Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by Mickey107 »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:42 pm Would love to see Boeser signed before handing out ufa contracts. I wonder if that'll go smooth...
I think it should have gone the other way around in that Boeser, his agent and Benning announced his new contract in May
and that it was a delightful and quick negotiation, a slam dunk. Great message...
Now it's' a matter, (probably a matter),, of signing the big splashes and then spending most of the remaining summer wheeling
and dealing to make room for Boeser's new deal.

It's beyond my comprehension that Brock, via his agent, have been trying for ridiculous numbers like 7.8 or 8 for 4 years.
"evolution"
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

micky107 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:26 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:42 pm Would love to see Boeser signed before handing out ufa contracts. I wonder if that'll go smooth...
I think it should have gone the other way around in that Boeser, his agent and Benning announced his new contract in May
and that it was a delightful and quick negotiation, a slam dunk. Great message...
Now it's' a matter, (probably a matter),, of signing the big splashes and then spending most of the remaining summer wheeling

It's beyond my comprehension that Brock, via his agent, have been trying for ridiculous numbers like 7.8 or 8 for 4 years.
Not sure where you heard that rumour. Probably the same place that it was Edler for 7x3 and EK was coming to Van for 11mil...

Last reported was that Jimbro and Brock would get it done later in the summer...
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:30 pm

Not sure where you heard that rumour. Probably the same place that it was Edler for 7x3 and EK was coming to Van for 11mil...

Last reported was that Jimbro and Brock would get it done later in the summer...
I didn't say it was a rumor. Was using a crazy narrative to ask the question: Why does his contract have to wait?
"evolution"
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

No time right now.

They didn't want to talk during the season. After the season, Jimbro wants a week or 2 to assess the team, talk to coaches, etc, determine needs from his professional view (opposed to all of us armchair bastards), then they focus on the draft, then FA, then resigning in late summer. It's been his MO for 5 years. Why are we surprised now??
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Now it's' a matter, (probably a matter),, of signing the big splashes and then spending most of the remaining summer wheeling and dealing to make room for Boeser's new deal.
Not gunna happen, no wheeling/dealing necessary, Canucks have plenty of room, try to relax my friend. :mex:

micky107 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:26 pm It's beyond my comprehension that Brock, via his agent, have been trying for ridiculous numbers like 7.8 or 8 for 4 years.
That is beyond everyone's comprehension because it's not happening, try to relax my friend. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Yeah there is no reason to stress, at all, about Boeser. The player has zero leverage. He's not eligible for arbitration, or an offer sheet. He either plays with Vancouver, or he doesn't play. A deal will get done. I'm gonna say closer to early/mid-August.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Can you imagine Mick's stress level if he were a Leaf fan right about now?

____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:00 pm Can you imagine Mick's stress level if he were a Leaf fan right about now?

:shock: :crazy:
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

rikster wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:08 am
Mëds wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:12 am Rikster the buyout rules that penalize cap space are there not to protect owners and GM’s from themselves as Diehard suggests, but rather to level the playing field and prevent deep pocket teams from exploiting the market and just pumping and dumping every year. It keeps budget teams in the mix and has created this parity we see league-wide.

The PA wouldn’t give two shits if the next CBA allowed for buyouts that didn’t count against the cap. So long as the player still gets his due, It’s just more money in the unions’s coffers and the player’s wallet because the hour after a guy is bought out he can sign somewhere else.

I do think there should be provisions to allow for situations where a player just goes off a cliff like Eriksson has. But there also needs to be penalties for GM’s who over pay aging stars and just want out from under their mistake. It would have to be weighed factoring in players age when signing, year-to-year performance compared to previous performance, etc.....
The system needs a way to cleanse itself regardless of whose to blame...

BTW, the notion that 31 Managers with give or take $80 Million to spend in an "as compared to" salary system in an ultra competitive league where the stakes are so high should be expected to never make a mistake is silly and irrational....

lol story, years ago a friend of mine asked me to join him at the Auto Auction... he and his management team were there not to buy, but to dump inventory...

The night before the auction we all gathered for dinner and confirmed that we were there to sell, not buy...

The morning of the auction we all gathered for breakfast and confirmed that we were there to sell, not buy....

So the first car the auction ran was an off colour Ford Contour with a hit over $2,000 and who had his hand up to buy it....My friend....

As soon as he purchased it his managers who had been spread out came over and asked him what the heck he was doing?? He had got caught up in the excitement and couldn't resist overpaying for a lemon car which he didn't need...

