Closing out the season (2018/19)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Would you rather see the Canucks Make or Miss the Playoffs this year?

MAKE - the kids will benefit
66%
MISS - what a waste
34%

Total votes: 29

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Closing out the season (2018/19)

Post by Topper »

RoyalDude wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:55 pm
Carlyee wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:33 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:18 pm
Potatometrics
This made me lol. I don't know who you are talking about though.

I say ride or die. The west sucks and we have a shot at the playoffs. Go for it but don't trade for rental players at the deadline. Seems like the stars aligning to me.

We need either Jack Hughes or some other offensive players by way of free agency. I concur that a mid 1st rounder probably means little in the medium term.
You know Sabremetrics? Invented by that nerd baseball fan? Well Melvin at HF (formerly Butt Gillis) fancies himself the hockey version of the dude who created Sabremetrics. He referred to his own drafting anal-lytics as the “potato” which led HF legend - Chef Boi RD to create the recipe Butto Gillisio Patata Gnocchi in celebration of Potatometrics!

Butt Gillis quickly changed his name to Melvin, but the gnocchi recipe is still a top seller and the Potatometrics carries on
His name is Bill James. At one time he published an annual book, The Baseball Abstract. It was always worth a read. Probably James' greatest work was in levelling minor league stats to project major league performance. A brilliant piece of work for evaluating talent. His work is not complicated and does not make wild assumptions so it contrasts greatly with the mumbo jumbo of hockey advanced stats.

The hockey advanced stats have more in common with cricket player ranking, but they lack the finesse and rigor of those calculations.

The advanced hockey numbers are little more than ghetto spitballing.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I thought potatometrics was Potatoe pontificating about something or other on this other chat site where all the gillis fans are still pining away from the loss of the greasy one
If you need air...call it in
Carlyee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Carlyee »

Topper wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:31 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:55 pm
Carlyee wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:33 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:18 pm
Potatometrics
This made me lol. I don't know who you are talking about though.

I say ride or die. The west sucks and we have a shot at the playoffs. Go for it but don't trade for rental players at the deadline. Seems like the stars aligning to me.

We need either Jack Hughes or some other offensive players by way of free agency. I concur that a mid 1st rounder probably means little in the medium term.
You know Sabremetrics? Invented by that nerd baseball fan? Well Melvin at HF (formerly Butt Gillis) fancies himself the hockey version of the dude who created Sabremetrics. He referred to his own drafting anal-lytics as the “potato” which led HF legend - Chef Boi RD to create the recipe Butto Gillisio Patata Gnocchi in celebration of Potatometrics!

Butt Gillis quickly changed his name to Melvin, but the gnocchi recipe is still a top seller and the Potatometrics carries on
His name is Bill James. At one time he published an annual book, The Baseball Abstract. It was always worth a read. Probably James' greatest work was in levelling minor league stats to project major league performance. A brilliant piece of work for evaluating talent. His work is not complicated and does not make wild assumptions so it contrasts greatly with the mumbo jumbo of hockey advanced stats.

The hockey advanced stats have more in common with cricket player ranking, but they lack the finesse and rigor of those calculations.

The advanced hockey numbers are little more than ghetto spitballing.
Advanced stats in hockey lack the historical correlation seen in stats from other sports. I agree with you that advanced stats in hockey are similar to throwing shit at a wall hoping some it sticks. Hockey has always had little brother syndrome.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I think hockey is to hard to quantify into advanced stats. I’d assume basketball would be as well. There’s too much going on and too many variables. Baseball is a different kettle of fish all together. No idea whether advanced stats in football are a thing.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:23 am I think hockey is to hard to quantify into advanced stats. I’d assume basketball would be as well. There’s too much going on and too many variables. Baseball is a different kettle of fish all together. No idea whether advanced stats in football are a thing.
It will get better with the gps tracking of players coming in next year. But it could also be a case of data over load, where the sorting and correlating will be a massive task.

No doubt there will be a massive pile of BS coming out of it.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:32 pm If they have a chance to be there they should try to be there.

But that doesn’t mean they should be buyers at the deadline or shy away from moving someone if a buyer is willing to pay a premium (Tanev go TO?). Organizationally, they’re probably better off missing this year and having a shot at a lottery bounce (we’re due), but given how tragic the race out West is, they might as well be involved.

Although I’m not sure I could stomach getting rolled by the Flames...
I'd be OK to them being a buyer if the target was Mark Stone, he'll only be 27 in Sept.

Ottawa is taking a massive shit right now, and their management group and owner is bad enough that it's looking more and more like their best players just don't want to stick around. Duchene turning down $8Mx8 is pretty clear because anyone who gives him enough in free agency to eclipse $64M over 7 years has their head up their asses because he is not worth $9M.

Tanev + 1st + Prospect + Conditional picks. Offer them a selection of Sutter, Baertschi, Goldobin, Granlund, and Loui, as filler.....and hope they take Sutter or Eriksson.

This is not a rental deal pipe dream though.

Our top-6 forwards would probably be as good as they've ever been.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Let them get a taste this year so they work that much harder next season. For Horvat, Boeser, Petey and Hughes to experience playoff atmosphere in Rogers Arena would be be amazing - Hopefully they face the Flames against who they match up nicely - maybe get an upset in the first round.

Free agents, this summer, will be more inclined to come to a team that has already made the dance to help the team make it to the next level. In my opinion, top tier UFAs will want to come to a team they know are on the rise, rather than a team that can't even make it to the playoffs, especially in the West this year where the bar is so low.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

vic wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:33 am Let them get a taste this year so they work that much harder next season. For Horvat, Boeser, Petey and Hughes to experience playoff atmosphere in Rogers Arena would be be amazing - Hopefully they face the Flames against who they match up nicely - maybe get an upset in the first round.

