of the fans would welcome Seabrook home with a roaring welcome if he was part of an event that saw
disgruntled, help me, I'm falling, Eriksson gone.

When Blob says butter Sutter, that's not a bad description. He's hurt too much to be part on any foundation here.
If not Chicago, I would imagine something back in the eastern time zone might be more palatable for him.
We don't need much back.
"evolution"
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

micky107 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:00 am

Obviously it's a better idea to find a trade partner that would take Eriksson or Sutter and send us next to nothing in return.

Seriously, the ideas are solid. Who knows when Myer's expiry date will be in terms of top 4 will be? Likely before 7 years.
I'm sure most of the fans would welcome Seabrook home with a roaring welcome if he was part of an event that saw

When Blob says butter Sutter, that's not a bad description. He's hurt too much to be part on any foundation here.
If not Chicago, I would imagine something back in the eastern time zone might be more palatable for him.
We don't need much back.
Myers was barely a decent 5th dman in Winnipeg last year.....I'd say his best before date as a top-4 guy is coming up.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Myers is in the ben hutton conversation for effectiveness on the ice.

The signing of myers should warrant the gm getting shot and pissed on
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:35 am Myers is in the ben hutton conversation for effectiveness on the ice.

This is what happens when you’re trying to be liked Blobbee Sox Diner. You say stupid things
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:35 am Myers is in the ben hutton conversation for effectiveness on the ice.

He’s a bit better than Hutton but not a ton. He’s not physical for a big guy and is probably a #4 at this point. Rumour has it he’s looking for 8 million per. He’s worth about 4. Tack on another mill for being UFA. He shouldn’t be getting more than 5 x 5.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

UFA - 27 year old Kevin Hayes $7.14 Million for 7 years until he’s 34.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Mëds wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:43 am

We don't need much back.
Myers was barely a decent 5th dman in Winnipeg last year.....I'd say his best before date as a top-4 guy is coming up.
It is fair to say he was fifth on the jets (or on the third pairing) but he was competing with Trouba and Byfuglien as right shot defensemen. They had the best right side D depth in the league. Any of the three would be the top right sided Dman on the Canucks last year. It should be effective to pair him with Hughes for the next half decade where he will focus on D and let Hughes do his thing. He also has a big shot which I imagine Hughes will feed him to unleash quite often.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Cherry Picker wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:58 am

We don't need much back.
It is fair to say he was fifth on the jets (or on the third pairing) but he was competing with Trouba and Byfuglien as right shot defensemen. They had the best right side D depth in the league. Any of the three would be the top right sided Dman on the Canucks last year. It should be effective to pair him with Hughes for the next half decade where he will focus on D and let Hughes do his thing. He also has a big shot which I imagine Hughes will feed him to unleash quite often.
This was my thought as well, but listening to jet fans he’s more of an offensive type dman, so he may work better with Edler helping him. Tanev(if he’s still around) and Hughes or schenn and Hughes i think might be a better fit.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:51 am UFA - 27 year old Kevin Hayes $7.14 Million for 7 years until he’s 34.
If the worst contract signed so far this year is your bar you’re doing it wrong.

Myers is a good #4 guy who will be paid like a #1/#2. If it’s around $6 million a season it’s not good but you can live with it. If it’s 7 x $7 million it will be up there soon with Loui amongst the worst deals in the league.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

RoyalDude wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:43 am

This is what happens when you’re trying to be liked Blobbee Sox Diner. You say stupid things
He was 4-6 on their depth chart then looked like ass when bumped up due to injuries to their top guys.

He sucks in his own zone but having that 6'8" wingspan compensates for his lack of hockey sense to a degree

Both are awkward skaters who can dangle once up to speed.

Listen dude...if he was that good they would keep him. Its a mistake if Benning chucks giant wads at him like you did to Cst. Drennan...
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Cherry Picker wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:58 am

We don't need much back.
If he was responsible in his own end it would be a different story. The guy needs a stay at home guy to cover his blunders. Not what we need
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

If he's barely any better than Hutton, why aren't they just keeping Hutton who is no more than $4.4 million/year?