Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by Mickey107 »

Cap Friendly>>>>>>>>these dudes are quick.
https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks

650am saying by with some player maneuvering, Technically, they still still go as high as 7, even 7.5 for Brock.
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:38 am Jake is a deal, cheap, fooking keep him for sure. The get rid of list:

Eriksson
Schaller
Sutter
Baertschi

Miller Pettersson Boeser
Pearson Horvat Goldobin
Ferland Gaudette Virtanen
Roussel Beagle Leivo
Agreed. But if it costs us Jake to move Ericksson I’d reluctantly by ok with that. In a dream world we dump the above four mentioned with zero pain attached. Dream world.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Ferland played great alongside some talented players in Calgary and the Hurricanes, so he could play successfully with Petey and Boeser as well while providing some protection for our star players.

And try Miller beside Pearson + Horvat.

Green has a lot of options now!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Lancer wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:16 pm As others have said, lining Ferland and Virtanen on a 3rd line would be a terror on the forecheck. Can people just give it a rest on trying to get Virtanen out of here??? I just don't get the hate, or the devaluation, or whatever you want to call it. Virtanen is not a deal-sweetener, he's a significant piece of any deal Benning is foolish enough to make involving the player right now. He's improved every year and I think we haven't seen the best of him yet. It would be a shame to see what he becomes in a different jersey.

Bodies will move, but I like this signing. Maybe Benning is getting better at this UFA business... :roll:
It looks like it, it's a solid piece of business in the context of some of the contracts Jimbo has given out.

My one quibble is the NMC/NTC - for a guy who bitched and moaned about all the NTCs Gillis gave out he's now given out 7 of them to marginal players like Beagle, Sutter, Roussel, Edler, Myers and Loui. I get giving out no trades is part of the deal with FAs but he's somewhat hamstrung himself and it's not like these guys are world beaters.

Your thoughts Dude?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Unconfirmed report:

Today @ 3:29 PM ET
Deal contains NMC in first 2 years then a Modified NTC in last 2 years. Also contains 2 million signing bonus.

Not sure if this means he has to be protected in the expansion draft because is full NMC runs until June 30th.
The only HW the Canucks need
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Good signing for you guys.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:22 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:38 am Jake is a deal, cheap, fooking keep him for sure. The get rid of list:

Eriksson
Schaller
Sutter
Baertschi

Miller Pettersson Boeser
Pearson Horvat Goldobin
Ferland Gaudette Virtanen
Roussel Beagle Leivo
Agreed. But if it costs us Jake to move Ericksson I’d reluctantly by ok with that. In a dream world we dump the above four mentioned with zero pain attached. Dream world.
Ideally keep Jake though it depends on the deals on the table. I'm not sure I'd move Loui with another 1st for example if Jake could get it done instead.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:48 pm Unconfirmed report:

Deal contains NMC in first 2 years then a Modified NTC in last 2 years. Also contains 2 million signing bonus.

Not sure if this means he has to be protected in the expansion draft because is full NMC runs until June 30th.
I thought he would have to be protected for the same reasons you do, but rumour is he can be exposed. Perhaps they put an additional clause in the contract permitting that?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

BCExpat wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:49 pm Good signing for you guys.
:thumbs:

Sekeres:
His NMC turns into a modified NTC for 3rd year of deal so he does not require expansion draft protection.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

SKYO wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:57 pm
BCExpat wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:49 pm Good signing for you guys.
:thumbs:

Sekeres:
His NMC turns into a modified NTC for 3rd year of deal so he does not require expansion draft protection.
If Sekeres is accurate, definitely a good contractual structure. Still would like to know what the details of the modified NTC are.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

micky107 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:17 pm .
Cap Friendly>>>>>>>>these dudes are quick.
https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks

650am saying by with some player maneuvering, Technically, they still still go as high as 7, even 7.5 for Brock.
Nah, doesn't allow for bonuses and that means placing some massive contracts in the AHL. It's technically possible but isn't going to happen.

I'm always amazed at how little the local media knows about the salary cap and how it works. The one exception is Ryan Biech who knows it well, but the rest of them have no idea.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

SKYO wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:41 pm Ferland played great alongside some talented players in Calgary and the Hurricanes, so he could play successfully with Petey and Boeser as well while providing some protection for our star players.

And try Miller beside Pearson + Horvat.

Green has a lot of options now!
I like the way you think Skyo!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

The Official Company announcement ;

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancou ... -308230376

Was hoping for something live.
"evolution"
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:36 am
Tciso wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:19 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:59 am Man if they land Ferlund you know 2-3 forwards have to go. Other than the obvious Ericksson, perhaps they will unload Virtanen now.
Only if Jake is a throw-in on the deal that unloads Loui. Jake is way too cheap this year to trade. He's played above his cap hit last year, and likely will again this year. And, he doesn't save us any real cap if we trade him. Sending Schaller to Utica saves $1,025,000. Trading Jake only saves an extra $175,000.
Yes that’s what I clarified.
Sorry, I saw that just a few minutes ago.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Lancer wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:16 pm As others have said, lining Ferland and Virtanen on a 3rd line would be a terror on the forecheck. Can people just give it a rest on trying to get Virtanen out of here??? I just don't get the hate, or the devaluation, or whatever you want to call it. Virtanen is not a deal-sweetener, he's a significant piece of any deal Benning is foolish enough to make involving the player right now. He's improved every year and I think we haven't seen the best of him yet. It would be a shame to see what he becomes in a different jersey.

Bodies will move, but I like this signing. Maybe Benning is getting better at this UFA business... :roll:
Agreed. Ferland might be the role model that Virtanen needs. There are a lot of players that should be moved before Virtanen.

Eriksson could get some interests from teams that need to get to the cap floor (Ottawa). Once his bonus is paid, he is basically a $3m per year (actual salary) for the next 3 years but with a cap of $6 million.

Sutter could be traded for a pick.

Baertschi might not play another game in the NHL...

A lot of things could happen between now and October.