Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by 2Fingers »

rikster wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:49 pm
For me it's like fingernails on a chalkboard...

All of this belly aching about signing veterans to too much money and too long of a contract....

Benning has been very clear that his philosophy is to insulate and mentor the kids with quality veterans...

Disagree with the philosophy if you want, but understand that is the debate...

And when you look at the way the kids have developed and the maturity they are showing you could easily argue that it was a wise decision on managements part...

btw, you could argue that the Comets are a good example of how things could go wrong if a team doesn't have the calming influence of quality veterans...

A fact of life was that over the past few years the organization has had to pay a premium to attract free agents and in my opinion, good contracts vs bad contracts is a matter of leverage....

What this off season has shown is that the premium for players to come to Vancouver appears to be dropping ....

There is no salary cap crisis in Vancouver, there are challenges that were brought on by the Luongo recapture penalty and the players decision to limit the salary cap increase to almost zero because of their concerns and frustration with escrow...

Escrow....why is there not more discussion on the air waves about what escrow is and how it played into the Canucks and most other teams salary cap issues?

For those who suggest that it is irresponsible for a non playoff team to be having a cap issue, think about the pickle the Rangers are in....

https://nypost.com/2019/07/17/the-salar ... %20buttons

Most commentators on escrow expect the players to go with the maximum cap increase next season because of the way this years decision has negatively affected players in search of a new contract which in itself will give relief to many teams cap issues...

Relax everyone...

Take care....
And yet, here the Canucks sit and they need to find money to sign Boeser, it is not impossible but it is difficult at the moment. What I was implying is that I do not think JB was expecting to trade for a JT Miller or be required to sign someone like Myers this year. My assumption is that he ASSUMED he had another year or "rebuilding" or what ever we call it.

The salary issues you talk about will be here next year as well, we have LE, Luongo and last year signings for 2 - 3 more years. Even with the cap going up we will have to resign players whose contracts expire so our cap issues will continue unless JB off loads a contract or 2.

I have no comments on the escrow as you are better informed than I.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:24 pm And yet, here the Canucks sit and they need to find money to sign Boeser, it is not impossible but it is difficult at the moment.
I'm not sure why you keep saying this.

Canucks could sign Boeser to a $7M x 6 years contract right now.

Teams are allowed to go 10% over the cap in the off-season.

Then they could conceivably do nothing else over the summer

... and have no issues becoming cap-compliant on opening day.

Cap-friendly has one too many players listed on their Canucks page.

And if Boeser signs they will have two too many.

So Canucks would have no choice in that scenario but to waive two players on opening day.

These two players would become "buried players".

Next season each buried player takes up to $1.075M each off the cap.

So bury say Loui and Schaller.

$1.075M x 2 = $2.15M off the cap as shown at Cap Friendly right now.

$5.06M (cap space right now) + $2.15M = $7.21M on opening day.

$7.21M cap space for Boeser's contract... who knows, maybe Jimmy signs him at $6.5M?

I'm not going to get into LTIRing Roussel, which would allow us to go up to $3M over the cap.

Reefer2 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:24 pm What I was implying is that I do not think JB was expecting to trade for a JT Miller or be required to sign someone like Myers this year. My assumption is that he ASSUMED he had another year or "rebuilding" or what ever we call it.
You assumed that Jimmy ASSUMED? :D

Yeahno, the numbers above are no coincidence.

GMs do all these calculations (or have their people do them) before every/any move is made.

You should never ASSume that you are smarter than an NHL GM.

But you should assume they have more knowledge at hand than you do.

Hell even that Dumbass in TO is ready for all kinds of Marner offer-sheets.

(if the OS is huge well he's got his finger on the trigger of a Kapanen trade to make room)

(or something like dat dere)

Who knows what trigger Jimmy's finger is on right now...

Reefer2 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:24 pm The salary issues you talk about will be here next year as well, we have LE, Luongo and last year signings for 2 - 3 more years. Even with the cap going up we will have to resign players whose contracts expire so our cap issues will continue unless JB off loads a contract or 2.
LE's contract gets easier to move with each passing year (less money).

Contracts like impending UFAs Schaller ($1.9M) Leivo ($1.5M) and Tanev ($4.45M) might be replaced with ELCs.

There are a lot of variables and I assure you Canucks' brain-trust is all over that...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:22 pm

There are a lot of variables and I assure you Canucks' brain-trust is all over that...
This cannot fall upon deaf ears. This cannot be overstated
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Well I wont open up a GDT: but look! at the High resolution twitter feed;

https://twitter.com/DaBeautyLeague/stat ... 81441?s=19

Ya! Go Brock! Scores a beautiful goal under all sorts of pressure and rips it past the sprawling netminder.

Good Gawd that guys good. :shock:
"evolution"
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Doc mans post
Great post Doc, I know that JB has to move some bad contracts but he has to find a dance partner to do it. I do not think LE will be traded this year, like you said next year he will be easier to move so unless he retires he is either on the Nucks or the minors.

I looked at cap friendly and some assumptions of what JB will do next summer:

Levio - gone
Schaller - gone
JV - same or small increase
Motte - gone
Tanev - same - assume they keep him or replace with an equivalent player costing the same
Stecher - same or equivalent player
Markstrom - increase

So after the 2019 season JB will have what ever is the annual cap increase to pay Markstrom his increase plus he has to replace some of the guys that are gone. A player like Julio (cheap) actually making the team and replacing Tanev is badly needed.

