2018-2019 Playoffs. Round three

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: 2018-2019 Playoffs. Round three

Post by Mickey107 »

...Image
Image......... 5-1 Blues
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Man does Thornton ever look old, emancipated, in that post game interview. I still hate him. But I respect the he shut down any injury talk as an excuse. Just shut it down. I still hate him.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I think it’s funny that so many people hate him because he put his glove in Henrik’s face.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:42 am Man does Thornton ever look old, emancipated, in that post game interview. I still hate him. But I respect the he shut down any injury talk as an excuse. Just shut it down. I still hate him.
At some point you just need to acknowledge that injuries are a part of hockey, and just like you need a lucky bounce or (in the Sharks case) a lucky call (or three), you need to stay healthy if you have much hope of winning. You can't be down that many talented players and expect to win, not in this age of parity.

I see a few of comparables between them and what happened to the Canucks in 2011 injury-wise, although we were even more banged up. I'm still impressed the Canucks were able to go to cup-finals, Game 7, with Samuelsson (tendon and hernia), Kesler (groin and hip), Higgins (broken foot), Erhrhoff (shoulder), Hamhuis (groin), Raymond (back), Edler (hand) out or crippled with serious injuries.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I’m not a fan of Thornton, he’s always been overrated by the homer Canadian hockey media. The beard is fucking ridiculous. Don’t feel sad for the guy at all
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:50 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:42 am Man does Thornton ever look old, emancipated, in that post game interview. I still hate him. But I respect the he shut down any injury talk as an excuse. Just shut it down. I still hate him.
At some point you just need to acknowledge that injuries are a part of hockey, and just like you need a lucky bounce or (in the Sharks case) a lucky call (or three), you need to stay healthy if you have much hope of winning. You can't be down that many talented players and expect to win, not in this age of parity.

I see a few of comparables between them and what happened to the Canucks in 2011 injury-wise, although we were even more banged up. I'm still impressed the Canucks were able to go to cup-finals, Game 7, with Samuelsson (tendon and hernia), Kesler (groin and hip), Higgins (broken foot), Erhrhoff (shoulder), Hamhuis (groin), Raymond (back), Edler (hand) out or crippled with serious injuries.
Your thoughts on how injuries have affected the Canucks the last 2 seasons?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 6:01 am I’m not a fan of Thornton, he’s always been overrated by the homer Canadian hockey media. The beard is fucking ridiculous. Don’t feel sad for the guy at all
I’m not a massive fan either. But to hate him for something that happened six or seven years ago and was pretty minor seems hilarious
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 6:03 am Your thoughts on how injuries have affected the Canucks the last 2 seasons?
Minimally. Basically they highlighted our lack of depth, but even when healthy the team sucked. Blaming injuries for the results over the past couple years would be a very stupid thing to attempt.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Prior to Edler slamming his face on the ice the Canucks were playing good hockey a tail spin proceeded after Edler going down. When you’re two best D-men (Tanev) go down with long term injuries that has to have some kind of an impact on a young team, no? Or do the Sharks only get the mulligan here? A healthy season here, this team could have been a contender for those wild card spots giving this young team invaluable playoff experience moving forward
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:38 am I think it’s funny that so many people hate him because he put his glove in Henrik’s face.
I've hated him since Boston...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 6:21 am
RoyalDude wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 6:03 am Your thoughts on how injuries have affected the Canucks the last 2 seasons?
Minimally. Basically they highlighted our lack of depth, but even when healthy the team sucked. Blaming injuries for the results over the past couple years would be a very stupid thing to attempt.
Teams often lack depth in a rebuild and Canucks have been one of the most injured teams the past two seasons.

It's "very stupid" to not conclude Canuck injuries affected the team's "results" in my oh so humble opinion. :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Strangelove wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 7:45 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:38 am I think it’s funny that so many people hate him because he put his glove in Henrik’s face.
I've hated him since Boston...
Can't say I hated him for that, but more disappointed in the refs' and the Canucks' reaction to it. It was playoff hockey, and he did what he had to do to get a Cup - our guys didn't.

Still - with that said, he's not a favourite of mine, and if he played for Vancouver, it would not be anywhere close to the embarrassment of Messier.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 6:14 am
RoyalDude wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 6:01 am I’m not a fan of Thornton, he’s always been overrated by the homer Canadian hockey media. The beard is fucking ridiculous. Don’t feel sad for the guy at all
I’m not a massive fan either. But to hate him for something that happened six or seven years ago and was pretty minor seems hilarious
I saw him in 2010 at an Olympic game, I think the squeaker against Switzerland where Brodeur was awful, and I remember watching Joe float around and I thought to myself, "thank God I don't have to cheer for that guy year-round".

To his credit, he's managed to shake the No-Show Joe title, but the reality remains that he had one of the best skillsets in NHL history and accomplished very little.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Like him or lump him he’s #14 in all time scoring. I’d say he’s accomplished a fair bit more than very little.

He’s a guaranteed first ballot hall of famer. I guess guys like the twins and Iginla have accomplished very little by those lofty standards.