Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Micky wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:31 am 11:30 AM
Lines in morning skate:

Miller-Horvat-MacEwen
Pearson-Pettersson-Virtanen
Roussel-Gaudette-Sutter
Bailey-Beagle-Eriksson

Edler-Stecher
Hughes-Tanev
Benn-MyerS

Extras: Schaller, Brisebois
Vancouver #Canucks@Canucks
Markstrom starts and same #Canucks line-up, said Coach Green.
Boeser is "coming along" and will reassessed at the end of the week.
11:39 AM · Feb 12, 2020
Man if miller can young guy whisper macewen like he’s done with Jake, this could be great. Miller has been so good with our team and a major driver in leading the young guys to get better.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Lines in morning skate:

Miller-Horvat-MacEwen
Roussel-Gaudette-Sutter
Bailey-Beagle-Eriksson

Edler-Stecher
Hughes-Tanev
Benn-MyerS

Oh look Doylie...Stetcher is now a top pairing defenseman!
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:34 pm
Lines in morning skate:

Miller-Horvat-MacEwen
Roussel-Gaudette-Sutter
Bailey-Beagle-Eriksson

Edler-Stecher
Hughes-Tanev
Benn-MyerS

Oh look Doylie...Stetcher is now a top pairing defenseman!
I’m not a fan of the pairings... would rather see Myers/Edler, but Green has to shelter two players either way. Either on the same pair or on separate pairs. It’s not ideal but it’s a lot smarter than waiving Stecher or giving him away and plugging in a rookie in a playoff race. You guys are way too antsy to see a trade. It’s hilarious.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Stecher's always been paired with Edler a lot these past few years, but gets way less ice time.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:38 pm Now thank me for reminding you Baertschi was not "shut down for the season"...
So Baer came back to play 4 meaningless games before the end of the season, B-I-G W-H-O-P-P-I-E D-O-O.

The circumstances were quite different though. The Nucks were pretty much out of it. Baer wanted to test his body to see where he was at, gauge if he can come back the following season and I'm sure mgmt wanted to see as well. Baer played it safe, avoided contact, played outside of the dirty areas and he pretty much said as much. Ferkland situation on the other hand is drastically contrary, we're in the battle for the division title and his game is all about initiating contact and finishing his checks. Technically, the GM can say by letting Ferland play, he's putting Ferkland in a dangerous situation.

Strangelove wrote: White man speak with forked tongue. :hmmm:

You don't always say " if he has another setback" before you say "shut him down". To wit:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:55 pm I wouldn't mind if Ferkland just shuts it down for the rest of the season, see if time will help him heal up and just come to camp next season and go from there.
Yes, what about THAT Todd. :mex:
Well, you didn't make it clear that you were referring to a post I made back in January (over a month ago); the post was discussing the present, so how the hell are we supposed to know? If it were my call, I still think what I said back in Jan would be better for Ferkland's health, but the wheels are already in motion. He's gone to Utica to test himself, therefore if he has another setback, mgmt should do the right thing and shut him down for the year. :P

Strangelove wrote: The main difference here is that Gillis got the doctors to agree with him.

I said (repeatedly) that "If Ferland and the doctors say he's good to go..."
Stranglove wrote:And btw there would be no placing Ferland's $3.5M contract on the LTIR.
Exactly, JB can easily do the same. With Ferkland's concussion history and how easily his symptom recurred after a few shifts when he tried to come back too early, JB can easily persuade or find a doctor who would recommend to shut Ferkland down for the year. Concussion protocol is a big thing in the NHL these days, so they'll want to play if safe. No one would dispute it if mgmt shuts him down. Putting him on LTIR would be cake. Done.

You're fearful about getting sued if mgmt doesn't let him play right? Think of it this way, if mgmt has reservations about his condition, lets him play anyways and he takes a big hit and suffers a major concussion, the lawsuit and the bad press on the franchise, mgmt and ownership will be UGLY, a million times worse.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:34 pm
Strangelove wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:38 pm Now thank me for reminding you Baertschi was not "shut down for the season"...
So Baer came back to play 4 meaningless games before the end of the season, B-I-G W-H-O-P-P-I-E D-O-O.
You said Canucks management "shut Baertschi down for the season".

So you were W R O N G... that's what. :mex:

Strangelove wrote: White man speak with forked tongue. :hmmm:

You don't always say " if he has another setback" before you say "shut him down". To wit:

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:55 pm I wouldn't mind if Ferkland just shuts it down for the rest of the season, see if time will help him heal up and just come to camp next season and go from there.
Yes, what about THAT Todd. :mex:
Well, you didn't make it clear that you were referring to a post I made back in January (over a month ago); the post was discussing the present, so how the hell are we supposed to know?
Really? :roll: "I said it a month ago so it doesn't count!" :lol: OMG wot a schmuck...

Strangelove wrote: The main difference here is that Gillis got the doctors to agree with him.

I said (repeatedly) that "If Ferland and the doctors say he's good to go..."

