Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Puck
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by Puck »

It was nice to hear a big cheer for Gradin and the "OK, we've healed- thanks" applause for Kesler. The ovation for Linden was very impressive. He briefly stole the show.

It was a long ceremony to hold before a game. It's no surprise the team was flat. Half were just not in a game frame of mind, the other half were probably a bit overwhelmed. The ceremony was almost a 50th Anniversary moment for everybody to remember everything they've loved about the team. Never a bad thing to do. It might just fire up the young guys a little more too.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

How fitting that Luongo was in the house for Markstrom's franchise-record setting shutout.

Gotta hand it to Gillis, he turned the goaltending controversy of 2012 into the future captain and a new franchise goalie.

They were the only "rebuilding" moves he made, and they took four years to really show their worth, but Gillis deserves a lot of credit.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:18 am How fitting that Luongo was in the house for Markstrom's franchise-record setting shutout.

Gotta hand it to Gillis, he turned the goaltending controversy of 2012 into the future captain and a new franchise goalie.

They were the only "rebuilding" moves he made, and they took four years to really show their worth, but Gillis deserves a lot of credit.
Not according to the Chef
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Good ceremony for the Twins last night. Done with class, just like you would expect.

I was surprised to see the people on the ice who were on the ice. Some of them didn't like each other, but they buried it all out of respect for the Sedins. Good on them, good on the crowd. Nice to see Linden get a massive cheer and I am glad nobody Boo'd Kesler.
Juice was funny.. And the Sedins were classy as fuck in their speech.

All in all, it was a great ceremony.

…. we kinda sucked in the game though, thank gawd Marky showed up!
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:22 am …. we kinda sucked in the game though, thank gawd Marky showed up!
Just imagine if Marky had played like the rest of the team? The Sedins would have wanted their jerseys back.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:42 am
ESQ wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:18 am How fitting that Luongo was in the house for Markstrom's franchise-record setting shutout.

They had such different roles. Much of what Gillis did was add to an existing team well on it's way to becoming a real cup contender.

In that regard, he did well, granted, his drafting wasn't great, though a couple of those years were poor overall talent pools. Wasn't his strength.

There were others in the organization then that are still there so all the blame should be somewhat distributed. He was a jerk to the press

though, not a super duper demeanor.

Linden was brought in as a figure head and quite frankly, I'm surprised he took the job. He hired Benning and that was a great move. I assume

that was his idea. Why there has to be hard feelings is unknown and quite frankly, stupid and even immature. It is what it is. The term throwing

under the bus, IMO, is a stretch. His job was president. The presentation of the product and the franchise is priority one.

I think currently, Benning and Bracket are moving along just fine and I believe Bracket will choose to stay. His prerogative though. Money

and your own team would tempt anyone, it would me.

I think last night and how the organization, (team) is currently presented is much better now then it was. If that's the Aqualini's personnel

outside Benning and Bracket, who cares. Last nights set-up and overall presentation is the best I've ever seen within an NHL organization.

Enough to bring tears to your eyes. Stupendous comes to mind. Whoever put it all together and all that contributed to it can take a bow.

Now? Let's win a GD cup!
"evolution"
Raging Fury
MVP
MVP

Post by Raging Fury »

Apparently Ferland is scheduled to play in Utica tomorrow. It'll be nice if he can get back up to speed for the stretch drive. Anything to give Green the excuse to get Loui out of the lineup.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Raging Fury wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:43 am Apparently Ferland is scheduled to play in Utica tomorrow. It'll be nice if he can get back up to speed for the stretch drive.
It doesn't matter how healthy he is, Dr Todd says "SHUT HIM DOWN!!" :lol:

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status ... 9858290692
Darren Dreger
@DarrenDreger

