Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Topper wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:26 am Luongo announced his retirement. The 600lb gorilla has landed.
Maybe we can have a 2nd ring...the ring of dishonour and have the 2 circles intersect into the venn of despair.

In the venn of despair you could put successful canucks who also fucked the team over like bure and luongo.

Draws deeeeep on the bong...

Ya man thats what we should have
If you need air...call it in
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

micky107 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:22 am
Diehard1 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:19 pm
My guess is this year is another non playoff season and we make a better push for it next year, obviously subject to future moves Jimbo is working on.
Benning will be out.
Green will be out.

A better push than last year isn't saying much/enough.

It's all or nothing this year. The improved, friendlier schedule will help as much as anything.

The team needed another top 6 forward and , ( although judging by his radio interview he aint impressed and didn't see it coming),
JT Miller should by X-mas, be making a major contribution.
Still actually need someone else to come in,(or a current player to pick up the pace), in the top 6, to make the Canucks a real challenger,
offensively.

A mega contract to Myers in FA might do FA. Not my first choice to "rectify the back end".
6 million for 4 years with a modified no trade is, (to the nth degree), as far as a contract offer should be.
By the way, did I mention, that we will still need yet "ANOTHER" defensive upgrade along with that. (or a promise from Chris Tanev
that he will play no less than 75 games at his best or he will donate his entire year's salary to the Canuck's Christmas fund).

DID YOU KNOW; The St, Louis Blues came from last place to win the Stanley Cup. Image
If that's the criteria, playoffs or bust, then Frankie should have already either extended Jimbo or fired him. You don't manage for 1 year and saving your own hide, you manage to make your team better year in, year out.

I fully agree this team will not be better just by adding Myers - he's a decent dman about to be overpaid, but he's not that much of an upgrade on his own. Miller will help as well, but there's still weakness on the second line on the wing, an uncertain 3rd line, a black hole on offense on the 4th line and nowhere near enough offense on the back end. Tanev being healthy likely isn't enough as he hasn't been much more than a #4 dman the last couple of years, he's really slowed down.

Without a major defensive upgrade, which would be Myers plus another top 4 guy, this team doesn't make the playoffs next year IMHO. The only caveat to that is if Petey scores 100 points and Brock 40 goals perhaps that's enough to squeeze in, I just don't think that's likely.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Jesus did I read that “the St Louis Blues came from last place to with the Stanley Cup”... that Blues team also averaged 100 points a season the last four years. The Canucks have averaged 70. There’s no similarities between the two clubs whatsoever. They grossly underachieved the first half of the year under Mike Yeo.

The Blues have two of the very best D men in the game.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Well, if thet simply didn't qualify Bhutt to sign him cheaper as a UFA (avoiding arbitration like they have done in the past -Pouliot, Webber, etc) and get another 2-3 defenceman, we are looking good going into next year, especially once a bunch of the deadwood is cleared out (one way or another)

And regarding JB's lame duck status, Aqua could jus be waiting for the busy season to be over to go get it done. Let's face it, JB has a lot on his plate for the last few weeks, and the next couple. If I am JB, I am not worried about a new contract unless it's getting into September. I would expect to hear something in August on that.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:42 am
Topper wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:00 am The same poster who complained about Horvat's best years being wasted developing kids are the same folks complaining about acquiring Miller and bettering the defence to become more competitive.
:lol:
Dude what are your thoughts on this recapture stuff, Gillis sure was shrewd with the cap and contracts wasn’t he.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Since Luongo was slated to make significantly less than his $5.33 million AAV, the Canucks will be hit with a $3.03 million penalty for the next three seasons, while the Panthers are on the hook for $1.09 million per season for three seasons. From the Florida newspaper.

Good for him to let the Panthers and Canucks know before July 1st. For the record it only costs us 2.2 more than the $800,000 were were paying him.
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

No denying Gillis, Gillman, the Aquillinis and Bobby himself created this f**king mess.
No denying the league, (Gary B) were just pissed they were out maneuvered so made a new rule up.

However, the penalty coming to fruition, to this present team is ridiculous and damning.
Not fair to the current bunch.
Now this isn't just my hissy fit, hear me out.
To punish the current players, coaches, management, the Cities reputation and mostly the fans is an atrocity.
If the league was reputable or if the league had the desire to become that, haha, they could simply allow the owners
to pay it out of their own pocket and not hurt the present aspiring team who are desperately attempting to become
competitive in the regular season and hopefully, post season. Did I mention that none of the current regime, other than the owner was responsible.
Oh yes, I did. Sorry.
Hey; Three million dollars could be a game changer!
Yes, I'm sure it was factored in as a distinct possibility, not the point.
The only point there really is, and that means a hill of beans, is Fuck-you Bettman...
My apologies for the profanities...
"evolution"
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

micky107 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:49 pm No denying Gillis, Gillman, the Aquillinis and Bobby himself created this f**king mess.
No denying the league, (Gary B) were just pissed they were out maneuvered so made a new rule up.

However, the penalty coming to fruition, to this present team is ridiculous and damning.
Not fair to the current bunch.
Now this isn't just my hissy fit, hear me out.
To punish the current players, coaches, management, the Cities reputation and mostly the fans is an atrocity.
If the league was reputable or if the league had the desire to become that, haha, they could simply allow the owners
to pay it out of their own pocket and not hurt the present aspiring team who are desperately attempting to become
competitive in the regular season and hopefully, post season. Did I mention that none of the current regime, other than the owner was responsible.
Oh yes, I did. Sorry.
Hey; Three million dollars could be a game changer!
Yes, I'm sure it was factored in as a distinct possibility, not the point.
The only point there really is, and that means a hill of beans, is Fuck-you Bettman...
My apologies for the profanities...
It will never happen.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I think the recapture might outperform Sutter and Eriksson next season
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

And then some.
"evolution"
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:10 pm I think the recapture might outperform Sutter and Eriksson next season
It’s ok though Blobcat! Remember, cap space doesn’t matter during a rebuild!

However someone’s original second or third statement of: focus on 5 years from now, is firmly within this recapture window and there will probably be some ramifications to this penalty that we feel in years 2 and 3.

The only silver linings here are that he did it this year and not either of the next 2 years, and as HW said, that because of his retirement the $800K disappears so it’s really only a $2.2M dent when looked at that way.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:10 pm I think the recapture might outperform Sutter and Eriksson next season
:lol:

(Re)cap(ture) space doesn’t matter for a rebuilding team.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Old Man Matt’s Sundin $10 Million per would have been a better deal than “my contract sucks”.

Y’all say it had nothing to do with the contract Gilleye doled out, but it did. If his contract didn’t suck he could have traded him long before, when he started trying to, before the desperation trade with Florida.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:05 pm Old Man Matt’s Sundin $10 Million per would have been a better deal than “my contract sucks”.

Y’all say it had nothing to do with the contract Gilleye doled out, but it did. If his contract didn’t suck he could have traded him long before, when he started trying to, before the desperation trade with Florida.
Whoa.... Doc get your fist puppet off that rag of paint thinner.

Anyone figure out what Dud was trying to say :mex:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:52 pm because of his retirement the $800K disappears so it’s really only a $2.2M dent when looked at that way.
Or one could look at it this way: Gillis should never have retained on the Luongo contract.

Thoughts Dude?
____
Try to focus on someday.