Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by Mickey107 »

Vancouver Canucks: Which teams make sense for Loui Eriksson?

https://thecanuckway.com/2019/07/16/van ... -eriksson/

Nothing we haven't talked about already but what "is" the best idea?
Colorado may well have yet unpublished plans for their cap space which may even include keeping it in their pocket for now.
Dallas, I guess, is the logical idea but do we save enough?

Worst case scenario; Louis comes back to Vancouver, patches everything up with Benning and Green
and it's nonproductive business as usual....

Piss-off, Mick, think positively. :twisted:
"evolution"
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

UWSaint wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:03 am
micky107 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:54 am
ESQ wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:43 am
micky107 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:40 am
NHL

VANCOUVER CANUCKS
3h ago

Ex-Oiler, Canuck Spooner signs in Switzerland
Ryan Spooner is headed across the pond. The 27-year-old forward, who spent time with the New York Rangers, Edmonton Oilers and Vancouver Canucks last season, has signed a one-year contract with Switzerland's HC Lugano.
TSN.ca Staff
Ya know, one of Benning's moves I disagree with was the Spooner buyout. It only saved $1 mil in cap space (vs burying him), but added a $1 mil cap hit next year.
That's true. Just another trickle down effect of the LE contract. IMO.
Yes. Or last years UFA pickups, like adding Tim Schaller for $1.9 million per year for two years when Brendan Gaunce is a pretty damn similar player.
Last year when JB sign his FA in the off season almost all of here was not concerned about the players signed, there was some discussion that the amount was too high and they were 1 - 2 years too long but overall the feeling was that they were not taking any spot away from a prospect. Fast forward 1 year and JB would of probably wanted a redo on all of them.

It is always easy to say things in hindsight but this is why any GM of any sport needs to have a plan and stick to it. I do feel that JB was pressured to do what he did this season or he will lose his job. I am not sure he was under that impression the summer of 2018, he may have assumed he was getting an extension during last season.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

And they say things get better with age;

not for me. really don't care for the 50. sorry. PR dudes.
"evolution"
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Reefer2 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:32 am

Last year when JB sign his FA in the off season almost all of here was not concerned about the players signed, there was some discussion that the amount was too high and they were 1 - 2 years too long but overall the feeling was that they were not taking any spot away from a prospect. Fast forward 1 year and JB would of probably wanted a redo on all of them.

It is always easy to say things in hindsight but this is why any GM of any sport needs to have a plan and stick to it. I do feel that JB was pressured to do what he did this season or he will lose his job. I am not sure he was under that impression the summer of 2018, he may have assumed he was getting an extension during last season.
You reckon? I don't know if I agree, I think he's very happy with Roussel and Beagle, and I am too. Schaller looked bad at the time, and turned out bad.

Spooner is the offspring of 2017's bad signing, Gagner.

Both Schaller and Gagner/Spooner would have just been wiped out at the end of this year anyway, freeing up over $5 mil in cap space. IMO, there was no need to give up anything to ditch those contracts, because they were small enough and short enough that they'd have resolved themselves before the cap space became an issue - just like Del Zotto did.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

micky107 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:28 am .
Vancouver Canucks: Which teams make sense for Loui Eriksson?

https://thecanuckway.com/2019/07/16/van ... -eriksson/

Nothing we haven't talked about already but what "is" the best idea?
Colorado may well have yet unpublished plans for their cap space which may even include keeping it in their pocket for now.
Dallas, I guess, is the logical idea but do we save enough?

Worst case scenario; Louis comes back to Vancouver, patches everything up with Benning and Green
and it's nonproductive business as usual....

Piss-off, Mick, think positively. :twisted:
I believe Colorado has had a pretty strict internal cap since the end of the Sakic/Forsberg era, so I would not be surprised at all if they stay near the floor. As UW has pointed out, they currently have no bad contracts, and they have the best contract in the league (Mackinnon).
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ESQ wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:56 am I believe Colorado has had a pretty strict internal cap since the end of the Sakic/Forsberg era, so I would not be surprised at all if they stay near the floor.
Dunno about that, I keep hearing Avs fans saying 5 Billion Kroenke has no qualms about spending to the cap.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

____
Try to focus on someday.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:48 pm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._T._Miller

Jimothy Timothy? :wow:
Ha - no wonder he goes by JT ! :D
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Reefer2 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:32 am Last year when JB sign his FA in the off season almost all of here was not concerned about the players signed, there was some discussion that the amount was too high and they were 1 - 2 years too long but overall the feeling was that they were not taking any spot away from a prospect. Fast forward 1 year and JB would of probably wanted a redo on all of them.

Right, most people thought they were signed to too much for too long. The immediate question at the time -- would they take a spot from a prospect -- got its answer: they did not in any way that mattered to prospect development (which was also my position at the time). But these concerns are totally different concerns addressing different things. Too much/too long is a complaint about future utility; prospect occupying is a near term and far term complaint. Now we are dealing with the effects of too much too long. And now the Canucks aren't in the business of developing prospects for a brighter day. It is go time; sink or swim.

Last offseason isn't atrocious, but it is a minor impediment. This team has a few minor impediments that add up to an identifiable dragging weight on the Pettersson-Era.
Hono_rary Canadian
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Cornuck wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:05 pm
Strangelove wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:48 pm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._T._Miller

I seriously Lol'ed, however I take Elite Prospect's version as the more accurate - Jonathan Tanner.