Micheal Ferland expected to play in Utica tomorrow. He’s healthy and should be back up with the Canucks sooner than later.
9:44 AM · Feb 13, 2020
____
Try to focus on someday.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:45 pm
Raging Fury wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:43 am Apparently Ferland is scheduled to play in Utica tomorrow. It'll be nice if he can get back up to speed for the stretch drive.
It doesn't matter how healthy he is, Dr Todd says "SHUT HIM DOWN!!" :lol:
For what it's worth, I do have my fingers crossed for Ferkland. Hopefully some of Tan-man's and Sutter's good health mojo will rub off on the Ferk. He'd be a nice addition if he can become the 2015 Ferland again, the one that destroyed us. I just hope he takes it slow and plays a more conservative game in the early going, no real need for him to be running around hitting everything that moves for a dozen games or so. Heck, just be a perimeter player for now.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Yeah, I was thinking that too. MG doesn't get alot of credit for the Luongo trade. Marky Mark has developed into an all-star and hopefully JB can find a way to resign him, so that he can continue to build himself into another Canuck great. Maybe the first Canuck goalie to backstop the team to a Cup win? One can hope. *hehe* I really liked the other guy we got in that trade as well: Shawn Matthias. Too bad JB couldn't find a way to keep him.

Man, that ceremony was interesting, just watched it now. So many former & present Nuck executives in the house with some much talked about bad blood between them with ownership sitting right in front of them. You have MG + Nonis, MG + Trev, Trev + JB. Yet, they all came out and put their grievances behind for the Sedins, at least for this nite. One thing those former executives have in common though: Nonis, MG + Trev must have been wishing they'd run into Aquallini in a back alley after the game, so that they can punch him out. :P

On a serious note, been a long time since I've seen Nonis and it was nice to see him in the house. Much like Burkie, he doesn't seem to be aging well though, so won't crack a burger joke. Man, he must have been sitting there thinking to Aqua: "and you wanted me to trade Kesler and Edler for B.Richards?" Kes became a selke winner, was a key player in the 2011 run and he got the franchise some good assets (Sutter & Pearson now); Edler is still playing and still the team's best all around D-man.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:00 am
Man, that ceremony was interesting, just watched it now. So many former & present Nuck executives in the house with some much talked about bad blood between them with ownership sitting right in front of them. You have MG + Nonis, MG + Trev, Trev + JB. Yet, they all came out and put their grievances behind for the Sedins, at least for this nite. One thing those former executives have in common though: Nonis, MG + Trev must have been wishing they'd run into Aquallini in a back alley after the game, so that they can punch him out. :P
Sportsnet 650@Sportsnet650
Gary Bettman, with a laugh: "It was nice to see the former GMs all got a nice ovation from the crowd. Sometimes fans can critical of hockey executives... You know, I think they had me confused with Roberto Luongo, because they kept going Lu Lu Lu Lu. Or was that boo boo boo boo?"
9:28 PM · Feb 12, 2020
interesting
"evolution"
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

The tankathon.com draft simulator currently has Tampa Bay picking 28th with our first round pick.

http://www.tankathon.com/nhl/mock_draft

So just imagine, we could wind up surrendering just the 28th in the JT Miller trade and still maybe get lucky and draft a stud right shot defenceman like Michael Benning in the second round after, who knows, maybe winning a round or two in the playoffs. Our luck has been so good this year I'm actually half expecting it all to unfold this way :D

https://sports.yahoo.com/michael-bennin ... 48793.html
el rey del mambo
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Gillis legacy - Markstrom (Luongo), Tanev, Horvat (Schneider)

That’s it
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:50 am The tankathon.com draft simulator currently has Tampa Bay picking 28th with our first round pick.

http://www.tankathon.com/nhl/mock_draft

So just imagine, we could wind up surrendering just the 28th in the JT Miller trade and still maybe get lucky and draft a stud right shot defenceman like Michael Benning in the second round after, who knows, maybe winning a round or two in the playoffs. Our luck has been so good this year I'm actually half expecting it all to unfold this way :D

https://sports.yahoo.com/michael-bennin ... 48793.html
Benning is a genius draftsmen, he’s very capable of digging up gems in the later rounds. He puts Topper to shame when it comes to geological discoveries. However Topper scored some pretty good stock options off his buddy Chuck Fipke when the two of them discovered those kimberlites in Lac De Gras NWTs
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:33 am

Gillis legacy - Markstrom (Luongo), Tanev, Horvat (Schneider)

That’s it
Markstrom’s great and all but I say our current management has much more to do with his success than gillis taking him back in a trade. At the time of the trade he was considered an add in. He needed massive amounts of development to get to where he is today. The season in Utica, and then not until Ian Clarke showed up has he really taken the next step. If we’re gonna credit somebody it should be Ian Clarke.