Free agents, this summer, will be more inclined to come to a team that has already made the dance to help the team make it to the next level. In my opinion, top tier UFAs will want to come to a team they know are on the rise, rather than a team that can't even make it to the playoffs, especially in the West this year where the bar is so low.
For sure!
Even if they got swept 1st round it would be a much better experience for a team of newcomers (and the fans) compared to the Sedin/Bieksa era
1st round sweep.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:36 pm
While there is a chance that in a season in which most of the Pacific division is hopeless, a mid-re-build Canucks could make the playoffs, could you really imagine them winning a series against a legitimate playoff team?
I truly believe a wildcard Canucks could beat Pacific top-seed Flames.

Now, every team in the wildcard hunt has caught up to the Canucks, and they're only one point back. Push for the playoffs baby - they'll either make it in, or with 1 loss could drop as low as 23rd and have decent draft odds.

Its literally the dream scenario!
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Mëds wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:09 am
Island Nucklehead wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:32 pm If they have a chance to be there they should try to be there.

But that doesn’t mean they should be buyers at the deadline or shy away from moving someone if a buyer is willing to pay a premium (Tanev go TO?). Organizationally, they’re probably better off missing this year and having a shot at a lottery bounce (we’re due), but given how tragic the race out West is, they might as well be involved.

I'd be OK to them being a buyer if the target was Mark Stone, he'll only be 27 in Sept.

Ottawa is taking a massive shit right now, and their management group and owner is bad enough that it's looking more and more like their best players just don't want to stick around. Duchene turning down $8Mx8 is pretty clear because anyone who gives him enough in free agency to eclipse $64M over 7 years has their head up their asses because he is not worth $9M.

Tanev + 1st + Prospect + Conditional picks. Offer them a selection of Sutter, Baertschi, Goldobin, Granlund, and Loui, as filler.....and hope they take Sutter or Eriksson.

The time to target stone is in free agency. He is not enough to push us over the top (maybe not even into the playoffs) this season.

On the return, not good enough for the Sens. They wouldn’t get Hughes, but maybe 1st+Tanev+Gaudette? Too much to give up for a rental. Also, subtracting Tanev further complicates our already-sketchy back-end.

Also, host the draft without a 1st rounder? Does not make for good draft viewing parties.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:08 pm

The time to target stone is in free agency. He is not enough to push us over the top (maybe not even into the playoffs) this season.

On the return, not good enough for the Sens. They wouldn’t get Hughes, but maybe 1st+Tanev+Gaudette? Too much to give up for a rental. Also, subtracting Tanev further complicates our already-sketchy back-end.

Also, host the draft without a 1st rounder? Does not make for good draft viewing parties.
Yeah, time to trade a 1st will be 2 years from now when this team is considered a contender based on what they do in free agency.

Players are probably already looking at Vancouver as a destination with the arrival of Petersson - if Hughes impresses in his short stint in March/April, it could be a tipping point for players like Stone to consider coming to VanCity in the off season.

There are some nice names on the 2020 UFA list as well.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:08 pm

The point would be to land him BEFORE we have to get into a bidding war in July. Like I said, not a rental. The point of getting him is not just to make the playoffs this season.
Ottawa doesn't have a 1st rounder in their first official "rebuild" year.....not good. Our 1st will be anywhere from 5th to 20th depending upon how we finish the season and do in any potential playoff series. You'll notice I didn't limit the return to just this year's 1st and Tanev.....and speaking of Tanev, he a current PART OF our "already-sketchy back-end". His lack of usefulness on the other side of the red-line is part of our overall problem and a contributing factor in our inability to generate offense at times.
Spoken like a true fan who just wants to be entertained. The focus shouldn't be on draft viewing parties, it should be post-game parties and win celebrations. Mark Stone (or any player of his caliber) is a known commodity who will put pucks in the net and thereby ticks in the win column and subsequently asses in seats at Rogers. Our 2019 first round draft pick could end up being another Jake Virtanen, Cody Hodgson, Hunter Shinkaruk, Brendan Gaunce, Jared McCann, Jordan Schroeder, Patrick White, Kirill Koltsov, Brad Ference, Nathan Smith, just as easily (more likely actually) as it's another Brock Boeser, Elias Pettersson, Bo Horvat, or Ryan Kesler.

But yeah, it's better to dismiss getting a known star player and hang on to the dice and pray they come up snake eyes rather than piss off a few retarded draft fanboys who prefer the thrill of a maybe.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Not sure you why you threw Jake in the shitty pile but didn’t even mention Olaf. He could be a far worse blunder than Virtanen

I like Stone but his team needs assets. Wait till July 1.

No more spending 2-4 million on five different flavours of slugs. This team needs impact talent.

One of EK, Stone or Duchene
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

I think Andre Burakovsky is a decent choice for right now. His career has waggled a tad but he's still young and is on a very good team.
His contract is up and me thinks the Caps may have other things in mind.
No, it's not splashy but for now, it's a realistic replacement for Horvat to play with since it really sounds iffy for Bartschi.
"evolution"
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:54 pm Not sure you why you threw Jake in the shitty pile but didn’t even mention Olaf. He could be a far worse blunder than Virtanen

I like Stone but his team needs assets. Wait till July 1.

No more spending 2-4 million on five different flavours of slugs. This team needs impact talent.

One of EK, Stone or Duchene
Pass on Duchene, he’ll be over paid and I was unimpressed with his Uber video, potential to be a cancer.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.