2019 offseason

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: 2019 offseason

Post by SKYO »

Well folks looks like we in the game for EK!
ICYMI
Elliotte Friedman, says 4 teams, including San Jose, that are the front-runners in signing Erik Karlsson this off-season.
Vancouver Canucks, Tampa Bay Lightning, San Jose Sharks and the New York Rangers are all the front-runners in trying to sign Karlsson this off-season
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

SKYO wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:09 am Well folks looks like we in the game for EK!
ICYMI
Elliotte Friedman, says 4 teams, including San Jose, that are the front-runners in signing Erik Karlsson this off-season.
Vancouver Canucks, Tampa Bay Lightning, San Jose Sharks and the New York Rangers are all the front-runners in trying to sign Karlsson this off-season
That’s five teams.
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:17 am
SKYO wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:09 am Well folks looks like we in the game for EK!
ICYMI
That’s five teams.
Only if you count San Jose twice.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Mëds wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 5:24 pm
Don’t entertain Ferland over $4.5M. Think Matt Cooke before his last year in Van. A speedy guy who likes to hit hard and could crash the net to produce at a 20g, 50pt pace when skating with two-thirds Of a legit top 3 line.

Would you ever have paid more than $4M for Cooke?
I think Ferland is a good comparable to Cooke - but remember, Cook cracked 40 points once in his career. Even though Ferkland has (IMO) peaked with 21 goals/41 points in 2017-18. I don't think he's scored a playoff goal in 3 series since eliminating the Canucks in 2015.

Ferland has slightly more offense than Roussel (though he was on pace for a career year and could have cracked 40 points), and he could cost almost twice as much as Roussel. No thanks.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

I think "old" Jake can easily be as good as Ferland.
I know we could do with some team toughness, the kind Jake doesn't really bring to date
but not at a big price.
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:07 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:17 am
ICYMI
That’s five teams.
Only if you count San Jose twice.
LOL. Guess I should learn to read :oops: :oops:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

micky107 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:28 pm I think "old" Jake can easily be as good as Ferland.
I know we could do with some team toughness, the kind Jake doesn't really bring to date
but not at a big price.
Jake hasn’t yet shown the propensity to be anywhere close to Ferland toughness. Oh he can hit when he wants, quite effectively too. But has he dropped his gloves yet? What teammates has he protected? He’s running out of time in my book.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:47 pm
micky107 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:28 pm I think "old" Jake can easily be as good as Ferland.
but not at a big price.
Jake hasn’t yet shown the propensity to be anywhere close to Ferland toughness. Oh he can hit when he wants, quite effectively too. But has he dropped his gloves yet? What teammates has he protected? He’s running out of time in my book.
I thought I said that. J/K.... ;)
"evolution"
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ESQ wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:58 pm
Mëds wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 5:24 pm
Don’t entertain Ferland over $4.5M. Think Matt Cooke before his last year in Van. A speedy guy who likes to hit hard and could crash the net to produce at a 20g, 50pt pace when skating with two-thirds Of a legit top 3 line.

Would you ever have paid more than $4M for Cooke?
I think Ferland is a good comparable to Cooke - but remember, Cook cracked 40 points once in his career. Even though Ferkland has (IMO) peaked with 21 goals/41 points in 2017-18. I don't think he's scored a playoff goal in 3 series since eliminating the Canucks in 2015.

Ferland has slightly more offense than Roussel (though he was on pace for a career year and could have cracked 40 points), and he could cost almost twice as much as Roussel. No thanks.
Bang on ESQ.

I think a few people here think too highly of Ferland because he had such an effective series against us 4 years ago. He followed that up with some solid 3rd line level production, but nothing more. It was his fearless bowling ball approach that people were taken with, and therefore assume he's a more productive player than he actually is.

I'd take him at $3.5M with a max term of 4 years, but his type of game is best kept tethered to a shorter term contract.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

but not at a big price.
Bobby Farnham :lol:

Or was that his name?
If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

but not at a big price.
It's Virtänen Finnish side that keeps him from being a pure Ferland, Finland folks just play hard and gritty, we'll just have to accept he ain't a Donald Brashear, just a big brute who can blaze speed with his wheels, hit like a truck from time to time and hopefully be a 20+goal scorer when gets his confidence going and stops hitting the posts/crossbars.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Mëds wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:08 pmI think a few people here think too highly of Ferland because he had such an effective series against us 4 years ago. He followed that up with some solid 3rd line level production, but nothing more. It was his fearless bowling ball approach that people were taken with, and therefore assume he's a more productive player than he actually is.

I'd take him at $3.5M with a max term of 4 years, but his type of game is best kept tethered to a shorter term contract.
That's what Ferland should be paid, but July 1st UFA prices will escalate his price almost 50%.

All the more reason why I'd just as soon as just spend $10M-$11M per on EK, save us from spending $5M on Ferland & $6M on Dzingle versus a NORRIS trophy winning type dman who was insane these past playoffs who can make our entire team better from regular season to the post season, also ease the time on ice for Edler/Tanev if they are still around.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

SKYO wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:58 pm
All the more reason why I'd just as soon as just spend $10M-$11M per on EK,
Stead fast Sky, stead fast. You just might get me believin by June 30th.
"evolution"
Rede
CC Veteran

Post by Rede »

micky107 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:10 am
All the more reason why I'd just as soon as just spend $10M-$11M per on EK,
Stead fast Sky, stead fast. You just might get me believin by June 30th.
We Canucks fans really are suckers for punishment eh?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Mëds wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:08 pmI think a few people here think too highly of Ferland because he had such an effective series against us 4 years ago. He followed that up with some solid 3rd line level production, but nothing more. It was his fearless bowling ball approach that people were taken with, and therefore assume he's a more productive player than he actually is.

That's what Ferland should be paid, but July 1st UFA prices will escalate his price almost 50%.

All the more reason why I'd just as soon as just spend $10M-$11M per on EK, save us from spending $5M on Ferland & $6M on Dzingle versus a NORRIS trophy winning type dman who was insane these past playoffs who can make our entire team better from regular season to the post season, also ease the time on ice for Edler/Tanev if they are still around.
Ditto.

Although I'm not sure I want to commit that much to EK, if it involves max term, based on what we saw this year and some harder analysis of his game that I've read recently.

I think there are only a couple of teams in the league that would risk 7 years on him, and I doubt very much he will sign with those.

Tampa is probably the front runner (if they can make it work), and some rumors apparently point to the Bolts as a destination that Karlsson wants to land in, so they can probably pay him less per year if they go the full 7 years. Or they might be able to negotiate a shorter term instead.

Regardless, if EK is seeking $11M it's a steep price to pay beyond the 5 year mark.