Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by Per »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:55 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:43 am Anson Carter jumping on the poor black me train i see...claiming his blackness was why the canucks chose to resign the sedins before him :lol:

Blackness Blackness Blackness!

End Swedish privilege!
Carter was black?!??

.. I only ever noticed his eyes..
I noticed the way his helmet sat on top of his head.

Best dreadlocks of the entire hockey world! :rockin:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Loui Eriksson is an afro swede
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

What’s Herb Daliwal going on about.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:24 pm Very real possibility that the NCAA cancels its entire season next year. Already Canadian universities are clawing back on athlectic scholarships as they will not start leagues this fall and probably not for the winter session either. Looking like Canadian universities will sacrifice entire athletic program. NCAA will likely follow suit. Without knowing what long term affects young athletes may suffer as a result of Covid a number of players and agents don't want the season to go ahead.
Meanwhile in Serbia, they are now playing football in filled stadiums again.
Take a look at the crowd footage; just like olden days before distancing and corona and shit.... makes my eyes well up....
Those were the days, my friend, we thought they'd never end....

Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:44 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:33 pm Dhaliwal's segment is chock full of content today; two of Tanev, Markstrom or Toffoli likely gone
Fucking Dhaliwal amirite. :lol:

Show a little imagination... punk!
Markström will stay if they want him to. He likes it in Vancouver and I'm sure he wants to see what the new young core can accomplish.
He is not going to ask for unreasonable money. I mean, sure, he probably wants a raise, but he knows that there's a cap and I'm sure he doesn't want to hurt his own chances of experiencing a cup run. He'll be reasonable.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

We will probably see a bunch of short term contracts as players bet on themselves and wait for the cap to go up, or they want to stay with a team.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:06 am We will probably see a bunch of short term contracts as players bet on themselves and wait for the cap to go up, or they want to stay with a team.
That would be great with Tanev, even Stetcher if they decide they need him

Toffoli will probably still require term IMHO
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:06 pm
Curmudgeon wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:19 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:33 pm Dhaliwal's segment is chock full of content today; not so fast with the return of Ferland, Reid Booucher likely gone, two of Tanev, Markstrom or Toffoli likely gone, Tryamkin signing blocked by cap issues, Baertchi in the Green dog house, AHL uncertainty blocking Rathbone signing, CFL no go without fans in the stands...

These ten minutes are more fun than root canal work, enjoy :wink:

https://post.futurimedia.com/ckstam/pla ... 859.117018

*edited for additional negativity :)
Hoping they can find a way to sign two of those three UFAs, expected one would go for sure, and it doesn't look good for Stecher either. The remaining Luongo years are a real killer.

Caught on CNN that some U.S. university athletics programs are experiencing an increase in coronavirus cases, I wonder what a cancelled hockey season will mean for the three guys the Canucks have down there and any potential draftees? Do they sign the three?
Yes the US was always going to be in tough mustering the discipline to get through this pandemic, no surprise there. I wonder how Boeser is making out in the shit storm in Minnesota. I hate getting into politics on a hockey forum but it isn't looking good there to me at the moment.

