Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by Strangelove »

ESQ wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:58 pm
Strangelove wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:27 pm
(I guess his fiance must be a local girl)
Hm that could be, I would imagine the primo puck-bunny-types at the Rhode Island Institute of Technology are going after the airline mechanics instead of the hockey players!
Rochester.

Oh I'm sure Chris had his share of dat dere. :wink:

But it took a Vancouver girl to snag him I guess. (smile)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Micky wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:23 pm Pending UFA Chris Tanev feels at home with Canucks, hopes to stay
Iain MacIntyre@imacSportsnet
June 5, 2020, 9:30 AM
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/pen ... opes-stay/
“There are guys who really help other players along, and I would say Chris Tanev is one of those guys,” Canucks general manager Jim Benning said. “I’d like to try to figure out a way to bring Chris back because I think he’s a good leader and our younger players look up to him. He was an excellent mentor to Quinn Hughes. On the ice, they played really well together. I think they help each other.”

“I’ve been here now for 10 years and I’ve loved every minute of it,” Tanev said. “There’s definitely a trust between me and management and the ownership group, which has been awesome to me. Whether it’s one year or many years (on the next contract), I’d love to play my whole career here. Who knows what’s going to happen? But I love it here, I want to stay here, I think the team is going in the right direction and if we come back to play this year, I think we’re going to have a real good shot at competing and going far. I’d like to be part of that in the future.”
This is the first time weve heard anything more than fluff from Tanev about rejoining and its a good sign.

I suspect he may have either given it some more thought or else heard back from a team who had quietly expressed interest and things have changed.
If you need air...call it in
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

it's nice to see the comments from Tanev but I never really doubted that he would prefer to stay. He's been here from age 20-30 and those are big years in anyone's life. I'm sure he's accustomed to the place by now.
el rey del mambo
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:31 pm it's nice to see the comments from Tanev but I never really doubted that he would prefer to stay. He's been here from age 20-30 and those are big years in anyone's life. I'm sure he's accustomed to the place by now.
This.

The Canucks gave him a career through Dave Gagner. He’s been a warrior since he first tied up the skates for this team. It would be awesome for him to return. He doesn’t seem like like a greedy cunt
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:33 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:31 pm it's nice to see the comments from Tanev but I never really doubted that he would prefer to stay. He's been here from age 20-30 and those are big years in anyone's life. I'm sure he's accustomed to the place by now.
This.

The Canucks gave him a career through Dave Gagner. He’s been a warrior since he first tied up the skates for this team. It would be awesome for him to return. He doesn’t seem like like a greedy cunt
A year at the same salary (or ideally less) would be awesome, a couple of years at 3.5-4 would be amazing.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Having him say whether its one year or more......the guy gets it. Take a one year deal leading up to the expansion draft. That allows us to not use a spot to protect him as an UFA. It allows us to protect someone else. Thats a team guy who wants to be here. So a one year deal with a handshake and a promise to get a longer deal after the draft. Unfortunately he will want a NTC.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:34 am Having him say whether its one year or more......the guy gets it. Take a one year deal leading up to the expansion draft. That allows us to not use a spot to protect him as an UFA. It allows us to protect someone else. Thats a team guy who wants to be here. So a one year deal with a handshake and a promise to get a longer deal after the draft. Unfortunately he will want a NTC.
With Edler’s deal up before the ED, Myers NMC expiring after the next season and Hughes not needing to be protected, it won’t be an issue if Tanev signs a 2 or 3 year deal with NMC. But sure, a one year deal would be great.

Protect:
Tanev
Myers- NMC expires after the next season
and.....???

Stecher is probably gone after this year.

Juolevi and Tryamkin haven’t done near enough up to this point to justify being protected. I think it’s going to be trickier to sort out the forwards and goaltenders.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:52 pm
Micky wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:23 pm Pending UFA Chris Tanev feels at home with Canucks, hopes to stay
“There are guys who really help other players along, and I would say Chris Tanev is one of those guys,” Canucks general manager Jim Benning said. “I’d like to try to figure out a way to bring Chris back because I think he’s a good leader and our younger players look up to him. He was an excellent mentor to Quinn Hughes. On the ice, they played really well together. I think they help each other.”

