2019 offseason

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: 2019 offseason

Post by Diehard1 »

Strangelove wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:45 am UFA – Petey - Boeser
Pearson - Horvat - Virtanen
Baer – Gaudette – Sutter
Leivo – Beagle – Motte
Schaller
(plays every forward position)

Move out Eriksson, Spooner, don’t qualify Granlund.

Roussel starts season on LTIR, move Baer/Schaller out when he returns?

Edler – Tanev
Hughes – Tryamkin
Hutton – Stecher
Sautner – Woo

Waive Biega to Utica
Ya this looks reasonable. My guess is Jimbo goes after Ferland for LW, tries to trade Sutter (yes I'm hoping!) and maybe Baertschi if he can sign a LW. With Leivo, Pearson, Baertschi, Roussel and maybe a UFA there's too many bodies on LW. I also think Macewen makes the team out of camp on the 3rd or 4th line RW, and Schaller is long gone with Eriksson (please!), Spooner and Granlund. Goldy likely traded as well if they can get anything for him; if not he stays and plays the healthy scratch/scoring winger for 40 games next season.

On D, I'd move on from 2 of Edler/Tanev/Hutton. My guess is Jimbo brings back Edler, hopefully on a team friendly deal, and tries to trade a couple of the others. I fully expect Myers will be signed - I'd prefer that to giving up a ton of assets for 30 year old PK - and another depth guy or two.

I think we'll see more changes than usual this off-season given how many bodies there are - hopefully I'm proven right.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:55 am But I’d seriously consider trading our first this year or next year as part of a package for an established minute munching top 4 right shot dman.
It would have to a younger guy. I’d only trade the 10th this year for the right player but I honestly don’t see him out there and available. Next years 1st shouldn’t be on the table period. This will be another lottery pick and it’s a better draft than this year.

Seeing as the draft is in Vancouver though and Iggy isn’t the most popular guy here ATM, I can’t see him dealing this years 1st
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Strangelove wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:45 am
Edler – Tanev
Hughes – Tryamkin
Hutton – Stecher
Sautner – Woo

Waive Biega to Utica
Jett Woo tells the Calgary Sun that he recently had a minor meniscus surgery done on his knee adding he will be back on the ice in four weeks and ready for the start of the season. The knee is why he left Utica so quickly. #Canucks

But I am with you on him stating with the Canucks.
Notice he didn't actually tell the Calgary Sun who's season 8-)
"evolution"
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Strangelove wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 9:28 am Okay, with Jimmy's comments and what we know about the team's biggest needs

... is it fair to assume he'll kick the tires on a LWer for Petey and a RS dman?

Left Wingers:
Panarin
Skinner
Anders Lee
Ferland
Johansson

Right Side Dee:
Karlsson
Myers
Stralman

It seems to me that there are more than usual top players at those positions available this year.

I'd love any of those LWers and/or Karlsson for 7 years or Stralman for 2 years.

I doubt Stralman would sign for just 2 years, even if he were vastly overpaid

... but I'd try it if Karlsson said 'no' (likely).

So yeah, I could see us landing one of those left wingers.

But as we know they will all be "overpaid" as UFAs.

Then we talk Tryamkin to come back and play him on the right side. :D

Also it seems clear that they will move Loui this summer.

Thoughts?
Who are you and what have you done with Doc?

If we sign 1 LW and 1 D from your list then this would move the rebuild up fast.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Diehard1 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:04 am Ya this looks reasonable. My guess is Jimbo goes after Ferland for LW, tries to trade Sutter (yes I'm hoping!) and maybe Baertschi if he can sign a LW. With Leivo, Pearson, Baertschi, Roussel and maybe a UFA there's too many bodies on LW. I also think Macewen makes the team out of camp on the 3rd or 4th line RW, and Schaller is long gone with Eriksson (please!), Spooner and Granlund. Goldy likely traded as well if they can get anything for him; if not he stays and plays the healthy scratch/scoring winger for 40 games next season.
Sure, if MacEwen makes the team out of camp you can trade Sutter.

But I think he ends up being the first callup in Utica.

Hopefully Sutter shows the world he is healthy and puts up more points as a winger.

Then when Mac is ready, Sutter goes... hopefully mid-season?

We need to keep one of Baer/Goldie until at least Roussel is ready to return.