I have resigned myself a to this year being a painful one due to the cap problems, as long as we resign Markstrom I won't be complaining. It's just going to be one tough year and then we're back in business in '21 imho. I would like to finally give the likes of Sautner, Rafferty and Brisebois a look this coming season. I've been watching them closely on AHL.tv the past two seasons and I believe all three are close. Chatfield has some promise too, though it doesn't really show up in the stats. Olli Juolevi has a great skill set but he needs to recover the mobility he has lost from all of the surgeries. He's really slow out there. His passing is elite and his vision, pp blueline proficiency and defensive positioning are all there. Plus he's become Jay Beaglesque in his fearless shot blocking abilities. Hopefully the legs come back.
Signing Markstrom and Toffoli and trading Boeser for a Tanev replacement would make the most sense. Not sure how they accomplish that, it will be an offseason of "salary cap twister" if they pull it off though. Losing both Tanev and Stecher, especially if they don't make a trade or sign Tryamkin, is really going to force them to see what they have with the four Comets players. I haven't seen enough of them but trust your take here.
Curmudgeon
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Curmudgeon »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:24 pm Very real possibility that the NCAA cancels its entire season next year. Already Canadian universities are clawing back on athlectic scholarships as they will not start leagues this fall and probably not for the winter session either. Looking like Canadian universities will sacrifice entire athletic program. NCAA will likely follow suit. Without knowing what long term affects young athletes may suffer as a result of Covid a number of players and agents don't want the season to go ahead.
Hi. That could pose a real problem for NHL teams if they're at or near the ceiling with their number of contracts, no? McNally losing a season likely set him back, not that he was a blue chipper, but he was trending decently up to then. Maybe Europe could be an option for some.
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:50 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:13 pm
Strangelove wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:07 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:32 pm If we can ditch Sutter and Baertschi, we can keep all 3 of them
I have chosen to believe the rumour I heard about Loui retiring is true.
Is this a pipedream level rumour or something more substantial?
I do have a casual sometimes-source who told me Loui was considering retiring this off-season.

People don't have to believe me, but you asked, so.

I got this around Christmas time, but hey, "Loui considering retiring" is not something anyone should bank on.

Still though, I choose to believe Loui will retire.... and that and the concave Earth hypothesis is true. :mex:
Hope your source isn't this person:

Who the fuck is this guy??
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Curmudgeon wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:51 am
Signing Markstrom and Toffoli and trading Boeser for a Tanev replacement would make the most sense.
A few people are saying exactly that. I'm not convinced it makes the most sense. Boeser is 23. Toffoli 28.
Boeser's point per game% even with injuries, is superior to Toffoli's. His plus / minus is better too.

My personal opinion is that no one can think of any other way of addressing the desperate possible need for a proven, solid top four
defense man for the 20 /21 season.
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

The canucks really need Juolevi to turn a corner and become a player. Thats whats missing
If you need air...call it in
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Micky wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:29 am
Curmudgeon wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:51 am
Signing Markstrom and Toffoli and trading Boeser for a Tanev replacement would make the most sense.
A few people are saying exactly that. I'm not convinced it makes the most sense. Boeser is 23. Toffoli 28.
Boeser's point per game% even with injuries, is superior to Toffoli's. His plus / minus is better too.

My personal opinion is that no one can think of any other way of addressing the desperate possible need for a proven, solid top four
defense man for the 20 /21 season.
Hate to agree with Mick here - but just looking at what Edm. did with Hall/Larsen gives me great pause. Trading Boeser at this point in his career would be a bad idea, as I don't think we've seen his best (prime) yet - and you can't just trade away potential 30 goal scorers, especially with his character.

I'd rather try to bring in a middling 3-4 D, keep Edler and Hughes as our 1-2 - Hopefully Tanev as 3. Not sure what the price would be for a guy who could play in the 3-4 spot... but looking at the trade for Muzzin, not sure we can afford it. Go after an older UFA to gap-fill? Like a Dillon, or a Braun? At least until we have a clue as to what we have in Rathbone etc.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:53 am The canucks really need Juolevi to turn a corner and become a player. Thats whats missing
Ideally it’s woo that turns the corner, Joulevi, tyramkin, rathbone along with brisebois has the left side looking decent for the eventual edler retirement (although edler may still have another contract in him especially if he’s playing 3rd pairing minutes). I’m hoping we can move jake for a right side dman, from Carolina or New York. Brock is too good to move yet, give him another year with the improved top six.

Toffoli isn’t gonna get a substantial raise at all, his stats the last couple of years aren’t great. Not only that his wife works for the dodgers so he’ll want to stay on the west coast (with maybe Arizona or the avalanche as another option). If he chose the avs I doubt he gets McKinnon time compared to petey time with us, and Arizona is going nowhere. I could see him do a 2-3 year deal where he’s able to pad his stats so he could get a fat raise for his 30-31 yr old contract.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Trading Boeser just creates another hole in the line-up
Sign Tanev for short-term,draft another RS D-man & hope Woo or Rathbone develop