Karlsson, Myers, None or ... ? Poll

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

UFAs and the Canucks D

Sign Karlsson - no matter what it takes!
37%
Sign Myers or another top UFA Dman
33%
Don't sign any UFA Dman
7%
Make a trade or two for more bodies on the blueline
15%
Just play the rookies - they'll get the job done
7%

Total votes: 27

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: Karlsson, Myers, None or ... ? Poll

Post by ESQ »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:21 pm If they cough up 7 + to Myers , that will be an albatross. This guy is an average 2nd pairing guy. At 5 million , sure sign me up, but that ain’t happening. No fucking way you pay him as top 20 d man. Horrible boat anchor will end up being another Loui debacle.
2nd-pairing UFAs haven't signed for $5 million since like 2010. Inflation has been crazy - the cap has doubled since 2005, and salaries basically have doubled as well.

Loui was paid as a top-6 UFA, and wound up performing like a 4th-liner. The equivalent would be Myers winding up as the #7 defenceman and healthy-scratched when the D is healthy within a year of signing, which seems exceedingly unlikely.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ESQ wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:00 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:21 pm If they cough up 7 + to Myers , that will be an albatross. This guy is an average 2nd pairing guy. At 5 million , sure sign me up, but that ain’t happening. No fucking way you pay him as top 20 d man. Horrible boat anchor will end up being another Loui debacle.
2nd-pairing UFAs haven't signed for $5 million since like 2010. Inflation has been crazy - the cap has doubled since 2005, and salaries basically have doubled as well.

Loui was paid as a top-6 UFA, and wound up performing like a 4th-liner. The equivalent would be Myers winding up as the #7 defenceman and healthy-scratched when the D is healthy within a year of signing, which seems exceedingly unlikely.
I did earlier say I might go to 6 for Myers. But if he gets7.5 like Mëds is wanting to pay him that’s asinine. That puts him in the top 20 easily for salary. He is an average 2nd pairing guy. Not a huge fan of this player though he is a bit better than Stecher and Hutton.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

ESQ wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:00 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:21 pm If they cough up 7 + to Myers, that will be an albatross. This guy is an average 2nd pairing guy. At 5 million, sure sign me up, but that ain’t happening. No fucking way you pay him as top 20 d man. Horrible boat anchor will end up being another Loui debacle.

Or see it as $6M on Eriksson (today's version UFA = Dzingel) or spend more for a guy like Panarin?

So $7M on Myers or spend more for a guy like Karlsson?

Elite top tier talent >>> over yet another mediocre type taking too much cap for what they provide, enough messing around, lets surround Petey/Boeser/Horvat with some high caliber talent especially on defense arguably the Canucks biggest weakness since 2012 onwards when Gillis foolishly let Hoffer go.

This franchise is at it's best when it had multiple weapons on defense.

1994 cup run: Jeff Brown/Lumme/Babych(sorta)

2011 cup run: Hoffer/Edler/Juice(sorta)

All championship teams have a couple great scoring types on D with one elite, it's what you need if you don't have a Chris Pronger or Nik Lidstrom type.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Fuq it, sign em both (Karlsson + Myers). JB always wanted a top PP D-man and he likes big dood D-man, get em both in one shot!!! Just trade some guys like Tan-man, Sutter and/or Eriksson to make cap room. Aqua bros just do it! Blow the Wad! U know u want to. It's only money, let it burn! :P
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

My suggestion - don’t draft Cotton Hill Hodgson and his stumps for legs and draft one of Myers or Karlsson instead and hope for the hometown discount???
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:25 pm My suggestion - don’t draft Cotton Hill Hodgson and his stumps for legs and draft one of Myers or Karlsson instead and hope for the hometown discount???
Or draft Pastrnak and Kopitar

Idiots
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:35 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:25 pm My suggestion - don’t draft Cotton Hill Hodgson and his stumps for legs and draft one of Myers or Karlsson instead and hope for the hometown discount???
Or draft Pastrnak and Kopitar

Idiots
Gillis LOVED the analytics on Cotton Hill, went on and on about. Gillis so ahead of the curve

Would love to see Ottawa’s analytics on Karlsson since he apparently wasn’t supposed to be drafted so high. Brilliant drafting by Ottawa, not so much by Megamind Gillis
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Well, we got to almost a page and half until the thread went off the rails.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I voted to forget the pipe dream of ek or tm and look to make a couple trades for top 4 dmen. Obviously we will have to give to get and this is where my plan breaks down lol.