Pearson, Roussel, Goldie, and Leivo can play the right side if necessary btw.

Diehard1 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:04 am On D, I'd move on from 2 of Edler/Tanev/Hutton.
Whoa, you want to trade 2 of our best 3 dmen from last year? :crazy:

Diehard1 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:04 am I fully expect Myers will be signed
I could live with that. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:07 am
Richardstroker69 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:55 am But I’d seriously consider trading our first this year or next year as part of a package for an established minute munching top 4 right shot dman.
It would have to a younger guy. I’d only trade the 10th this year for the right player but I honestly don’t see him out there and available. Next years 1st shouldn’t be on the table period. This will be another lottery pick and it’s a better draft than this year.

Seeing as the draft is in Vancouver though and Iggy isn’t the most popular guy here ATM, I can’t see him dealing this years 1st
I sincerely doubt he moves this year's pick as well.

No problem trading next year's pick though, you could lottery protect it.

(although I'm sure this team makes the playoffs)

I wouldn't trade for a defenceman requiring expansion draft protection at this point.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Strangelove wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:28 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:07 am

I sincerely doubt he moves this year's pick as well.

No problem trading next year's pick though, you could lottery protect it.

(although I'm sure this team makes the playoffs)

I wouldn't trade for a defenceman requiring expansion draft protection at this point.
The only reason I would is you “should” be able to get a top 4 rhd for cheaper than usual because of the draft.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 12:41 pm The only reason I would is you “should” be able to get a top 4 rhd for cheaper than usual because of the draft.
Ahhh okay that makes sense.

Although by that logic it's better to wait until closer to the expansion draft no?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:59 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:52 am
Mëds wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:26 am Duncan Keith was drafted a year late and still took 3 years to make it to the NHL.....and this was when the Blackhawks sucked.

I’m not worried about Juolevi yet.
He was a 2nd round pick
Reinforcing my point that 17 is too young to effectively evaluate defensive prospects with any sort of consistency.
No argument about that from me.

The only time you draft a defenseman high is when you see clear signs of elite ability and IQ. This is especially true if there is any question regarding size. If a defenseman doesn't look like he's gonna be over 6ft tall and close on 200lbs, and mobile, his career likely isn't going to be overly memorable these days without the elite hockey IQ.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Strangelove wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:21 am
Diehard1 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:04 am Ya this looks reasonable. My guess is Jimbo goes after Ferland for LW, tries to trade Sutter (yes I'm hoping!) and maybe Baertschi if he can sign a LW. With Leivo, Pearson, Baertschi, Roussel and maybe a UFA there's too many bodies on LW. I also think Macewen makes the team out of camp on the 3rd or 4th line RW, and Schaller is long gone with Eriksson (please!), Spooner and Granlund. Goldy likely traded as well if they can get anything for him; if not he stays and plays the healthy scratch/scoring winger for 40 games next season.

Hopefully Sutter shows the world he is healthy and puts up more points as a winger.

Diehard1 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:04 am On D, I'd move on from 2 of Edler/Tanev/Hutton.

Yes, I would trade 2 of those guys. Edler was one of the best last year - I'd actually pick Stecher but it's close - but Tanev was not IMHO. Hutton is replaceable because of Hughes and Edler, again assuming Edler signs. Myers would replace Tanev who only has 1 year left anyway. The D was bad again last year, just like the year before and the year before that - time to rip off the band-aid and make big changes already.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Strangelove wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 12:50 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 12:41 pm The only reason I would is you “should” be able to get a top 4 rhd for cheaper than usual because of the draft.

Although by that logic it's better to wait until closer to the expansion draft no?
Yeah for sure, I just really think getting Elias brock and Quinn into the playoffs next year will pay huge dividends for the young core and to that end if there’s a better option than stralman or Myers mcquaid via trade utilizing next years lottery protected first I hope Jim explores it.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Diehard1 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:31 pm
Strangelove wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:21 am

Yes, I would trade 2 of those guys. Edler was one of the best last year - I'd actually pick Stecher but it's close - but Tanev was not IMHO. Hutton is replaceable because of Hughes and Edler, again assuming Edler signs. Myers would replace Tanev who only has 1 year left anyway. The D was bad again last year, just like the year before and the year before that - time to rip off the band-aid and make big changes already.
Agree to disagree on Stetcher being our best dman overall last season. :hmmm:

He stepped up admirably when Tanev went down, played HUGE minutes

... but that was only for the last 2 months of the season.

