2020 NHL Draft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: 2020 NHL Draft

Post by ESQ »

theman wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:52 am

Yeah, Tanev looks gone, kind of mixed on it but in some ways I agree, he was lucky last season (injury wise). One of those hard choices. Now if we do land OEL, it would make loosing Tanev easier to take.
That's a very good point, and one that I'd been forgetting about.

I totally bought in to the "Hughes is so good he keeps Tanev out of dangerous spots" narrative, but at the end of the day he was super, duper lucky.

Maybe it is time to move on to a more dependable, dependable-stay-at-home Dman, that won't miss 15-25 games a year.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Sounds like it will pay off for GMs to hold onto whatever money they have until a day or two after Free Agent Frenzy passes. The big dogs will get their money, but there might be a lot of solid unemployed players that can be hired for half price. Some players that were expecting two and three million dollar offers might end up signIng for half of that, especially goalies. I think GMs that budget a price for a position and let all the agents know what they are willing to spend only that to fill that position will get surprised at the quality of players willing to meet their budget, especially goalies. That’s why I’m not too worried if Markstrom doesn’t sign. You’d have to be happy for him if he gets the big bucks, long term deal that he wants, Tanev too.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Cherry Picker wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:11 am Sounds like it will pay off for GMs to hold onto whatever money they have until a day or two after Free Agent Frenzy passes. The big dogs will get their money, but there might be a lot of solid unemployed players that can be hired for half price. Some players that were expecting two and three million dollar offers might end up signIng for half of that, especially goalies. I think GMs that budget a price for a position and let all the agents know what they are willing to spend only that to fill that position will get surprised at the quality of players willing to meet their budget, especially goalies. That’s why I’m not too worried if Markstrom doesn’t sign. You’d have to be happy for him if he gets the big bucks, long term deal that he wants, Tanev too.
And they might be willing to take short term as well
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Micky wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:12 am
theman wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:52 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:03 am I'd say Benning has the upper hand with both Bill Armstrong and Markstrom. The yoties don't want to give away their franchise defenseman but he has them over a barrel. Same with Marky. He wants to stay on and see where this team can go more than he wants to cash in with detroit and suffer that fate.

It sure looks like Tanev is gone though.
Yeah, Tanev looks gone, kind of mixed on it but in some ways I agree, he was lucky last season (injury wise). One of those hard choices. Now if we do land OEL, it would make loosing Tanev easier to take.
Taking on Larsen's contract would be very much a deal for the now, not the long term future. Better win the cup in the next three years.
If we sign Tanev to a 5 year contract he'll be 35 years old when it's done.

If we trade for OEL and his contract he'll be 35 years old when it's done.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:38 pm If we sign Tanev to a 5 year contract he'll be 35 years old when it's done.

Neither of which sounds appealing, and I'm a big Tanev fan.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cornuck wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:42 pm
Strangelove wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:38 pm If we sign Tanev to a 5 year contract he'll be 35 years old when it's done.

Neither of which sounds appealing, and I'm a big Tanev fan.
I'd be good with both!

Decent chance they'll both be top-4 guys at the end of those contracts.

And if not... well there's no such thing as an unmovable contract. :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Byfield 1st overall! jk

Alexis Lafreniere

--

"Multiple sources have told The Buffalo News that the Sabres are looking to trade for a goaltender.
GM Kevyn Adams is open to trading the 8th overall pick tonight. Let's see if anything develops..."
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The Kings will have the best prospect pool after this draft if they already don’t. Look the fuck out for that team in 2 - 3 years.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:22 pm The Kings will have the best prospect pool after this draft if they already don’t. Look the fuck out for that team in 2 - 3 years.
Everyone said that about the Oilers at one time.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:22 pm The Kings will have the best prospect pool after this draft if they already don’t. Look the fuck out for that team in 2 - 3 years.
Settle down, Jack Rabbit
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

wow Jamie Drysdale gets past #5 to #6 to the Ducks, Sens the 1st for a 'reach' drafting Sanderson.

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2020/10/06/20 ... -coverage/

1. New York Rangers – Alexis Lafreniere, LW, Rimouski (QMJHL)
2. Los Angeles Kings – Quinton Byfield, C, Sudbury (OHL)
3. Ottawa Senators (from SJS) – Tim Stutzle, C/LW, Mannheim (DEL) (announced by Alex Trebek!)
4. Detroit Red Wings – Lucas Raymond, LW, Frolunda (SHL)
5. Ottawa Senators – Jake Sanderson, D, USNTDP (USHL) (geoff sanderson, son) a big, tough mobile dman.
6. Anaheim Ducks – Jamie Drysdale, D, Eric (OHL)
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

The kings are gonna suck forever...Write it down you heard it here at the start of forever
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:26 pm
Everyone said that about the Oilers at one time.
Oilers pool had nowhere near the depth.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Wings fans will be happy, I browsed their board pre-draft.

Raymond was the consensus fave.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Pretty happy the canucks drafted JT Miller in his prime at a great cap hit with the 20th OA.

:thumbs:
If you need air...call it in