2020/21

Sutter - gone
Pearson - gone
Sven - gone
Edler - ???? - he is like a bad wart that never goes away
Benn - ???
EP - huge freaking increase
Hughe - huge freaking increase

so after the 2020/21 season EP and Huges will eat all the savings coming from Sutter/Pearson and Svens contracts (~$12.3) plus more. Assume EP will be $8M and Huges will be ~$6M - $8M. Spooner's $1M comes off at this time as well.

It is not until after the 2021/22 season when LE, Roussel, Beagel and Luongo's cap hits come off the books that the Canucks finally are not burdened with bad contracts. Even without moving LE and with Luongo's recapture penalty the Canucks can make it work but there is no room to sign a #1 FA d man if this is what is needed. There are a lot of moving parts and things can happen and I did not look at all the options or variable available. The big unknown is what will the cap increase be next season, this year it was lower than expected.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Reefer2 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:33 am
Doc mans post
Great post Doc, I know that JB has to move some bad contracts but he has to find a dance partner to do it. I do not think LE will be traded this year, like you said next year he will be easier to move so unless he retires he is either on the Nucks or the minors.

I looked at cap friendly and some assumptions of what JB will do next summer:

Levio - gone
Schaller - gone
Motte - gone
Tanev - same - assume they keep him or replace with an equivalent player costing the same
Markstrom - increase

So after the 2019 season JB will have what ever is the annual cap increase to pay Markstrom his increase plus he has to replace some of the guys that are gone. A player like Julio (cheap) actually making the team and replacing Tanev is badly needed.

2020/21

Sutter - gone
Pearson - gone
Sven - gone
Benn - ???

so after the 2020/21 season EP and Huges will eat all the savings coming from Sutter/Pearson and Svens contracts (~$12.3) plus more. Assume EP will be $8M and Huges will be ~$6M - $8M. Spooner's $1M comes off at this time as well.

It is not until after the 2021/22 season when LE, Roussel, Beagel and Luongo's cap hits come off the books that the Canucks finally are not burdened with bad contracts. Even without moving LE and with Luongo's recapture penalty the Canucks can make it work but there is no room to sign a #1 FA d man if this is what is needed. There are a lot of moving parts and things can happen and I did not look at all the options or variable available. The big unknown is what will the cap increase be next season, this year it was lower than expected.
Only Luongo's recapture penalty and Spooner's buyout are untradeable. The others, like Eriksson, Roussel, Beagle, Pearson, Sutter, and Baertschi, can be traded. Between now and the start of the season, there could still be changes.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Reefer2 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:33 am I looked at cap friendly and some assumptions of what JB will do next summer:

Levio - gone
Schaller - gone
Motte - gone
Markstrom - increase

2020/21

Sutter - gone
Pearson - gone
Sven - gone
Benn - ???
Next summer I would suggest the following.....

Levio - gone
Schaller - gone
Virtanen - increase (depending upon this season)
Motte - gone
Tanev - gone
Stecher - gone
Eriksson - gone (if not this summer)
Sutter - gone (if not this summer)
Markstrom - his will be the toughest decision, even if he plays like he did from January - April, his contract ask might not fit in to the team's plans.

If the rumor about Barrie is true from that other thread (and who knows if it is since the source has a total of 5 posts here) then Tanev and Stecher will be moved and their combined cap hit will be used to cover 80% of Barrie's contract.

The following summer I would think we see.....

Baertschi - gone
Edler - re-signed at $4M or less
EP - yeah, you're right there (I hope)
Hughes - moderate raise (I don't think we see him hit his full potential until at least year 4)
Benn - gone (we gotta hope that one of Brisebois, Juolevi, or Woo, will be knocking on that door 2 years from now)
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Article on Eriksson...
Brady Trettenero
The article leads up to what Elliotte Friedman Thinks about what's going on with the Canucks and Louis Eriksson...

When I read the last sentence, this; Image comes to mind.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

PRE-SEASON 2019-20 TOP 100 FANTASY HOCKEY FORWARD RANKINGS;
https://www.fantraxhq.com/fantasy-hocke ... -rankings/
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Brandon Sutter on the Radio, (sportsbet 650am), yesterday.
Very Interesting. Little worried about his hernia issues but other than that; seems like he's ready to do whatever and
play wherever on the roster Green sees fit.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/the-progra ... ng-season/
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Josh Leivo interview on TSN; Leivo excited about Canucks' new pieces on the back end...

https://www.tsn.ca/video/leivo-excited- ... nd~1733658

Sounds like a happy, but rather hyper guy. Detect a little Phew, thank gawd I'm signed. lol
"evolution"
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

micky107 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:24 am Sounds like a happy, but rather hyper guy. Detect a little Phew, thank gawd I'm signed. lol
I like to be on the receiving end of other people's $1.5 million mistakes, too.
Hono_rary Canadian
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

UWSaint wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:44 am
micky107 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:24 am Sounds like a happy, but rather hyper guy. Detect a little Phew, thank gawd I'm signed. lol
I like to be on the receiving end of other people's $1.5 million mistakes, too.
Undeniably-Feeling-Apprehensive, about next year though..
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

micky107 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:24 am Josh Leivo interview on TSN; Leivo excited about Canucks' new pieces on the back end...

https://www.tsn.ca/video/leivo-excited- ... nd~1733658

Sounds like a happy, but rather hyper guy. Detect a little Phew, thank gawd I'm signed. lol
I really wonder what mgmt sees there. Entry level on a one year show me contract maybe but he didn't do anything more than any random ufa could've IMO
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Just a little on Bo Horvat's wedding;

https://twitter.com/Canucks/status/1152 ... 6%3Fs%3D21

If anyone officially wants to send their congrats: https://www.myregistry.com/wedding-regi ... ON/1811175
"evolution"