“I’ve been here now for 10 years and I’ve loved every minute of it,” Tanev said. “There’s definitely a trust between me and management and the ownership group, which has been awesome to me. Whether it’s one year or many years (on the next contract), I’d love to play my whole career here. Who knows what’s going to happen? But I love it here, I want to stay here, I think the team is going in the right direction and if we come back to play this year, I think we’re going to have a real good shot at competing and going far. I’d like to be part of that in the future.”
This is the first time weve heard anything more than fluff from Tanev about rejoining and its a good sign.

I suspect he may have either given it some more thought or else heard back from a team who had quietly expressed interest and things have changed.
Nice to hear that, as HW said, Tanev understands what'll take to stay and avoid the expansion draft dilemma and in a year Brandon Sutter, Tanner Pearson, Benn contracts come off the books and a player/contract will get taken by Seattle, so he can get a longer term deal then no problem.

I'd first try to re-sign Edler though, brings more "intangibles" to the D-squad, the quality vet contenders love to have.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:00 am

I'd first try to re-sign Edler though, brings more "intangibles" to the D-squad, the quality vet contenders love to have.
Edler is signed for one more season
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

$8 million comes off the books after next season (2020-21) in Sutters and Pearsons contracts. That’s uuuuuge! Pearson won’t be coming back, unfortunately. I like him but he will be replaced by an entry level contact (Podkolzin, Hoglander or Lind). Sutters replacement is already here in Gaudette/MacEwan, cheaper contracts.

One more year after Sutter and Pearson are gone. $6 million in Roussel and Beagles contracts come off the books

Totally manageable. Benning has done a great job with with placement holder contracts. Eventually replaced as the prospects on entry level contracts mature. This is why Benning can no longer give away picks and prospects. That turning point is very near if not here already. This phase IMO will dictate Bennings job here. I’m curious to see how he manages a “Have” team
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:25 am $8 million comes off the books after next season (2020-21) in Sutters and Pearsons contracts. That’s uuuuuge! Pearson won’t be coming back, unfortunately. I like him but he will be replaced by an entry level contact (Podkolzin, Hoglander or Lind). Sutters replacement is already here in Gaudette/MacEwan, cheaper contracts.
So keep Pearson’s best buddy but not him?

MacEwen is not a centre

Benning has done a decent job with SOME of the placeholder contracts.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:34 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:25 am $8 million comes off the books after next season (2020-21) in Sutters and Pearsons contracts. That’s uuuuuge! Pearson won’t be coming back, unfortunately. I like him but he will be replaced by an entry level contact (Podkolzin, Hoglander or Lind). Sutters replacement is already here in Gaudette/MacEwan, cheaper contracts.
So keep Pearson’s best buddy but not him?

MacEwen is not a centre
It might have to come to that, and not like that has never happened. I also could see him resigning as well

Like Lind, MacEwan played centre all throughout Junior. Both are considered RW/C. It’s a position that isn’t new to them

That being said Sutter has played a lot of RW with the arrival of Gaudette which is also why I bring up MacEwan
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

The Canucks will get to see a better sample of Toffoli if the playoffs do happen. That would be useful in determining the right path.
I'm of the opinion that the 10 games played are not enough to justify a multi year, sizable contract on. Well aware, assets have already
been spent to bring him here. That shouldn't weigh in to the decision upcoming. Again, a quick little fairy tale run with Pettersson and Miller
isn't enough to make Boeser expendable. Toffoli is 28. He'll want 4 or 5 years at 5.5+, I would think. NO...

Chris Tanev is the consummate silent team leader and I'm happy his return is being seriously considered.
Can you imagine how helpful 3 more years of a healthy Tanev would be for this team? His smile says it all.
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:13 am

To clarify, just talking about a year from now IF Tanev signs a 1yr deal both will be UFA's, I'd prefer to try to re-sign Edler first and foremost.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Curmudgeon
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Curmudgeon »

SKYO wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:25 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:13 am

To clarify, just talking about a year from now IF Tanev signs a 1yr deal both will be UFA's, I'd prefer to try to re-sign Edler first and foremost.

Mind if I join you guys here? I was on HF Canucks for a bit but it wasn't the place for me.

Anyway, I'd agree with you even though the RH side doesn't look so good I'd want to sign Edler first. However, I wouldn't want to have to protect either player for the expansion draft.