2019 offseason

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Re: 2019 offseason

Post by Carl Yagro »

BladesofSteel wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:44 pm I’m okay with something under 6 no more than 5 years. But It wont be that and there will be an uproar
@frank_seravalli

Expectation is Tyler Myers and #Canucks are closing in on a 5-year, $30 million deal to be signed Monday - as @DarrenDreger reported earlier was in the works.
If true, that is about as good as you can expect for cap and term for a July 1st UFA signing.

I mean, Pavelski is getting $7 Million x 3 until he is 38 years old.

EDIT: Goddamn it, got beaten to it by UDL and Doc.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:42 pm
Frank Seravalli
@frank_seravalli

Expectation is Tyler Myers and #Canucks are closing in on a 5-year, $30 million deal to be signed Monday - as @DarrenDreger reported earlier was in the works.

9:21 PM - 30 Jun 2019
Andy Strickland
@andystrickland

Hearing Tyler Myers will sign 5 years, $30 Million, $6 M AAV with Vancouver #Canucks

9:20 PM - 30 Jun 2019
Now that Blob has passed out drunk I can post this.

I think that's right around where most Benning haters said they'd be happy.

GREAT SIGNING LORD BENNING!!! :rockin:
If that is the deal, then it's a good signing by Jimbo.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:46 pm
Diehard1 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:15 pm The contracts for Sutter, Loui, Beagle, Schaller and Baertschi are the reasons Jimbo, and every one of those are self inflicted.
Yeah let's go through this for the ten-thousandth time. :roll:

Those contracts are fine except for Loui and Schaller

... and the Schaller contract isn't exactly a killer.

($800K on the cap for him to play for the Comets as a callup, big whoop)

(and just one more season)

Loui's offensive game dried up, who knew.

Sutter has averaged close to 18 minutes per game in his 4 years here.

Baertschi has averaged 22 goals per 82 games since he got here.

Reportedly, three teams offered Beagle the same AAV

... so Jimmy had to add an extra year to swing it our way, and I'm glad he did.

But please, don't ever stop bitch, bitch, bitching...

Oh, and make sure to never give him credit for all the vastly underpaid ELC players he drafted.

Herr Diehard, vhen za time comes... no bandwagon seat for you!

NEXT!!! :evil: :twisted: :evil:
I will give you credit, your ability to justify is both well done and hilarious. Imagine somebody actually thinking paying Sutter what he’s made over the past 3 seasons has been good? Season 1 he was here was on a different contract I will remind you, and given he played a total of 20 games that year I’m actually trying to make your argument stronger - of course it doesn’t work given how little he’s played and how bad he is offensively.

Beagle is the same player, though slightly older, cheaper and worse offensively.

I really hope you keep the schtick up, it’s very satisfying to see you justify, justify, justify all the time. At least you’re consistent. ;)
Last edited by Diehard1 on Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:57 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:42 pm
Frank Seravalli
@frank_seravalli

9:21 PM - 30 Jun 2019
Andy Strickland
@andystrickland

Hearing Tyler Myers will sign 5 years, $30 Million, $6 M AAV with Vancouver #Canucks

9:20 PM - 30 Jun 2019
Now that Blob has passed out drunk I can post this.

I think that's right around where most Benning haters said they'd be happy.

GREAT SIGNING LORD BENNING!!! :rockin:
If that is the deal, then it's a good signing by Jimbo.
I don’t hate the signing, but I suspect most here haven’t watched enough of Myers to see what he really is. He is almost certainly going to be the new whipping boy around here in the not too distant future. Still, with Jimbo and his track record of signings to date I expected worse so this is a minor win for him.
isle_nuck
CC Rookie

Post by isle_nuck »

This contract only seems ok because it’s not the 7x7 that was reported earlier this week.

As Diehard said, Myers will be a whipping boy before the end of the season. He’s going to be given top four (top two?) minutes to justify the contact when at best he should be playing bottom pair.

He’s also going to suffer from what happened to the big Russian - the old time hockey crowd is going to take one look at his size and wonder why in the fuck he isn’t laying guys out.

If Benning continues to fish on future July 1’s (if he survives until the next one) it’s contracts like this one that will make life very difficult to give EP and QH the money they want/deserve when their respective ELCs are up.

We all laughed when the leaves had to give a first to ditch Marleau. I wonder what will have to be attached to Myers (or Beagle...) when our time comes.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Myers isnt andrew alberts. He can play.

People just think pronger or chara when they see that giant frame but he skates suprisingly well and can move the puck. Hes going to play in the top 4 and thats where he belongs.

6 mill a year for only 5 years as a ufa for what he brings to this market (right handed top 4 D) is a steal and he'll only be 34 when it expires.

Not seeing how this can be viewed as bad as you guys are making it out to be. Its a win
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

It's not a sreal, it's realistic. He a strong 2nd pairing guy and in some cases a 1st paring.
It's dependent on the opponent.
Dan; On FA day, it's a steal ;)
Hopefully, it's confirmed.

I won't comment on the HF guys's comments. :P
"evolution"
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

isle_nuck wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:10 am This contract only seems ok because it’s not the 7x7 that was reported earlier this week.