Tanev didn't have a great year, but he's still our best RS dman.

Edler is our best overall dman.

And I would argue Hutton, after a slow start, was our third best dee.

Jim might consider trading Hutton if he believes in Sautner and/or OJ is rehabbing well.

And I suppose it would be okay to trade Tanev if we signed one of Karlsson/Myers/Stralman

... or if Tryamkin is coming back.

But I would prefer trading Stecher over Tanev.

(trade em while they're hot)

And I would hold off on trading Hutton until next summer.

The band-aid can come off without trading Tanev and Hutton.

Look for new guys like Hughes, Sautner, Juolevi, UFA/Tryamkin to see a bunch of icetime next season.

And Woo?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:38 pm
Strangelove wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 12:50 pm

Yeah for sure, I just really think getting Elias brock and Quinn into the playoffs next year will pay huge dividends for the young core and to that end if there’s a better option than stralman or Myers mcquaid via trade utilizing next years lottery protected first I hope Jim explores it.
Depending on the defenseman, I could be convinced.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Mëds wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:26 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:59 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:52 am
Mëds wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:26 am Duncan Keith was drafted a year late and still took 3 years to make it to the NHL.....and this was when the Blackhawks sucked.

I’m not worried about Juolevi yet.
He was a 2nd round pick
Reinforcing my point that 17 is too young to effectively evaluate defensive prospects with any sort of consistency.
No argument about that from me.

The only time you draft a defenseman high is when you see clear signs of elite ability and IQ. This is especially true if there is any question regarding size. If a defenseman doesn't look like he's gonna be over 6ft tall and close on 200lbs, and mobile, his career likely isn't going to be overly memorable these days without the elite hockey IQ.
So that being said...what do we see in Juolevi? Not trying to kick off another gillis~benning flame-fest but curious what would be the elite indicator there...personally I saw a decent prospect but not necessarily indicating top pairing
If you need air...call it in
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Strangelove wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:50 pm Agree to disagree on Stetcher being our best dman overall last season. :hmmm:

He stepped up admirably when Tanev went down, played HUGE minutes

... but that was only for the last 2 months of the season.

Tanev didn't have a great year, but he's still our best RS dman.

Edler is our best overall dman.

And I would argue Hutton, after a slow start, was our third best dee.

Jim might consider trading Hutton if he believes in Sautner and/or OJ is rehabbing well.

And I suppose it would be okay to trade Tanev if we signed one of Karlsson/Myers/Stralman

... or if Tryamkin is coming back.

But I would prefer trading Stecher over Tanev.

(trade em while they're hot)

And I would hold off on trading Hutton until next summer.

The band-aid can come off without trading Tanev and Hutton.

Look for new guys like Hughes, Sautner, Juolevi, UFA/Tryamkin to see a bunch of icetime next season.

And Woo?
I would keep Stecher over Tanev for a few reasons - health, contract, age. I think Tanev's best days are behind him and expect him to continue to get worse rather than better, so I'd trade him over Stecher. Again I'm assuming Myers (or another RHD) signs so Tanev is expendable. If that doesn't happen keep Tanev until the deadline and make a decision then.

I think Hutton is at his peak value right now so should be trade bait. I expect Edler to re-sign, likely for 3 years, and with Hughes, Juolevi on the way, and a few other depth guys he's expendable. If Tryamkin is coming back even more so, but I don't expect that to happen.

If we don't trade anybody, even without signing anybody the depth chart is (again assuming Edler signs, which I think is close to a given):

LS:
Edler
Hughes
Hutton
Sautner
Juolevi
Teves
Brisebois

RS:
Tanev
Stecher
Biega
Rafferty
Chatfield
Eliot
Woo

I probably missed somebody as those are off the top of my head. A bunch of these guys will be in Utica, but then I expect another few signings as well so there will be a well stocked back end. It won't be as high quality as it needs to be (yet), but it's slowly getting better.

As for Woo, he's a big part of the future but he's only turning 19 in July, not even eligible for the AHL yet. If he has a huge camp perhaps he could steal a spot, but I think it's unlikely his time just yet. I believe he'll be a great partner for Hughes in the future though, assuming development continues for both of them that's likely our future #1 pairing.