2019 offseason

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: 2019 offseason

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:13 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:04 pm
No way! Benning was hot to land either Lucic or Ericksson. His first choice was Lucic and we know Lucic thought life would be great in Edmonton with McJesus and a new building to play in. Benning’s second choice was Louie all the way.

Benning gets no kinda pass on this one.
I think linden was pretty hot for Eriksson as a favour to the sedins.
Or maybe Benning liked him from his time in Boston?
“Loui is an excellent two-way forward, an elite scorer and playmaker with great defensive instincts,” said General Manager Jim Benning. “He is an accomplished player who helps our team now and in the future as a leader and role model for our young players to follow. We’re excited to have Loui join our team and help us compete every night.”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

oh fuck off Madcombinepilot you fucking idiot, have me blocked then jesus christ.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

:lol:

Skyo u got triggered there brozilla
If you need air...call it in
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:32 pm :lol:

Skyo u got triggered there brozilla.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Shave his head and that’s the Dude
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:49 pm Keep the fantasy drivel to the fantasy thread please.
Well in fairness to Mr Skyo, the Opening Post set the example by fantasizing about Myers or Gardner.

In fact the OP's example fantasy was so wild it imagined getting them at "5-6 million for 3-5 years"!! :lol:

Madcombinepilot wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:49 pm We need DEPTH and value contracts. You will get neither with EK in the offseason.
You get "DEPTH" with EK because he pushes others down the lineup.

And in reality, though he'll get more per-yr, EK arguably won't provide any less "value" than the OP's Myers/Gardner.

(hopefully the OP won't mind me inserting a little reality here) :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:51 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:13 pm
No way! Benning was hot to land either Lucic or Ericksson. His first choice was Lucic and we know Lucic thought life would be great in Edmonton with McJesus and a new building to play in. Benning’s second choice was Louie all the way.

I think linden was pretty hot for Eriksson as a favour to the sedins.
Or maybe Benning liked him from his time in Boston?
“Loui is an excellent two-way forward, an elite scorer and playmaker with great defensive instincts,” said General Manager Jim Benning. “He is an accomplished player who helps our team now and in the future as a leader and role model for our young players to follow. We’re excited to have Loui join our team and help us compete every night.”
Probably, they were getting a ufa that year no matter what I think Benning was higher on Lucic
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

mr perfect wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:40 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:09 pm I am a little bit concerned about Free Agency this coming summer with Elmer having a lot of cap space. This team can ill afford another Eriksson type blunder. I hope there is truth to the Aquilinis looking to bring in an experienced hockey guy in a President of Hockey Operations position. They need someone to approve or disapprove of some of these moves.

I was a big proponent of bringing in EK but he looks like shit since he came back. Ferkland is another guy I liked but he is injured again. Myers is going to be grossly overpaid. I like Duchene and Panarin but they aren’t likely to sign here. Simmons is washed up. It might be wise to go dumpster diving after July 2 and get guys on one or two year deals. Problem is that Elmer is going into the last year of his deal with a team option the year after that. He knows his ass is grass if they miss the playoffs again.
I suspect that down the road when we get to see the entrails of the Jimbo era that the Aquas were probably more responsible for the Eriksson signing than Benning was. Which is why he's still here. It still doesn't excuse him for giving Gagner a three year deal. Those two deals bother me the most in all the deals he's negotiated.

I believe quite few Canuck fans were hot to sign Lucic. Canuck fans and media were very excited at the prospect of signing Lucic, posting Lucic sitings photos on social media while Milan was meeting with management and ownership. Milan, Eriksson, Ladd, Okposo, Russell, Alzner, Neal are prime examples of the risks to signing UFAs. Bennnng doesn’t have the exclusive on this. Wasn’t Blob all thumbs up over the Eriksson signing?

The after fact pile on Benning when most were all teeth with the signing of Loui and prospects of signing Lucic. Blob also wanted Ladd and Brouwer!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Absolutely I thought Lucic was a decent target. Turns out he’s as a big of a bust as Eriksson.

Myers looks to be another albatross in the making. Stay far away from that fucking guy. What should have been happening over the past four or five summers is signing guys to cheap one and two year deals and flogging them at the deadline. Elmer is on the clock here. He won’t survive missing the playoffs five years in a row. That leads me to believe we could see him going nuts on July 1st and potentially leaving the incoming GM a shitty mess to clean up.

Blob wanted Ladd and Brouwer at reduced rates. But why let that get in the way of your narrative
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I just love the after the fact pile on Benning when most agreed with some of the very decisions he made at the time. Sometimes shit turns out sometimes not. I’m sure your favourite - Ken Holland has a few of these
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:18 am I just love the after the fact pile on Benning when most agreed with some of the very decisions he made at the time.
It’s called admitting a mistake. Ive been wrong many times on player assessments, but guess what I don’t get paid to make them. I’ve tried to get certain posters to admit Elmer has made even a single mistake in five years. They refuse to. Is that truth or trolling?

At the end of the day he will pay for his errors in 12 months or less barring a massive miracle or three. That isn’t me wanting him to be gassed, it’s reality.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:22 am
RoyalDude wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:18 am I just love the after the fact pile on Benning when most agreed with some of the very decisions he made at the time.

At the end of the day he will pay for his errors in 12 months or less barring a massive miracle or three. That isn’t me wanting him to be gassed, it’s reality.
I’m sorry Blob but this is a big woosh for me. Your predictions lost all credibility with your predictions of where we’d finish in the first year without the twins
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:43 am

I’m sorry Blob but this is a big woosh for me. Your predictions lost all credibility with your predictions of where we’d finish in the first year without the twins
They had a -31 goal differential. If they didn’t feast in 3 on 3 OT and the shootout they would have easily been bottom 5 like I predicted. They won 22 of 58 games in regulation time. In the old days that record would have been 22-36-24.

They will need more than 40 ROW wins next year. Do you predict a 95-98 point season out of this crew? Elmer doesn’t survive another season without playoffs. Full stop.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:07 am
RoyalDude wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:43 am

They had a -31 goal differential. If they didn’t feast in 3 on 3 OT and the shootout they would have easily been bottom 5 like I predicted. They won 22 of 58 games in regulation time. In the old days that record would have been 22-36-24.

They will need more than 40 ROW wins next year. Do you predict a 95-98 point season out of this crew? Elmer doesn’t survive another season without playoffs. Full stop.
“The Canucks are the lottery favourites for Jack Hughes without the Sedins” - Blob

9 teams with worst records than us without the twins. I guess Blobs prediction comes true ifvwe drafted Glass or Vilardi like he wanted. Shit! Now I know why Blob so angry!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Way to address what I posted. I guess you aren’t capable :|