Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by Mickey107 »

Toby Kerr
Jakob Markstrom has just announced that his father has succumbed to cancer. All the best to Markstrom and his family at this incredibly tough time, for Canucks fans this explains his earlier leave of absence from the team.
4:58 PM · Nov 10, 2019
More;
His father died between friday and saturday. His time away from the team was probably him saying goodbye. They knew he was leaving them shortly.
His brother is a soccer goalkeeper and played his last game of the season last weekend. He felt that he had to play because his dad was watching from home and he figured it would probably be the last game he would ever see him play.
Hang in there Marky. Don't drink for two years like I did.
Last edited by Mickey107 on Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"evolution"
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

micky107 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:15 am
Toby Kerr
Jakob Markstrom has just announced that his father has succumbed to cancer. All the best to Markstrom and his family at this incredibly tough time, for Canucks fans this explains his earlier leave of absence from the team.
Losing a parent is always tough. :cry:
This could explain why he hasn't seemed as focused recently.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Condolences to Marky's family.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Tough loss for Marky - but was it in the team's best interests to play him during this tough time? Everyone saw and commented how he was 'not sharp' - and I'm sure the coaching staff must have seen it too.

It's not like Demko couldn't hold down the fort for a few games while Markstrom got back into things.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Cornuck wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:20 am Tough loss for Marky - but was it in the team's best interests to play him during this tough time? Everyone saw and commented how he was 'not sharp' - and I'm sure the coaching staff must have seen it too.

It's not like Demko couldn't hold down the fort for a few games while Markstrom got back into things.
I know right? Here we have a premium young goalie who could take the job and run with it indefinitely but we insist on throwing the guy with family issues in there day after day.

The lineup decisions by the canucks coaching staff have been fucked for how many years?

Please Travis.. can we please please please see more of lazy Looey and his amazing stick checking?
If you need air...call it in
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Toby Kerr
WTF good does that do? Clearly you arent of Irish descent. We ramp our swilling up when the rellies die. Its how they would want us to mourn
If you need air...call it in
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:44 am
Cornuck wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:20 am Tough loss for Marky - but was it in the team's best interests to play him during this tough time? Everyone saw and commented how he was 'not sharp' - and I'm sure the coaching staff must have seen it too.

i

I know right? Here we have a premium young goalie who could take the job and run with it indefinitely but we insist on throwing the guy with family issues in there day after day.

The lineup decisions by the canucks coaching staff have been fucked for how many years?

Please Travis.. can we please please please see more of lazy Looey and his amazing stick checking?
Marky wanted to play, his dad wanted to watch him play before he passed away. The team was doing marky and his dad a solid.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:21 am

i

Marky wanted to play, his dad wanted to watch him play before he passed away. The team was doing marky and his dad a solid.
Ah - in that context it makes more sense. I didn't know the backstory.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Cornuck wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:23 am
Richardstroker69 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:21 am

i

Ah - in that context it makes more sense. I didn't know the backstory.
I saw that on reddit, he had gone back to say his goodbyes during his time off, and his dad wanted to watch him play some more games, still has to be tough for marky though. I know when our family dealt with terminal illness it almost becomes a relief when they pass especially if they were suffering, hopefully this gives marky some peace.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

For guys like Markstrom (and this applies to piles of players) the rink is their chapel. The game and the team is where they find support and meaning. Taking that away without giving Markstrom the choice can sometimes be more harmful for his mindset overall.

Hopefully this is a case of the team taking one for a player that then turns into a momentum builder.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Mëds wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:50 am

For guys like Markstrom (and this applies to piles of players) the rink is their chapel. The game and the team is where they find support and meaning. Taking that away without giving Markstrom the choice can sometimes be more harmful for his mindset overall.

Hopefully this is a case of the team taking one for a player that then turns into a momentum builder.
Yeah, I can relate to that. A lot of people take a lot of time off when a family member dies. And sure, I needed a day to be there and say goodbye. Absolutely. And I had taken time off to visit my parents while they were sick. But after they died, I went straight back to work. At work I can keep my mind off those things. Sitting at home, you just get miserable. Better to keep busy at work and focus on something else.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Toby Kerr
So you drank for two years or didn’t have a drink for two years?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:46 am So you drank for two years or didn’t have a drink for two years?
I was bad, I'd start at 9am or earlier and work, drive with the bottle between my legs. Get home around 6pm. Eat half a can of nuts.
Then start building stuff in the shed. Cabinets, bird-houses, etc. Come back in the house and write music on the electric keyboard.
Fuck around on the PC, then finally BBQ and eat a big ribeye steak at around 11;30 pm. Sleep till round 4am and jog 3 or 4 Kms.
Get the kid to school, on and on. Every other day, I'd sneak off to drop-in hockey around 1pm.
When I was in the shed in the evening I'd be listening to 10:40 am and call in all the time. They gave me alot of air time.
It was Troy from White Rock and me: Mike from Richmond. I never got in any trouble and that is incredible cause I was a jerk beyond belief.
I'd pick fights with anyone, didn't matter how big, how many. Hard to believe I remember so much.
I know; TMI. :oops:
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Well, I guess something was gonna happen. I guess I'll keep my peace for now but my first impression was not so good...

Lines in practice:

Leivo-Pettersson-Boeser
Baertschi-Horvat-Miller
Pearson-Sutter-Virtanen
Schaller-Gaudette-Eriksson
Roussel

Edler-Myers
Hughes-Tanev
Benn-Stecher
Fantenberg-Chatfield

*Jay Beagle is not on the ice*
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Meh.... give it a whirl and spread the wealth around. Funny that Roussel was out there. He won’t be back for three weeks rom what I had heard. Horvat has to play better, he hasn’t been a scrub like some people suggested but he needs to find another gear. Hopefully Beaglet is just having a maintenance day. Eriksson can beat it.

That good start will be a distant memory if they don’t win at least 2/3 of these tough home games before they go on the road. Sure they had a cupcake schedule to start the season but they were skating a lot better than they are now.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”