Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by Madcombinepilot »

well, If JB is comfortable with Hoglander and Groot (Tryamkin) next year, that does give him some negotiating power when deling with everyone. Stetcher and Tanev accept cap friendly deals or one of them walks. Depietro makes sure Marky signs a fair deal, and Hoglander (and potentially Podkolzin) keep Toffoli honest.

While there is a lot of work to be done by JB, most of it will be determining the market value of players. After that, its just math and paperwork.

-- oh, and Trading Ericckkssoon
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:42 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:32 am I’m predicting Hoglander makes the NHL much sooner than we all think. The kid is a firecracker. Fast, skilled, super competitive, strong and smart. There’s no stopping this kid

Both him and Lockwood play a similar game, very good energy players with major chips on their shoulders. One is a Right Winger one is a left winger. It’s been a great spring of signings for Benning. Now on to Tryamkin and Rathbone
Easy there Bumpty...... the two signings were pretty much layups. The heavy lifting is still to come this summer whether there’s a bastardized ending to the season or not.
My biggest concern is rathbone, I think he’s ready for a bottom pairing role this season, problem is he’s another lefty, I really hope Travis is able to get over playing guys on their strong side this year, tyramkin is gonna have to play right side I think.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:00 am

He needs to retire. That's the only scenario I see where the Canucks see him gone unless they feel like retaining 4 of the 6 or something.

He's right there with David fuckin Clarkson in the worst free agent signing hall of shame ROI.
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:13 am

He needs to retire. That's the only scenario I see where the Canucks see him gone unless they feel like retaining 4 of the 6 or something.

He's right there with David fuckin Clarkson in the worst free agent signing hall of shame ROI.
Be hard for Louis to get up to speed when things resume. He could lose a step. :crazy:
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:04 pm
Strangelove wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:25 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:22 pm
Strangelove wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:27 pm
Per wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:58 pm Left or right?
If I were the one on the right I'd spend all day in bed abusing myself. ;)
In front of the mirror!
Yeah. I'd get a ceiling mirror and a bunch of sex toys.
Too late, a lot of stores are sold out.

Sales went up by 40%-300%, all that is left is the weird shit.
Weird shit eh.... Image
____
Try to focus on someday.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Micky wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:15 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:13 am

Be hard for Louis to get up to speed when things resume. He could lose a step. :crazy:
If his step is in the corner, behind the net, or in the crease, he'll never find it.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:36 pm
Micky wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:35 am Things can change real quick for a guy....
I know, right??

One day you Micky, posting links everywhere, the next Blobbie has named you gomer...
In fairness to Gomer107, it was he who first mentioned that name. I believe he did it because he in fact likes the name.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:50 pm
ESQ wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:41 am
Mëds wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:20 am
Strangelove wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:16 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:11 pm IF there's at least 1 CBO...
I now believe that won't happen. :|
I don't think a compliance buy-out will happen either.

But I do think a Covid buy-out will likely happen. :P

In all seriousness I think it still happens. Enough teams were going to be strapped close to the cap with players to re-sign, not just the Canucks. Most, if not all, GM's build their roster's cap structure with an eye on the future that assumes the salary cap will continue to increase as profits increase.

This is an unforeseen circumstance and too many good players are free agents this summer who won't be getting paid as expected. I can see the owners, GM's, and PA, all pushing for this.
I'm with Mëds - I think the players will look at the massive boost in HRR coming in 21/22 (Seattle expansion fee plus another sold-out arena for at least the first year), and they opt to jack up escrow to smooth the curve, rather than a steep decline in 20/21, maybe another in 21/22 if next season is also shortened, then an enormous jump the following season. That would screw with two years' worth of FAs, to the enormous benefit of FAs in 22/23.
I'm not sure if you guys understand this fact:

The NHL and NHLPA can negotiate any salary cap number they want.

(regardless of if P/Os are canceled and $1B in revenue is lost)

And from how I understand it, it is in the best interests of both to go with a flat cap if that revenue is lost.

ESQ wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:41 am And the extra injection of owner's money going to players through buy outs
WHOA NELLY! That's not just the owner's money Bucko, that is also the player's money!

CBOs directly affect HRR, meaning every CBO hits the players in the pocketbooks.

The last round of CBO's cost the players over 3% of their salaries.

(note: last time CBOs could not be avoided, this time they can be avoided)

ESQ wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:41 am , with I'm sure a majority of owners in favor of, means CoBOs will happen if the cap drops.
Again, the NHL and NHLPA can negotiate any salary cap number they want.

(you make it sound as though a cap drop is out of their control)

Secondly, if the cap WERE to drop, what makes you so "sure a majority of owners would be in favor of CBOs"?