As Diehard said, Myers will be a whipping boy before the end of the season. He’s going to be given top four (top two?) minutes to justify the contact when at best he should be playing bottom pair.

He’s also going to suffer from what happened to the big Russian - the old time hockey crowd is going to take one look at his size and wonder why in the fuck he isn’t laying guys out.

If Benning continues to fish on future July 1’s (if he survives until the next one) it’s contracts like this one that will make life very difficult to give EP and QH the money they want/deserve when their respective ELCs are up.

We all laughed when the Leaves had to give a first to ditch Marleau. I wonder what will have to be attached to Myers (or Beagle...) when our time comes.
Supposedly it’s signing bonus heavy, meaning buyout proof. Yet another contract that we can’t get out of if it goes sideways.

I don’t hate the player, he’s a solid #4 guy who is paid more than that, but that’s the way it goes when you go UFA as Jimbo does. It would be nice if he could figure out a way to add assets other than overpaying in July 1.

Myers will be decent but those expecting more than that will be surprised. The Jimbro crowd will talk about how great this is because it’s slightly less than was rumoured, but it’s definitely paying full price for Myers.

Now let’s hope the Benn deal isn’t too long either - again I don’t mind the player at the right price and term.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Very pumped to see Jordie Benn in a Canucks jersey. He’s a team-first guy and an even better human being. He’ll take that bottom-pairing role vacated by Hutton, and he can actually defend.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:21 am Very pumped to see Jordie Benn in a Canucks jersey. He’s a team-first guy and an even better human being. He’ll take that bottom-pairing role vacated by Hutton, and he can actually defend.
He’s a nice pickup, again depending on term and $. I’m not sure he’s a huge upgrade on Hutton though - a bit better defensively and about the same offensively. I agree he will fit in well, always like to see local guys on the team.

If Myers and Benn are it for the D changes then the major improvement is still Hughes and where we can go with his game this year. Myers is an improvement on Guddy from last year and Benn and Hutton are a wash, but it’s likely not enough to make this a playoff team without Hughes scoring 40-50 points.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Sekera to Dallas on a 1 year term for $1.5 million with a potential for another $500k in bonuses. That’s a really nice deal for Dallas, they will be a very good team this year.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Few more minutes to find out but Jordie Benn for about 1 to 1.2 or 1,3, for the moment is an upgrade on Hutton.
Hutton has the tools but not the heart, (sorry), to take on an aggressive approach.
Benn is a deterrent to opponents who would take advantage of team mates.

Great beard too.
"evolution"
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Diehard1 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:15 am Supposedly it’s signing bonus heavy, meaning buyout proof. Yet another contract that we can’t get out of if it goes sideways.
If it truly goes sideways, sure. But this reported signing is over years that should still be productive years for defensemen. Ages 29-33. All players are different, of course, but there is nothing inherently risky about a term that goes through age 33 season for a defensemen.

And if it doesn't go sideways or goes a little sideways, this is likely not a millstone contract. Frontloading a contract means that if Myers' performance is decent top 4 (which is what I think he is, though some have argued he's no better than the group of bottom pairing defenders the Canucks have had masquerading as top 4), it should move from UFA value (team that values the highest pays the most because salary not worth it to others) to tradeable value as the cap increases. And a cap-sensible contract with more actual dollars paid out is more attractive to teams looking to trade, since cash is, well, cash. A few owners don't care about real cash; most do, some (any with an internal cap) care a whole heck of a lot.

Front loading contracts means more money for the player without a greater cap hit. (Player gets more money sooner, $1 million today has a 99+% chance of being more valuable in terms of purchasing power than $1 million in 5 years). The downside for the owner is that means correspondingly less cash value for the owner. For the team, buyouts become less attractive (what it looks like we are seeing with Eriksson). This situation is very rare, however, especially if there exists a market of teams needing to reach the cap floor. I'm not even sure the Canucks are there with Eriksson because we don't know how the NTC is working into the equation and the benefit of early payment isn't realized until today, where Eriksson will cost $3 million in real dollars per year (Beagle money....)
Hono_rary Canadian
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Diehard1 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:51 am
Island Nucklehead wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:21 am Very pumped to see Jordie Benn in a Canucks jersey. He’s a team-first guy and an even better human being. He’ll take that bottom-pairing role vacated by Hutton, and he can actually defend.
He’s a nice pickup, again depending on term and $. I’m not sure he’s a huge upgrade on Hutton though - a bit better defensively and about the same offensively. I agree he will fit in well, always like to see local guys on the team.

If Myers and Benn are it for the D changes then the major improvement is still Hughes and where we can go with his game this year. Myers is an improvement on Guddy from last year and Benn and Hutton are a wash, but it’s likely not enough to make this a playoff team without Hughes scoring 40-50 points.
Hughes looked all the player he was drafted to be in his brief debut. Lots to be encouraged by.
Myers likely will anchor the 2nd PP unit which will be a huge improvement. He has a shot and distributes well.

I'm liking the look of things now on the back end. Its not always the biggest splash but the team has definitely upgraded its greatest weakness.

Unless the rumours are baloney
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Not a great contract, but not a horrible one either.

The D is a bit better and I like the addition of Benn as a character bottom pairing guy.

I don’t have a huge problem with either deal and I’m glad Elmer kept the term down.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”