... And btw there would be no placing Ferland's $3.5M contract on the LTIR.
Exactly, JB can easily do the same. With Ferkland's concussion history and how easily his symptom recurred after a few shifts when he tried to come back too early, JB can easily persuade or find a doctor who would recommend to shut Ferkland down for the year.
Yeahno, Jimbo ain't slimy like Mikey.

Besides, they have a concussion protocol that must be followed

... up to and including re-inserting the player into the lineup.

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:34 pm Concussion protocol is a big thing in the NHL these days, so they'll want to play if safe.
Ferland has been through the concussion protocol, he is now fit to play.

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:34 pm No one would dispute it if mgmt shuts him down.
No one? Not Ferland? Not his agent? Not the NHLPA?

Again, after going through the concussion protocol you are deemed fit to play (by doctors).

There's no "shutting him down" you Wee Todd. :lol:

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:34 pm Putting him on LTIR would be cake. Done.
Nope, that would be cap circumvention.

BTW Gillis put Malhotra on IR, not LTIR.

(he needed the roster spot, not the cap relief)

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:34 pm You're fearful about getting sued if mgmt doesn't let him play right? Think of it this way, if mgmt has reservations about his condition, lets him play anyways and he takes a big hit and suffers a major concussion, the lawsuit and the bad press on the franchise, mgmt and ownership will be UGLY, a million times worse.
Nope, their butts are covered because he went through the concussion protocol.

IS ANY OF THIS GETTING THROUGH
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

SKYO wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:21 pm Stecher's always been paired with Edler a lot these past few years, but gets way less ice time.
Exactly. Edler is too slow to cover for stetchers blunders these days
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Micky wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:17 pm
Hank wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:29 pm Today on a call with Walker & Shah on Sportsnet 650, Trevor was asked if he's talked to Jim.

His reply was an emphatic, "I haven't talked to Jim. He's busy, I'm busy. Let's leave it at that." Pretty much indicated he didn't want to discuss this any further.
At least he remembered they exist. :evil: PTPS post traumatic president syndrome. Seriously; To mention Judd Brackett
Yeah, I found it interesting that in the interview, Trev praised Brackett and Greener, but makes no mention of JB and ownership.

In an interview, It was nice to see the Steamer stick up for his former mate and protege though. (around 7:19 mark)

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/video/sedin ... /c-5240244
Richardstroker69 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:51 am the guy should never have stuck his nose in hockey ops, he shoulda just smiled for the camera.
Yeah, it's too bad Aqua didn't try to persuade Trev to take on a part-time Vice-President role or something. Trev doesn't have to be a part of the day to day operations of the club, just let JB run it. Let Trev go back to running his business stuff (gym, real estate, etc) during the day. He can just show up to like a dozen games a year, meet with season ticket holders, attend corporate events and be a high profile, highly paid, PR guy for the club. Sell him on freeing up his time to work on his business ventures, spending time with his young family, no need to go on the road and stay on in a reduced/flexible capacity. He can still show up to draft & TDL meetings, give his input, but let JB & his staff make the final calls; but then again, maybe Trev didn't want such a position.

There's one move that Trev did for the franchise that cannot be undervalued when he was Pres, it was his decision for the next GM of this club after Gillis and all things indicate that Trev made the right choice by selecting Jim Benning. It's too bad the relationship seems a bit fractured now and Trev probably feels that JB threw him under the bus. It's nice to see Trev here for Sedin nite, but hopefully with time the relationship will heal. Just a part of me would still like to see him be a part of this organization.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Trev's plan was to get as far away from the game as he could when he retired but Mr Aquilini made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

The result was predictable, sadly. Trev never stood much of a chance.
el rey del mambo
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:23 pm Trev's plan was to get as far away from the game as he could when he retired but Mr Aquilini made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

The consensus around here at the time was: Figurehead.

But later I think the figurehead started to figure he was something more.

Perhaps the title went to his head.

Oh well, great guy though, great in the community and whatnot. :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:57 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:23 pm Trev's plan was to get as far away from the game as he could when he retired but Mr Aquilini made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

But later I think the figurehead started to figure he was something more.

The way he played his guts out in 94 was legendary. If they had won he might be in the hall by now even.

All the bullshit that came along after that has overshadowed how huge he was for the team.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:37 pm
Strangelove wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:57 pm

But then I think the figurehead figured he was something more.

The way he played his guts out in 94 was legendary. If they had won he might be in the hall by now even.

All the bullshit that came along after that has overshadowed how huge he was for the team.
No one will ever forget '94.

The guy was a monster.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:42 pm No one will ever forget '94.

The guy was a monster.
Yup. Respect.

Trevor as president is no worse than figurehead Shanny. I don't know why Canuck fans always have to be so harsh. Honestly, we are some of the league's worst fans.

Aqua used Trev's goodwill to fix his mistakes, mainly getting a GM who could scout and draft and making the bad Gillis/Torts smell fade away.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Linden was great in his rookie season and into the post season first round that year vs the Flames when he almost single handed made it close/
to the end of the 94 cup run to the bitter end of the third period of game 7.

I know there's a bit more but that's about it for me...
"evolution"
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:02 pm IS ANY OF THIS GETTING THROUGH
Nah, it basically just a fart in the wind. :P