As for league parity, the NFL allows teams to cut players before the season begins and his salary is neither paid or counted against the cap...

As for protecting smaller market teams, a look at the current salary position of all teams finds the likes of Arizona at the top and the Rangers and the Canucks at the bottom...

This protection for small market teams is less of an issue as the league wide revenues have grown and been shared and expansion has taken place and a new TV deal on the horizon...

And the players took less of the revenue cut in the last CBA...

Anyways, my two cents for the next CBA is;

Allow a franchise player tag whose salary is outside the cap to allow the McDavids and Crosbys and hopefully Pettersson's of the league to earn a salary that takes into consideration their on ice ability and their off ice ability to generate revenues for the league...

Work out a system where buyouts can be made and aren't counted against the cap...

Take care...
For starters I have never understood how the NFL Player's Union signed on a the dotted line permitting their members to simply get axed without compensation. But the NFL is cutthroat.

The cap penalizing protection needs to be built in because teams like the Rangers, Maple leaves, Kings, and to a lesser extent Vancouver, Boston, and Chicago, could wade into free agency, and throw crazy money and max term around and gobble up all of the big name free agents, and they could sign their stars to stupid ass extensions at the same time, then when a player is past his best before date and still has 5 years remaining they just buy the player out. So the talent would get monopolized, and teams like Winnipeg, Arizona, Anaheim, Edmonton, Carolina, etc., would all find themselves picking up the scraps and never capable of retaining their best players, or even having a shot at signing a marquis free agent, because the rich teams could always overpay and simply buy their success. That was the reason for going to a cap system in the first place.

I agree. Work out a system where buyouts can be made that aren't counted against the cap. But there would have to be some regulations on it. Like say Toronto comes in and buys Tavares at $11M at max term, and he goes from being a 80 point first line centerman to being a 50 point second line slug the next season, and say 3 years later is still a 50 point guy, then yes, there should be a way to buy him out and have no penalty because you paid for an asset based on X performances past, and at 27, there should be no reason for an immediate decline.

There should be a penalty applied to a team for a buyout when a GM (with full permission from the owners) blows his own brains out with an asinine contract offer that nobody else could match. Like say if someone offered Malkin $12M in 3 years and gave him say 5 years when he's already 36 years old at that point.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

micky107 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:26 pm It's beyond my comprehension that Brock, via his agent, have been trying for ridiculous numbers like 7.8 or 8 for 4 years.
Why is that unreasonable?

Skinner, who Doc pointed out has been a goal scoring machine, signed for $9M. But he's never produced more than 63 points in a season.

The past two seasons Skinner has chipped in at a 0.68ppg. Boeser has clocked in at 0.85ppg. Skinner has been fully healthy, logging 82 games in both seasons, and amazingly has only missed 19 games over the past 6 seasons. Boeser has been hurt twice and has had slow starts because of off-season injuries, and perhaps also a tougher adjustment to the pro game and the requirements of it.

Based upon that I think anything in the $7's range is reasonable for Boeser.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Mëds wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:58 pm

Skinner, who Doc pointed out has been a goal scoring machine, signed for $9M. But he's never produced more than 63 points in a season.
(potential) Bidding war.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:00 pm
Mëds wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:58 pm

(potential) Bidding war.
Well the 4 years part, I believe, would make him a UFA so ideally, you'd want to get 7 for 7 done and brag about it. Both team and player, right?
All summer long, sell more beers tickets.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Sportsnet 650
@Sportsnet650
More Sportsnet 650 Retweeted Elliotte Friedman
Elliotte reporting the #Canucks are likely to sign UFA D Tyler Myers and Jordie Benn when free agency officially opens up tomorrow morning.Sportsnet 650 added,
Elliotte Friedman

@FriedgeHNIC
Some ideas on what to expect tomorrow:
8:08 PM - 30 Jun 2019
Frank Seravalli

Verified account
@frank_seravalli
Expectation is Tyler Myers and #Canucks are closing in on a 5-year, $30 million deal to be signed Monday - as @DarrenDreger reported earlier was in the works.
9:21 PM - 30 Jun 2019
Looks like this might be true. Still don't like a 34/35 year old player making 6 but I'll take this. ;)

He's been making 5.5 so 6 aint a big raise.
Might still be another team in the mix, stay tuned.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

So I guess it's Myers and Jordie Benn. See in a few hours.
"evolution"
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Jordie Benn?

That's an upgrade?

I feel like we're about to double is salary and have another over 30 bottom pairing defenseman that Benning overpays on. I'm thinking he gets $3M x 4.

Sigh.