I'd submit an edit on Wikipedia, but I don't know if I have a proper source on that!
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

I had to look at the edit history, something tells me the unhappy nerds at HFboards have too much time on their hands:
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =904302762

I just went ahead and fixed it, I got yo back JT!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Jonathan Tanner Is a far cry from Jimothy Timothy
The only HW the Canucks need
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

ESQ wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:31 pm

I seriously Lol'ed, however I take Elite Prospect's version as the more accurate - Jonathan Tanner.

I'd submit an edit on Wikipedia, but I don't know if I have a proper source on that!
I should have figured Doc would be posting fake news...
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

UWSaint wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:26 pm Last offseason isn't atrocious, but it is a minor impediment. This team has a few minor impediments that add up to an identifiable dragging weight on the Pettersson-Era.
I should add -- the tangible thing Beagle was brought in for was the PK. He delivered on that -- lots of SH time and pretty good results. The biggest head scratcher there was the term -- a generally applicable concern with signing a bottom 6 player to a 4 year market-rate deal + the unique concern of Beagle's age. That Beagle might not provide more than replacement level services in the 3rd or 4th year of the contract (or even this year), was and is entirely foreseeable.

Roussel was brought in to be the pest who could play. He delivered. Outside of the generally applicable concern with signing any bottom 6 player to a 4 year market-rate deal, it was a decent contract. And I think that if Roussel comes back from injury, he will be a contributor and/or there would be a market for him if the Canucks wanted to move on.

Schaller was brought in for (?). I can see an argument that Schaller could be a poor man's energy guy, but once a middle class energy guy was acquired (Roussel), this was just a weird add. I'm not even sure Schaller disappointed reasonable expectations, because I am not sure reasonable expectations had him doing much more.

The 2017 adds weren't brought in for hockey reasons beyond "have a few more NHL caliber players". They were there to be dealt for value. And even though Gagner didn't work -- look at the results: a 6th Round pick (MDZ) and a Schaller-plus player (Motte) whose salary + the Gagner/Spooner buyout is basically Schaller's salary. To get there, the Canucks needed Gagner to perform at worst-possible scenario level. To get Schaller, well....
Hono_rary Canadian
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

UWSaint wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:57 pm
UWSaint wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:26 pm Last offseason isn't atrocious, but it is a minor impediment. This team has a few minor impediments that add up to an identifiable dragging weight on the Pettersson-Era.
I should add -- the tangible thing Beagle was brought in for was the PK. He delivered on that -- lots of SH time and pretty good results. The biggest head scratcher there was the term -- a generally applicable concern with signing a bottom 6 player to a 4 year market-rate deal + the unique concern of Beagle's age. That Beagle might not provide more than replacement level services in the 3rd or 4th year of the contract (or even this year), was and is entirely foreseeable.

Roussel was brought in to be the pest who could play. He delivered. Outside of the generally applicable concern with signing any bottom 6 player to a 4 year market-rate deal, it was a decent contract. And I think that if Roussel comes back from injury, he will be a contributor and/or there would be a market for him if the Canucks wanted to move on.

Schaller was brought in for (?). I can see an argument that Schaller could be a poor man's energy guy, but once a middle class energy guy was acquired (Roussel), this was just a weird add. I'm not even sure Schaller disappointed reasonable expectations, because I am not sure reasonable expectations had him doing much more.

The 2017 adds weren't brought in for hockey reasons beyond "have a few more NHL caliber players". They were there to be dealt for value. And even though Gagner didn't work -- look at the results: a 6th Round pick (MDZ) and a Schaller-plus player (Motte) whose salary + the Gagner/Spooner buyout is basically Schaller's salary. To get there, the Canucks needed Gagner to perform at worst-possible scenario level. To get Schaller, well....
For me it's like fingernails on a chalkboard...

All of this belly aching about signing veterans to too much money and too long of a contract....

Benning has been very clear that his philosophy is to insulate and mentor the kids with quality veterans...

Disagree with the philosophy if you want, but understand that is the debate...

And when you look at the way the kids have developed and the maturity they are showing you could easily argue that it was a wise decision on managements part...

btw, you could argue that the Comets are a good example of how things could go wrong if a team doesn't have the calming influence of quality veterans...

A fact of life was that over the past few years the organization has had to pay a premium to attract free agents and in my opinion, good contracts vs bad contracts is a matter of leverage....

What this off season has shown is that the premium for players to come to Vancouver appears to be dropping ....

There is no salary cap crisis in Vancouver, there are challenges that were brought on by the Luongo recapture penalty and the players decision to limit the salary cap increase to almost zero because of their concerns and frustration with escrow...

Escrow....why is there not more discussion on the air waves about what escrow is and how it played into the Canucks and most other teams salary cap issues?

For those who suggest that it is irresponsible for a non playoff team to be having a cap issue, think about the pickle the Rangers are in....

https://nypost.com/2019/07/17/the-salar ... %20buttons

Most commentators on escrow expect the players to go with the maximum cap increase next season because of the way this years decision has negatively affected players in search of a new contract which in itself will give relief to many teams cap issues...

Relax everyone...

Take care....