Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by ESQ »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:41 pm I don’t buy any of that crap ESQ. All I’m saying is they could do a lot worse than having Stecher on the third pair. He’s probably good enough to crack anybody’s top six albeit on most teams bottom pair. He is cheap labour, seems like a good kid, he’s local and seems well liked by his teammates.
Ya, I think you've persuaded me - on the third pair. But last season he was on the top pair for significant chunks of time, and he was way out of his depth. Meanwhile some fancy-stats darlings are trying to convince you that he's the best defencemen the Canucks have.

Check out his game log from February on - he was playing 25+ minutes, and the Canucks went 4-9-3.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

All of you guys make solid points re: Stecher. Yes, he's a solid 3rd pairing if minutes and opposition are kept low.

I also hate the years of media spin of the analytics to constantly push the narrative (we know which one that is) when in truth, anyone who wasn't a healthy Tanev and Edler sucked. So basically, the entire D corps has sucked for years.

Stecher isn't even close to being the Nucks best defenceman. He is a very good option for this team... until he isn't anymore.

One other thing that never gets mentioned. Last season, he was like the 6th most smashed Dman in the league. He's probably tops in that category every year he plays. If he wasn't so durable for his size (for now), we wouldn't even be having this discussion.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:02 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:41 pm I don’t buy any of that crap ESQ. All I’m saying is they could do a lot worse than having Stecher on the third pair. He’s probably good enough to crack anybody’s top six albeit on most teams bottom pair. He is cheap labour, seems like a good kid, he’s local and seems well liked by his teammates.
Ya, I think you've persuaded me - on the third pair. But last season he was on the top pair for significant chunks of time, and he was way out of his depth. Meanwhile some fancy-stats darlings are trying to convince you that he's the best defencemen the Canucks have.

Check out his game log from February on - he was playing 25+ minutes, and the Canucks went 4-9-3.
They had nobody else after Tanev got hurt. Gudbranson was horrendous for most of his time here. Of course Stecher shouldn’t play that much. To me he should top out at 15-17 min.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Raile
MVP
MVP

Post by Raile »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:06 pm Why not see if fantenberger steals his job because its not as far fetched as some might think
Isn't this going to happen by default just by signing Fantenberger to the team and having a pre-season? Why actively try and get rid of Stetcher?

(just chiming in, I'm on Blob's side of not understanding the hate)
Raile
MVP
MVP

Post by Raile »

ESQ wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:02 pm But last season he was on the top pair for significant chunks of time, and he was way out of his depth. Meanwhile some fancy-stats darlings are trying to convince you that he's the best defencemen the Canucks have.
Wasn't he on the top pair because our D was bad and often injured? We've improved our D this year, so there's really no need for a repeat of that situation.

Seems a bit overkill to react to a blogger bigging him up to wanting him off your team!

Again, I don't get this hatred. Local, puts his heart in to every shift, cheap. If you and UDL are right, he'll play himself off the team in a few weeks. What's the issue?
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Raile wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:12 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:06 pm Why not see if fantenberger steals his job because its not as far fetched as some might think
Isn't this going to happen by default just by signing Fantenberger to the team and having a pre-season? Why actively try and get rid of Stetcher?

Lol oh ya. :lol:

Fuck youre right.

Ok how about....

I think we see Fanty-raid usurping stretcher at camp.
If you need air...call it in
Raile
MVP
MVP

Post by Raile »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:41 pm
Raile wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:12 pm

Lol oh ya. :lol:

Fuck youre right.

Ok how about....

I think we see Fanty-raid usurping stretcher at camp.
well, we'll know soon enough ;)
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Raile wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:17 pm
ESQ wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:02 pm But last season he was on the top pair for significant chunks of time, and he was way out of his depth. Meanwhile some fancy-stats darlings are trying to convince you that he's the best defencemen the Canucks have.
Wasn't he on the top pair because our D was bad and often injured? We've improved our D this year, so there's really no need for a repeat of that situation.

Seems a bit overkill to react to a blogger bigging him up to wanting him off your team!

Again, I don't get this hatred. Local, puts his heart in to every shift, cheap. If you and UDL are right, he'll play himself off the team in a few weeks. What's the issue?
I don't personally hate him, I was just explaining why I think the hate is there.
Raile wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:12 pm Why actively try and get rid of Stetcher?
No point trying to get rid of him, because imo his trade value is so low. I wouldn't trade him for a3rd rounder, because what's the point?

If at any point Stecher has any meaningful value, I would absolutely trade him.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:49 am ummm.. I think you mean a solid BACKUP NHL Goaltender.. :P
Well, Lack played like 40 games in each season as a Canuck, basically a 50% split, so he was like a solid 1B NHL goaltender. :D

Uncle dans leg wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:32 am Stretcher needs to be on another team by oct 3.
I like Stech and all as he's a local kid and I think he's a good player to have around in the reg season, but I'm not sure we'll thrive in the playoffs with him in the lineup.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:05 pm
I like Stech and all as he's a local kid and I think he's a good player to have around in the reg season, but I'm not sure we'll thrive in the playoffs with him in the lineup.
So as the conversation concludes, we have decided to use the fuck out of Stecher in the regular season because he is adequate for the team's
needs, THEN, when our playoffs start, (playoffs achieved at least party because of Stecher), we plant his puny hometown kid ass
in the press box and give Kalamazoo Utica a call ordering them to send the Fantanburger ? guy with his massive playoff experience, to
serve as his replacement. Got it.

It's the name, isn't it? Nobody wants to yell Troy! Troy! Troy!, Go Troy! It's ick, mmm?
Vancouver Canuck fans could really get in to Oscar! Oscar! Nail him Oscar, crush him.
But Wait :shock: There's more, and I know it!
What "Peeps" really want is a certain defensive pairing, isn't it. Come-on, you know where I'm going with this.

OSCAR/MEYERS>>>>only one letter. since when does anyone give a flying encounter about spelling around here?

Canucks Muse n Dotes 2019-2020
"evolution"
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

micky107 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:04 am
What "Peeps" really want is a certain defensive pairing, isn't it. Come-on, you know where I'm going with this.

OSCAR/MEYERS>>>>only one letter. since when does anyone give a flying encounter about spelling around here?

That might be your single best insight on this here forum. Kudos :drink: :drink:
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

BingoTough wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:57 am

That might be your single best insight on this here forum. Kudos :drink: :drink:
Brings the mustard to play ketchup.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:58 am Why are we lumping Stecher in with that mouth breather?

Don’t quite understand the hate the kid gets. He makes fuck all and he competes hard every night. Local kid to boot and a legit NHLer. By contrast an inferior and far more expensive player in Erik Gudbranson got miles of rope on this board.
Stencher handles the puck like a hot potato, there’s nothing graceful about his game, but I like his heart and try and he’s local, good local like Cliff Ronning and not like Mr. Absent Minded Virtanen.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Lol. Yup. It prolly was!! Funny af!
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

:lol:

Mick busy memorizing his been to the mountaintop speech as we speak
If you need air...call it in