Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Alright weve seen 4 games now and i am seeing something that could be worthy of discussion.

Pettersson is obviously the target of tighter checking from teams (as expected) and he isn't breaking free. He doesnt have the time or space he had the first half of last season and he doesn't seem to have that extra gear to seperate from the coverage.

So...what are we looking at? Opinions?
If you need air...call it in
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:24 am Alright weve seen 4 games now and i am seeing something that could be worthy of discussion.

Pettersson is obviously the target of tighter checking from teams (as expected) and he isn't breaking free. He doesnt have the time or space he had the first half of last season and he doesn't seem to have that extra gear to seperate from the coverage.

Petey & Brock don't look %100 yet. Miller & a few more game's might help wake them up.
Patience oh brown one
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Pettersson has spoken of the extra attention he will receive from other teams since pre-season. Think he's mentioned what he'll have to do
on several occasions. In my opinion, he's talking himself into a sophomore slump.
There isn't anything wrong with his skating as I've seen him pour the coals to it a few times this year and he actually looks faster than last year.
He is easily good enough to create his own space even with 2 or 3 guys chasing him around but that is not the desired method.
Both Pete and Brock will be fine...
Something I might try once in a while, (if he continues to play with them), is get Miller taking the "occasional" face-offs in the offensive zone.
Might allow Pettersson some extra room on occasion. Screw-up the other team's coverage plans.
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

dangler wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:28 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:24 am Alright weve seen 4 games now and i am seeing something that could be worthy of discussion.

Petey & Brock don't look %100 yet. Miller & a few more game's might help wake them up.
Patience oh brown one
They're producing statistically so theres no panic...just want to see his best where hes a step ahead of everyone like he has demonstrated previously.

I pack big bowls of patience for just such an occasion :D
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Yes, stats-wise they aren't doing too bad. But nobody would be saying this if the coaching staff had adjusted earlier on the PP.

Scoring one or two goals on those first 10 PP opportunities would have made a world of difference. Q's rocket is still the only one they've scored.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I see a team still working in the new guys.

EP is getting used to the opposing team concentrating on him and will get better.

I do not like Levio on the line he is on, how can a Green keep him there when 18,000 fans at the rink saw him fumble 2 glorious scoring chances without even getting a shot off. The PP needs to be changed up, Edler still seems to shot right at the defender pads but then I wanted the dude off the team for 5+ years so I am biased.

Markstrom has been great, freaking awesome and good to see.

Overall the team is more exciting to watch, especially without LE on the team.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Petey will adjust, he just needed that shootout goal to get that swagger back.

Hey as long as the defense is concentrating on him and Boeser, the other lines get a bit more space to score.

Petey just has to be like Patrick Kane, as when Kane see's a bit of space a few times a game he capitalizes on it almost 80% of the time that's how the superstars do it, make some nice plays all game but held scoreless, however in those rare moments a defense makes a mistake boom Kane goes insane and scores or sets up a player to tap it in - how the elite players average a point+ a game.

EP just adapting to being the franchises best player.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Secondary scoring is the answer. A true top six forces the opposition to adjust. If they shut down Pettersson and our other top six are producing they will eventually have to ease up on him. I’m not worried yet.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Still need another top 6 winger. I like Miller on the top line. Hoping Podkozlin can be that guy...eventually, but until then, it's going to be a revolving door of wingers for BO. I like Ferland on the 3rd line. Our bottom seems to be figuring it out, it will get interesting when Roussel and Motte are ready for duty. The likes of Virtanen, Leivo and Schaller better be aware of the incoming players off of IR. Those 3 strike me as the current bubble players. Eriksson fuck off. Gaudette has made the team IMO
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:14 pm Secondary scoring is the answer. A true top six forces the opposition to adjust. If they shut down Pettersson and our other top six are producing they will eventually have to ease up on him. I’m not worried yet.
Exactly. Pearson has been flying out there, and he's getting a lot of space.

Pettersson is also neutralizing the opposing top line. So fixing the PP should get Petey going offensively, while the second line is cooking and the opposing team's top line is trying to contain Elias.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Sometimes high-IQ players fall into the trap of overthinking, could that be what's happening here?
____
Try to focus on someday.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:32 pm

Sometimes high-IQ players fall into the trap of overthinking, could that be what's happening here?
+1,let's see where we're at in 10 - 20 games
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

dangler wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:20 pm
+1,let's see where we're at in 10 - 20 games
Seems to be how last season ended for him.

So can a team neutralize a player like EP so easily with scouting tape/positioning and/or blanket coverage?

Its one of the more interesting atory lines early this season along with how fan-fuckin-tastic Marky is playing. For me thats a giant relief
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

If pundits and hockey people, other teams already consider Pettersson as a top-10 center in the league, of course he's going to get the extra attention and tough matchups.

I'm not surprised that he hasn't come flying out of the gate but last year's start shouldn't be the expected norm from now on either. Him and Brock looked out of sync in the preseason and in the Edmonton game. If they would have adjusted the PP in Calgary, EP40 might be PPG right now.

The last two home games they have looked much better. With Q's progress and Miller on the first line, some improvement on the PP... I'm not worried. He's too good and too driven to not be able to adapt.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Did Green try Shotgun with Pearson and Bo a couple times last night, or was that just people extending shifts or whatnot?

I would like to see that experiment for a couple games
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.