Notable assets to move could be as valuable as gaudette or virtanen all the way down to the Sutters or bearcheeses. I also wouldnt flinch to see if there's interest in Demko.

The bottom line is we desperately need quality puck moving d assets and could potentially lose the players mentioned above if we gained legitimate assets in return
If you need air...call it in
Iceman2014
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Iceman2014 »

Hell no to EK or any other overpriced D man. Kick the tires, sure, but leave it at that. I think Panarin is worth checking in on as well but I am sure the money will be silly.

Take this summer to try and deal Goldy, Sutter and maybe Erikkson (after July 1 - it won't be easy). Dealing those guys won't bring back anything high end but could yield some picks. The other options is to package up some underachievers (Goldy, Granlund etc) with a pick and see if you get a solid return.

A Tanev package might bring back a good piece or two as well.

When you think about it, Benning has put himself into a bit of a corner. Pushing Edler to waive at the deadline should have brought back a good return. Dealing Tanev before the no trade kicked in (and he was pretty healthy) also should have brought back a very good return. Sadly, that didn't happen. All of the highly coveted pieces are the young guns which we can't really deal.

After considering this, I can see Benning making some desperation plays. One may include overpaying, again, on July 1. The only FA I'd look at is Panarin and that's because he's in the right age range.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Iceman2014 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:27 am When you think about it, Benning has put himself into a bit of a corner. Pushing Edler to waive at the deadline should have brought back a good return. Dealing Tanev before the no trade kicked in (and he was pretty healthy) also should have brought back a very good return. Sadly, that didn't happen. All of the highly coveted pieces are the young guns which we can't really deal.
But we need Edler and Tanev for the time being, despite their injuries.

In the next couple of years we'll find out what we have in LS Hughes + Juolevi and RS Tryamkin + Woo.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

For the record I'm on the fence about Karlsson.

Not interested in any of the other UFAs

"Go big or go home" as someone else said...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Skyo,

So you sign EK for 10 or 11...

then what?

glossing over the fact that adding him would still have left Last games Defence with 2 of 3 of Sautner, Brisbois and Biega on the ice, what happens in 3 years when Pettersson and Boesser have new shiney contracts (probably 15+ million more of cap) and Luongo retires? -- whats his cap recapture again? 5 or 8 million or some shit??

your going to let Hughes walk out the door to go sign with his brothers team because you want Karlsson now? because that's whats going to happen.

no team can have 3-4 guys making more than 8 million a year and 2 guys making more than 10 and still ice a competitive team.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:15 am Skyo,

So you sign EK for 10 or 11...

then what?
Start winning? and make every player better on the team, increasing trade value down the road, making it easier to move cap when needed.
glossing over the fact that adding him would still have left Last games Defence with 2 of 3 of Sautner, Brisbois and Biega on the ice,
Wait what?
what happens in 3 years when Pettersson and Boesser have new shiney contracts (probably 15+ million more of cap) and Luongo retires? -- whats his cap recapture again? 5 or 8 million or some shit??
Pretty clear the Panthers/Canucks and the league would want to avoid a serious legal matter, so the league has turned a blind eye to the LTIR/retirement thing.
your going to let Hughes walk out the door to go sign with his brothers team because you want Karlsson now? because that's whats going to happen.
Riiiight because you said so, we don't even know how good or okay Hughes will be yet.
no team can have 3-4 guys making more than 8 million a year and 2 guys making more than 10 and still ice a competitive team.
The best money to spend on players in the league is your #1 center and your #1 dman. That's Petey and 2x Norris trophy winner Karlsson.

See the leaves overspending on forwards is costing em now, we shouldn't make that mistake.

Need equality payments to your forwards & on D.

Our highest paid players should be elite and you draft develop youngsters to surround em with, when they become too expensive you swap em for high picks and prospects for the long term health of the franchise, and when the team is close to contending can sell some of that built up wealth of prospects/picks to buy some quality depth for a Cup run's, and likely multiple Cup runs with a core of Petey, Horvat, Boeser, Hughes and EK. Exactly what the Aqualini's want.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Some folks would rather spend 10.4 million on Sutter and Eriksson than get an elite player for that money.

Makes total sense :stupid: