Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by Hockey Widow »

The only HW the Canucks need
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:54 am Perhaps he has a deal or two lined up but was waiting to ink Ferland.

I suggested moving Virtanen as a sweetener in moving Ericksson. Virtanen is young, cheap and expendable now (if Ferland signs) Virtanen might be what it takes to move Louie.
Normally a GM would have something lined up and make a trade as soon as they sign a deal like this, but Jimbo has proven over the years he's been here that he doesn't think of possibilities like that. I could be wrong, but my guess is he's signed Ferland and will figure it out later. If that's the case I expect a significant asset to go out the door to get rid of some money.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Just leave Jake out of this!
Jake stays!
If you don’t like it, go shotgun some beers until you do.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:28 am https://www.tsn.ca/vancouver-canucks-si ... -1.1335610

Good job Jim
Yep it's a nice signing at those numbers - again a year too long but that's to be expected in FA. At least Bo has a winger to play with and the team should be better with Ferland in the lineup.

I'm not fully evaluating this deal until we see who is leaving given this contract. There were too many bodies on the roster before the off-season started and now that Jimbo has signed Myers, Benn and Ferland it's even more critical to move some out.

It seems as if Aquaman and Jimbo both believe the rebuild is truly over - given the only guys left on the team under 23 are Petey, Brock, Jake and Hughes this will not be a young team next year.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Tciso wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:19 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:59 am Man if they land Ferlund you know 2-3 forwards have to go. Other than the obvious Ericksson, perhaps they will unload Virtanen now.
Only if Jake is a throw-in on the deal that unloads Loui. Jake is way too cheap this year to trade. He's played above his cap hit last year, and likely will again this year. And, he doesn't save us any real cap if we trade him. Sending Schaller to Utica saves $1,025,000. Trading Jake only saves an extra $175,000.
Yes that’s what I clarified.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Jake is a deal, cheap, fooking keep him for sure. The get rid of list:

Eriksson
Schaller
Sutter
Baertschi

Miller Pettersson Boeser
Pearson Horvat Goldobin
Ferland Gaudette Virtanen
Roussel Beagle Leivo
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:36 am
Tciso wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:19 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:59 am Man if they land Ferlund you know 2-3 forwards have to go. Other than the obvious Ericksson, perhaps they will unload Virtanen now.
Only if Jake is a throw-in on the deal that unloads Loui. Jake is way too cheap this year to trade. He's played above his cap hit last year, and likely will again this year. And, he doesn't save us any real cap if we trade him. Sending Schaller to Utica saves $1,025,000. Trading Jake only saves an extra $175,000.
Yes that’s what I clarified.
What most (all) seem to forget is they need to be in the range of $3 million under the cap this season otherwise the bonuses in contracts carry over to next. Given they need to sign Marky, Stecher, Gaudette, 2 more forwards and another 3 dmen with +/- $20 million in cap space next year they could hoop themselves if they go over this year.

Must be something else in the works, I assume Tanev, Sutter, Loui, and probably 2-3 guys we haven't mentioned too much are being shopped as I write this.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Diehard1 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:34 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:28 am https://www.tsn.ca/vancouver-canucks-si ... -1.1335610

Good job Jim
Yep it's a nice signing at those numbers - again a year too long but that's to be expected in FA. At least Bo has a winger to play with and the team should be better with Ferland in the lineup.
Like it! A year too long, but I'd rather an extra year than extra dollars. Another victim of the stagnant cap?

We were desperate for someone like this. Makes the Canucks that much harder to play against.

Someone needs to get shipped out, we now need the cap space for Brock.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

I’m not sure how much cap the Canucks have to worry about.
I think if Boeser is signing for only 4 years as rumoured, the cap hit will be much lower than expected.
Personally if he were signing long term, I’d say 7x7m or 8x8m is approximately what we should expect.
If his contract is not buying into FA years it should be significantly less, maybe 4x5m or 4x5.5m
We’ll see, I haven’t crushed the numbers, but maybe just sending some guys to Utica will be enough?
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

I like this signing, 3.5 is an excellent cap hit, the 4 years doesn't bother me too much. If he is irrelevant in the 4th year he will probably be on LTIR at that point due to concussions.

My guess is someone is heading down to the AHL? Or, Eriksson will be traded after July 15 (apparently that is when he is getting his bonus), he could be attractive to a team that wants to reach the cap floor with only having to pay 9mil over the final 3 years of his contract.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Cherry Picker wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:44 am I’m not sure how much cap the Canucks have to worry about.
I think if Boeser is signing for only 4 years as rumoured, the cap hit will be much lower than expected.
Personally if he were signing long term, I’d say 7x7m or 8x8m is approximately what we should expect.
If his contract is not buying into FA years it should be significantly less, maybe 4x5m or 4x5.5m
We’ll see, I haven’t crushed the numbers, but maybe just sending some guys to Utica will be enough?
Sending guys to Utica could be enough to get just under the cap assuming Brock comes in around the $6.5 million range. It won't account for bonuses though unless we think Petey will regress massively and Hughes won't get any.

There's definitely more to come, hopefully via trade.
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Gotta say, "Great signing, JB!"

When ya add it all up, he really has transformed the Canucks this off-season (and he did it w/o my incredible wisdom/input :| )

Really looking fwd to seeing how it all pans out this season; Canucks should be much more grittier, and more difficult as a team to play against.
cc oldtimer
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:40 am
Diehard1 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:34 am

Good job Jim
Like it! A year too long, but I'd rather an extra year than extra dollars. Another victim of the stagnant cap?

We were desperate for someone like this. Makes the Canucks that much harder to play against.

Someone needs to get shipped out, we now need the cap space for Brock.
Subject to concussions and what JB does to clear space now, I like the signing. Reasonable price for what he brings but as many have said a year too long.

Also not sure what trade protections were handed out (if any). Haven't taken the time to see how expansion protection looks but that could be a significant factor. Definitely need to take stock of all the recent activity and see how that affects our ability to protect key players.

Sure seems like JB thinks the rebuild is done at this point notwithstanding all the slag he has to somehow flog on other teams. I guess if the rebuild is actually over we can just package all our future draft picks as we won't be needing them. :eh:
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Perfect guy to play on Petey's line. Move Miller to play with Bo and we have our top 6!

(And Virtanen still waiting in the wings!)
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

As others have said, lining Ferland and Virtanen on a 3rd line would be a terror on the forecheck. Can people just give it a rest on trying to get Virtanen out of here??? I just don't get the hate, or the devaluation, or whatever you want to call it. Virtanen is not a deal-sweetener, he's a significant piece of any deal Benning is foolish enough to make involving the player right now. He's improved every year and I think we haven't seen the best of him yet. It would be a shame to see what he becomes in a different jersey.

Bodies will move, but I like this signing. Maybe Benning is getting better at this UFA business... :roll:
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.