CBOs help the very rich teams and those in a massive cap crunch... that's not "the majority of teams".

But as I said, there is no need to let the cap drop, so this is mute as far as I'm concerned.

ESQ wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:41 am The NHL is a business, the owners want to make money, they aren't going to sabotage themselves just to appease the accountants.
I think I've already answered this question in my post... unless I'm missing something?

Anyway, if "owners like to make money" they will say 'no' to CBOs.

Likewise, if the players like money, they will say 'no' to CBOs.

If the season/POs are canceled, the players will already be in a position where they have to pay back the owners

... they're definitely not going to want to add to that pain with CBOs.

As I've mentioned a few times, if P/Os are canceled, there won't be enough in escrow to reimburse the owners.

(players are effectively paid playoff revenues in advance of the playoffs)

So what would happen is they would get a smaller percentage of the pie the next season to make up for it.

(instead of their usual 50% of the pie, maybe they only get something like 45%?)

(this is in the CBA, although the two sides could agree to spread that payback over 2 or 3 seasons)

Yeahno, a flat cap makes the most sense for both sides, which is why you see that rumoured everywhere...
https://twitter.com/SBekovic/status/1255904047141396485
Slavko Bekovic
@SBekovic

In the latest 31 Thoughts Podcast, Elliotte Friedman says #NHL owners are "dead-set against compliance buyouts."

9:57 AM · Apr 30, 2020
Owners don't want CBOs, players don't want CBOs, just the fans want CBOs. :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Pierre LeBrun@PierreVLeBrun
I would say the Canucks are among the teams that may have warmed up to the June draft idea if it means following the proposed layout in Friday’s NHL memo. They would much rather give up a non-lottery 1st RD pick to NJ now than an unprotected 1st RD pick next year.
9:14 AM · May 3, 2020
unprotected 1st round pick next year?...It means the team won't receive the pick if it's in the top 3, they'll get next years 1st instead.

I did not know this.
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Micky wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:34 pm
Pierre LeBrun@PierreVLeBrun
I would say the Canucks are among the teams that may have warmed up to the June draft idea if it means following the proposed layout in Friday’s NHL memo. They would much rather give up a non-lottery 1st RD pick to NJ now than an unprotected 1st RD pick next year.
9:14 AM · May 3, 2020
unprotected 1st round pick next year?
Well of course the pick would be unprotected if it ends up being in 2021.

How else could it possibly work? :eh:

Micky wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:34 pm It means the team won't receive the pick if it's in the top 3, they'll get next years 1st instead.

I did not know this.
Not sure what you are trying to say but...

Non-lottery pick does not mean non-top-3, same as your lottery ticket doesn't mean you've won a major windfall.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

FFS Micky, it's so difficult to interpret your posts sometimes!

So to be clear.

Lebrun is telling us that the NHL has proposed using points% to determine the final standings

... and that in this scenario the Canucks 1st would not land in the top 15

... and that therefore this "non-lottery" pick would go to the Devils

... and that the Canucks are happy with this because it's better than giving up an unprotected 2021 1st.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Strangelove wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 1:18 pm FFS Micky, it's so difficult to interpret your posts sometimes!

So to be clear.

Lebrun is telling us that the NHL has proposed using points% to determine the final standings

... and that in this scenario the Canucks 1st would not land in the top 15

... and that therefore this "non-lottery" pick would go to the Devils

... and that the Canucks are happy with this because it's better than giving up an unprotected 2021 1st.
Ya, I know but I for one am confident we will finish a fair bit higher than 15th or 16th next season. The standings are what they are but
I would have rather taken my chances on a pick in the 18 / 19 range for this draft.
Who cares. we had games in hand so it's right. The draft looks to happen on time so that's great.
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

To me the only thing that potentially sucks, is that if we proceed with the draft the way described Benning has no chance to recover that pick, or the 2nd rounder. Under a normal season completed he would have had potential to try and make draft week deals. I say potential because he didn't have much that he wanted to trade that would warrant a 1st coming back, but maybe a 2nd or 2.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 3:46 pm To me the only thing that potentially sucks, is that if we proceed with the draft the way described Benning has no chance to recover that pick, or the 2nd rounder. Under a normal season completed he would have had potential to try and make draft week deals. I say potential because he didn't have much that he wanted to trade that would warrant a 1st coming back, but maybe a 2nd or 2.
Elmer wouldn’t have recovered the 1st or 2nd rounder unless he put a good piece on the table. Like Virtanen or Boeser. Let’s be reality here HW, you’ve been out chasing the dragon with the Chef and you’re just throwing blobs of shit against the wall hoping some of it will stick. :twisted:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Did Doyle see Otis giving it to Barney Fife? Is Otis a replica of Doyle or what?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau