Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by SKYO »

People forget Tim Schaller had surgery on his fist last summer and wasn't playing a full healthy hand probably for half the season, now he's healthy and can provide what he was signed for last summer, in bringing that 4th liner energy, spark, checking ability and an ok shot.

Bruins article June 2018 on Schaller:

Schaller went about establishing himself as a fourth line wing at the NHL level capable of providing energy, occasional offense, and consistent effort.

The 27-year-old Schaller had his best NHL season while suiting up in all 82 games, cracking double-digits with a career-high 12 goals and 22 points and adding a team-high three short-handed goals to provide some value on special teams.

Schaller skates pretty well for a big 6-foot-2, 219-pound left wing and occasionally flashed a dangerous wrist shot off the rush that made him the biggest offensive threat on a Bruins fourth line that actually kicked in a combined 28 goals during a very solid regular season.

...and the hard-nosed kid has been an excellent Bruin on and off the ice with his high-energy style of play and his charitable efforts.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/bruins ... m-schaller
In any case I'm ok with having some meat and potatoes on the 4th line with Schaller, can't have all pushovers and weaklings in the forward group, especially on the 4th line!!!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

“Not an easy day, this one stings a little harder. He was close to me and my family. It’s tough to see, he went through a lot to fight back after last season. There’s no doubt in my mind he’ll be back faster, stronger and better.” -
@BoHorvat
on Baertschi
12:25 PM · Sep 30, 2019
Yikes
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Jim Benning interview today;

https://twitter.com/imacSportsnet/statu ... 6425151489

maybe something better later.....
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Coach Travis Green interview today;

https://twitter.com/Canucks/status/1178 ... de%3Dfalse

again; sorry about the format.
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:43 pm People forget Tim Schaller had surgery on his fist last summer and wasn't playing a full healthy hand probably for half the season, now he's healthy and can provide what he was signed for last summer, in bringing that 4th liner energy, spark, checking ability and an ok shot.

Bruins article June 2018 on Schaller:

Schaller went about establishing himself as a fourth line wing at the NHL level capable of providing energy, occasional offense, and consistent effort.

The 27-year-old Schaller had his best NHL season while suiting up in all 82 games, cracking double-digits with a career-high 12 goals and 22 points and adding a team-high three short-handed goals to provide some value on special teams.

Schaller skates pretty well for a big 6-foot-2, 219-pound left wing and occasionally flashed a dangerous wrist shot off the rush that made him the biggest offensive threat on a Bruins fourth line that actually kicked in a combined 28 goals during a very solid regular season.

...and the hard-nosed kid has been an excellent Bruin on and off the ice with his high-energy style of play and his charitable efforts.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/bruins ... m-schaller
In any case I'm ok with having some meat and potatoes on the 4th line with Schaller, can't have all pushovers and weaklings in the forward group, especially on the 4th line!!!
So his sore fist is what made him skate like Dana Murzyn? :hmmm: and he isn’t some holy terror out there either. He got the piss punched out of him in his only fight last year.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

"evolution"
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Sven and Loui are basically a wash, except for the contracts. More offence from Sven, but Loui kills penalties. There is some chance Sven gets claimed, which might be a nice bit of cap room, whereas Loui would never get claimed.

Schaller is also fine. At the end of the day, the canucks need 6 pk forwards to keep Bo from doing it.

I feel there is a pump n dump coming, especially if Gaudette is the 13th forward. Sutter, Loui, Schaller, any of them could go and be replaced by Sven.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:12 pm
SKYO wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:43 pm In any case I'm ok with having some meat and potatoes on the 4th line with Schaller, can't have all pushovers and weaklings in the forward group, especially on the 4th line!!!
So his sore fist is what made him skate like Dana Murzyn? :hmmm: and he isn’t some holy terror out there either. He got the piss punched out of him in his only fight last year.

No need to fabricate a story like he skates a slow as Murzyn...cue Trump: FAKE NEWS!

Schaller got wheels for a 4th liner - tim to beags - showing he's been working on his skating in the offseason.

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:00 pm
SKYO wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:43 pm In any case I'm ok with having some meat and potatoes on the 4th line with Schaller, can't have all pushovers and weaklings in the forward group, especially on the 4th line!!!

No need to fabricate a story like he skates a slow as Murzyn...cue Trump: FAKE NEWS!

Schaller got wheels for a 4th liner - tim to beags - showing he's been working on his skating in the offseason.

There was this one time at Band Camp.....
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Schenn played some very solid minutes for the Canucks in the final 15 or so games last year. His size and willingness to protect teammates while still providing us with a reliable bottom pairing, stay home, crease clearing, defenseman, is worth having around at the cost of those 3 guys.

Baertschi was a 2nd line producer on a 3rd line salary, and while he showed some good chemistry with Gaudette, this was pre-season play. Taking his "one hit away" status out of the equation there was still the question of whether or not he would produce as a 2nd line winger when removed from Horvat's wing. He certainly was not going to be useful as a forechecking shutdown winger on the 3rd line. Coupled with the fact that he doesn't get deployed in a PK role, it makes more sense to keep Eriksson in a bottom-6 capacity with the option to deploy him at either end on special teams. Recall that Loui's bread and butter in Dallas and Boston was around the net on the PP, something he saw very little of in the past couple of seasons (yes I realize that there's the gotta earn it component to this).

As far as contract value goes Eriksson is among the worst in the league currently. But I could see him producing the same as Baertschi if given similar deployment, which coupled with his PK ability makes him more useful (hard to believe at this point).

Ferland - Petersson - Boeser
Pearson - Horvat - Miller

Every one of those guys is a better option than Baertschi in a top-6 role.

Leivo - Gaudette/Sutter - Sutter/Virtanen
Schaller - Beagle - Eriksson

All of them but Leivo is a better option than Baertschi in a bottom-6 role.....and really Leivo is bigger and more physical, just perhaps lazier.

Sven became the ultimate t'weener on this roster.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:11 pm
SKYO wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:00 pm

Put your flute away Blob.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

SKYO wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:00 pm Schaller got wheels for a 4th liner
Hardly insinuates Schaller is as slow as molasses either, but carry on.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Better version of interviews today;
https://www.nhl.com/canucks/video/news- ... c-69244703
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:50 pm
SKYO wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:00 pm Schaller got wheels for a 4th liner
Hardly insinuates Schaller is as slow as molasses either, but carry on.
No,,, but the 50 odd games I watched him lumber around do. He’s slow and the entire bottom six is slow other than Jake, but Pearson and Boeser are slow. The team is slow regardless if Schaller won a race in a pre season game.

Hint.... the league is getting faster
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Mëds wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:31 pm Schenn played some very solid minutes for the Canucks in the final 15 or so games last year. His size and willingness to protect teammates while still providing us with a reliable bottom pairing, stay home, crease clearing, defenseman, is worth having around at the cost of those 3 guys.

Baertschi was a 2nd line producer on a 3rd line salary, and while he showed some good chemistry with Gaudette, this was pre-season play. Taking his "one hit away" status out of the equation there was still the question of whether or not he would produce as a 2nd line winger when removed from Horvat's wing. He certainly was not going to be useful as a forechecking shutdown winger on the 3rd line. Coupled with the fact that he doesn't get deployed in a PK role, it makes more sense to keep Eriksson in a bottom-6 capacity with the option to deploy him at either end on special teams. Recall that Loui's bread and butter in Dallas and Boston was around the net on the PP, something he saw very little of in the past couple of seasons (yes I realize that there's the gotta earn it component to this).

As far as contract value goes Eriksson is among the worst in the league currently. But I could see him producing the same as Baertschi if given similar deployment, which coupled with his PK ability makes him more useful (hard to believe at this point).

Ferland - Petersson - Boeser
Pearson - Horvat - Miller

Every one of those guys is a better option than Baertschi in a top-6 role.

Leivo - Gaudette/Sutter - Sutter/Virtanen
Schaller - Beagle - Eriksson

All of them but Leivo is a better option than Baertschi in a bottom-6 role.....and really Leivo is bigger and more physical, just perhaps lazier.

Sven became the ultimate t'weener on this roster.
Do you have a link stating that Baertschi was one hit away from a career ending situation?
Pretty strong words about a Baertschi usenessless moving forward.
He would do anything the coach asked him to. Why are the other players on the team unhappy to see him demoted?
There is no way, in any light, I see Eriksson more useful to this team,
The man has publically bitched about the roles he has been put in. That in itself is a detriment to the team in general.
There is the matter of Team chemistry and LE is a beaker full of rat poison.
"evolution"